Adding channels to WMC question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my first HTPC is all set up and today I got my HDHomerun Dual. I'm attempting to set up WMC, but every time I run a scan it will pick up channels during the scan, but when it is complete it will tell me there are no channels found. If I interrupt the scan it I can watch the channel. What am I doing wrong. It's a QAM cable signal. Help. If I use the HDHomeRun Quick TV I get a bunch of channels, but no sound. This is frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Could my router be the problem? It's a Linksys WRT54G. I know it isn't the best, but it works.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Is your HTPC connected to the router via wire, or wireless.

If wireless, try the wired connection.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
I read somewhere that Media Center does not add the channel if it doesnt have a listing name, something.

You might have to add them manually

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
post #5 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

It's wired directly and I updated the names that weren't exact. I can't figure it out.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 12
Here is a tool to try - GuideTool. It will help you manage your channels for WMC.

Your problem with channels showing video but no audio even in QuickTV may be a video/audio driver issue. Check for the latest drivers.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 10
+1 for guidtool! I use it to manage my channel listings and such on my main MCE rig from my laptop. No ned to drag out the mouse and keyboard and minimize MCE on the tv, or even interrupt current viewing that way.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #8 of 10 Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

The problem is I'm not getting any channels in WMC to manage. I called Silicon Dust, but they don't do tech support on the phone and their emails aren't solving any issues.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

+1 for guidtool! I use it to manage my channel listings and such on my main MCE rig from my laptop. No ned to drag out the mouse and keyboard and minimize MCE on the tv, or even interrupt current viewing that way.

It seems I can add the channels manually to WMC, but in doing so I don't get any guide info. Is there a way I can do that? Can this guide tool help? I downloaded it, but honestly I'm more of a geek-wannabe. I'm still in training. Help.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefejt View Post

It seems I can add the channels manually to WMC, but in doing so I don't get any guide info. Is there a way I can do that? Can this guide tool help? I downloaded it, but honestly I'm more of a geek-wannabe. I'm still in training. Help.

The HDHR dual software has a tool in it called WMC sync which SD probalby sent you a link too to try. I will add two discriptions of how to add channels. Getting the guide to sync is a bigger problem for the standard definition channels than the HD ones that should reference as X.1; like 5.1. These should link in easily in WMC and give guide listings but you must check the channel listings between Zap 2it and what is on your HDHR setup on the Digital Cable tab so that they are listed the same on both lists. Guide tool makes it easier to do this as you can see more channels at one time and easily make changes to the channel name; like KOMODT is 4.1 for me is HD where KOMO is 4 standard definition. Here are two past posts from the SD dual tuner section of the SD forum page on the subject, one is from the FAQ.

In HDHR Setup Application, Digital Cable tab have you changed the names for each channel in the "Guide Name" column to match what Zap2it is listing for each channel? I think in order for the WMC Sync program work properly this needs to be done.

In my case the WMC Sync program will do about 90% of the job in getting Windows Media Center(WMC) to see the channels I can receive. I have a handful that are listed correctly in the "Guide Name" column and they still don't get synced. For me these are the HD version of the networks plus PBS HD.

To get the missing channels in WMC Select Tasks->TV->Guide->Add Missing Channels->Add QAM Channel->
Then from the "Tune" column of HDHR Setup application, digital cable tab enter the numbers for your missing channel(14-2 for example), then click next, now select the modulation type (probably QAM256) by clicking the "+" button, then click next, now enter the name of the channel(I use the Zap2it name when doing this) then click add. Repeat these steps for each missing channel.

Once you have added all the missing channels click "Done" on the Add Missing Channels page, this takes you back to the guide page where you need to click "Edit Channels".

From the edit channels page you can edit the channels you just added so the numbers match what you want them to be. For example if you added a missing channel 14-2 and you would normally see it displayed in the guide as 8-1, you would locate 14-2 in the list click on it and change it to 8-1. What you are changing is just the displayed channel number so you won't screw anything up by changing it. So change it to 8-1 and then click "edit listings" (click "yes" to save changes if you haven't already).

This will bring up the channel listings page. You can scroll down to find the correct listing (or type a few letters first will speed it up a bit) click on the correct listing which takes you back to the settings page where you want to click save. Repeat for any remaining channels you added.

Tips: Sometimes the "missing channels" aren't missing at all and you don't need to add them but simply edit the "displayed" channel number and listings to get them right. You CAN add them manually if you so choose. The "Tune" column of the HDHR Setup App, "Digital Cable" tab can help you with this look for those "Tune" numbers in WMC to see if they are already there.

If you are editing listings and WMC tells you that a channels listings are already assigned I always select the option to copy the listings to the channel I added.

Don't forget to make sure the channels you want to watch or record from have "check" marks next to them in the "Edit Channels" list (and the ones you don't watch or record from have no "check" marks").

I hope these "simple" instructions help you out! From kanipek
1) Close WMC and go into HDHomeRun Setup, go to the Advanced tab, and set the VCT mode to Block

2) On the Digital Cable tab, make sure all your channel names match the name that Zap2it uses for the channel, then click Apply/OK

3) Open WMC and go through the setup wizard. It will report that no channels were found; this is normal.

4) Close WMC, browse to c:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun and double click on hdhomerun_wmc_sync. It will run for a few seconds then close. Once it closes, open WMC and check to see if your channels are now enabled correctly.
You can always set up the guide data manually by going into Tasks > Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels > channel > Edit Listings and clicking on the correct listing for the channel.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page