Recorded TV HD who's using it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got all the pieces and am getting ready to put together my htpc with ceton tuner. It will be used as a "dvr" and for movies only. So I was looking for a way to spice up the recorded tv section of wmc and found Recorded Tv Hd. I did and search and can't find much on the forum.

Was just curious if anyone was using or has used this and if so what your thoughts are on it. Is it a good worthwhile program? Pros? Cons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What do you mean by "spice up.."?

post #3 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of having a media browser like UI for my recorded TV. One of the other features I liked was the fact that you can setup favorites so that I can have my shows on one and my fiance's on another so we don't have to go through each others shows looking for the ones we want.

I am not set on this program it is just the only one I have seen thus far. If there are others out there or other ways people are doing something similar I would love to hear it. If there are if you can just let me know what kinds of things to search for I don't mind doing my own legwork at all (in fact thats alot of the fun) just need a shove in the right direction.
post #4 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am using RecordedTV HD (on the last few days of the 30 day free trial) and it certainly cleans up your recordings display compared to the standard WMC offering.

Pro's:
nice artwork and backdrops for most programmes
tidy folder structure similar to Mediabrowser
easy to use

Con's:
no artwork for some non-series (one off) recordings
no add recording feature from menu (so no search on keyword etc)
cost - $19.99

I had hoped I could hide the WMC TV menu strip and just use the RecordedTV one to make it family friendly but I have ended up with both because of a few missing bits. Having said that I do tend to use the RecordedTV HD menu more than the WMC one. It has a 30 day free trial so give it a go and see how you get on with it.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Heuer for the pros and cons. Did you like it enough that you think you will buy it? I plan on trying out the trial first just like to do all my research before I get into things so I know what to excpect.

On your problem of having the WMC TV strip have you tried using the hide menu strips application that you can download? Not sure if that would help or not but I have seen that in the forums.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like the OP i wanted something to "spice up" the appearance of my recorded shows and found recorded tv hd to do everything I wanted. I was looking for something similiar to mediabrowser and this works.

I was happy enough to purchase it and haven't regretted it since.
Although it can be buggy (i've got mine setup so that when i hit the "recorded tv" button on my harmony it goes directly to the recorded tv hd list) it sometimes will not respond to the button command. But this has been rare and few and far between.

As for searching for new programs to record...I usually either go to the "schedule" tab under recorded tv hd or I'll just go to the guide and move to whatever day and time, if I'm searching for a particular program.

I would recommend it if you're looking for something similiar to mediabrowser interface.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I tried it but found it to be a bit buggy and prone to crashing. Newer versions may have improved this however.

post #8 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks linguica101 for the mini review, I think that I am pretty much sold on trying this one out and hopefully it works well. I really want something that has good WAF and makes things look a little nicer.

ToddUGA I have heard about there being some bugs in the things I have read I'm hoping they got worked out and won't be an issue in newer versions.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tried it out and ended up not liking it too much. At first I did. But it just had an unpolished feeling and I didn't think it was worth the money.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post

On your problem of having the WMC TV strip have you tried using the hide menu strips application that you can download? Not sure if that would help or not but I have seen that in the forums.

I use the hide menu strip application but because RecordedTV HD only gives me 90% of the functionality of the native WMC TV I keep both. I now have 3 days of the trial left before deciding and last night cleared out a lot of recordings I have never (or will ever) get around to watching. As a result I am left with about four 'folders' so it probably means I will not bother with purchasing. It is a good application if you have dozens of recordings you want to keep or have not watched as they are neatly indexed but if you watch and delete stuff maybe this is not for you. I have spotted a couple of bugs but they came and went so it has been stable for me but then I only have a few recordings.
post #11 of 28 Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just checked this out. Wow! Pretty awesome stuff. Seems like a big improvement over the default recorded tv menu. I haven't encountered any issues yet. Is there some way to edit favorites from within WMC though?
post #12 of 28 Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM

I will have to check this out as it looks and seems like it functions much better than the default WMC crappy interface.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
I love it. BTW, I think the 19.99 price is just for the month of April, then it goes back to 39.99.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I tried it out and ended up not liking it too much. At first I did. But it just had an unpolished feeling and I didn't think it was worth the money.

Never tired this one and thinking to try it. It looks like it is a MyMovies but for TV shows.

Was it successfully uninstalled the product and without any problem afterward?
post #15 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole View Post

I love it. BTW, I think the 19.99 price is just for the month of April, then it goes back to 39.99.

For one computer plus extenders it is only 9.99 if you have multiple htpc's you can get the whole house version for 19.99.

I have been using this as the trial and bought it after the trial was up. Way better that the recorded tv setup that comes with wmc. My fiance can use it and likes the setup also which is a big plus.

I would say anyone intersted it is worth it to try it out for 30 days with the free trial and see how you like it.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I tried it for a while and liked it, but not well enough to buy it. I could find poster art for the vast majority of the shows I recorded and could usually find fan art for everything else. The thing is, I don't stockpile a lot of TV shows if I can help it and tend to delete them immediately after viewing to make room for future recordings. The result was a relatively sparse window of TV poster art.

I found that I actually preferred using the WMC list view as it allowed me to see most of my recordings at a single glance rather than having to identify the cover art for each show. I also prefer to have my recordings in chronological order rather than grouped by title, unless I have an archive of shows that I haven't watched yet such as an older TV series I acquired via torrent sites. I'll usually have them stored on my server rather than in my Recorded TV folder anyway. Besides, XBMC gets me all the poster art I need for archived shows and movies.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I tried it for a while and liked it, but not well enough to buy it. I could find poster art for the vast majority of the shows I recorded and could usually find fan art for everything else. The thing is, I don't stockpile a lot of TV shows if I can help it and tend to delete them immediately after viewing to make room for future recordings. The result was a relatively sparse window of TV poster art.

I found that I actually preferred using the WMC list view as it allowed me to see most of my recordings at a single glance rather than having to identify the cover art for each show. I also prefer to have my recordings in chronological order rather than grouped by title, unless I have an archive of shows that I haven't watched yet such as an older TV series I acquired via torrent sites. I'll usually have them stored on my server rather than in my Recorded TV folder anyway. Besides, XBMC gets me all the poster art I need for archived shows and movies.

You can do all of the things you described with recordedtvhd. I like the list view myself.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I just downloaded and I like it a lot. Not sure if I want to pay $20 for it but I just might. I didn't even know this program existed.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

I just downloaded and I like it a lot. Not sure if I want to pay $20 for it but I just might. I didn't even know this program existed.

Same here and I tried it last night and it works quite well. Few options that I wanted did not have it in the released version and I ended up taking the Beta a try and able to achieve what I want now.

The only thing I need now is I want to able to jump to the recorded tv hd screen when my HTPC wake up or reboot since we want to start to play one of those Recorded TV shows. If anyone know how to do that, please share. Thanks.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 13
Your timing is a bit late. It was 1/2 off in April. I bought it and am currently using the beta version. It works really well for my purposes, but I'm not using extenders, or commercial skip function nor am I using it for movies (TV or otherwise) - just for TV series. The author is responsive to suggestions (within the limits of the Media Center interface) but as to whether it's worth $20 is up to you.

As to a sparse view because you don't stockpile shows, I keep a dummy SD version of each show on my harddrive so the artwork is available. You could probably even use any small .avi file, just name it appropriately - doesn't take up much room.
post #21 of 28 Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM

I just found out about this as well. I took the plunge with the $9.99 April special.

I'm now on day 3. Thought so far:

- Much, much prettier than the standard view
- Something I could never get WMC to do: group by show with newest recordings 1st. Very happy RTVHD does this.
- Crashed once. So far, just once.
- I could see the favorites becoming a great feature
- Still undecided about the commercial skip indicators. It's nice to see, but
a) I wish it wasn't blood red. Perhaps a more subtle color yet still visible?
b) The slight flicker to your MC background is somewhat annoying. Not a dealbreaker, but reminds you this is a hack and not a feature, per se.
- As someone else mentioned, for those shows w/o a background, it's unfortunate how bare the screen is (list view). I know you can add your own backdrops, but I wish there was some default picture rather than nothing. Sort of like a website's 404 error. Custom messages are less disruptive than the stock browser error.
- Changing the Recorded TV button worked fine for me.

If the app weren't on sale for $9.99, I probably wouldn't have done it. But I did, so far I'm pretty happy with it.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

I downloaded, installed and bought it last night and so far I really like it and the wife does too!
post #23 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Try the beta version if you feel comfortable. It gives few more options and you can change all the settings from the WMC now.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Is there a link somewhere to this plugin?

post #25 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole View Post

You can do all of the things you described with recordedtvhd. I like the list view myself.

The point is that I can already do it with Media Center, so why would I need an extra app that I have to pay for to do the same thing?
post #26 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Try the beta version if you feel comfortable. It gives few more options and you can change all the settings from the WMC now.

Has the beta been stable?
post #27 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Is there a link somewhere to this plugin?

Release: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download...dTVHDSetup.msi
Beta: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download...dTVHDSetup.msi

Quote:

The point is that I can already do it with Media Center, so why would I need an extra app that I have to pay for to do the same thing?

If I may, yes WMC can do most of that but this app will be able to dress up the Recorded TV shows nicely with more info. I look at this is the add on and sort of the MyMovies version of the Recorded TV for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel View Post

Has the beta been stable?

I've been using only for few days and I have zero problem so far. No crash and actually it is pretty fast and smooth to me.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

You suggested that you were unable to do those things with recordedtvhd. I was informing people that you can in fact do all of the things plus have the benefits of the more eye pleasing interface that recordedtvhd provides.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page