Anyone have a WORKING weather app for WMC7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I installed mceWeather and it won't find any cities. I then tried HeatWave which found my small city but never updated the weather information. Basically, neither of these work. Is there a working solution to having weather on WMC? I saw one guy had current conditions on his at the top but I think that was in Media Browser via mceWeather back when it worked. Not sure. As a bonus to having a working weather app I would like one that puts the current conditions in a small widget at the top of all the WMC dashboard screens. That would be super cool.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
MediaBrowser.

post #3 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

MediaBrowser.

I wasn't aware Media Browser had a weather client built in. That was one of the programs next up on my list to install and figure out so I'll just check 'weather' off the list and move on. Thanks!

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #4 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
I was curious if there was one that was working outside of media browser also, but found that the other two aren't any longer. Looked like Heatwave was a nice looking plugin.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post

I was curious if there was one that was working outside of media browser also, but found that the other two aren't any longer. Looked like Heatwave was a nice looking plugin.

Heatwave was the best. It broke when weather.com changed the API. Some have tried to get the source with no response to date from the developer. One post talked of writing a fetch program that would retrieve the data from weather underground and allow us to use the heatwave UI but I have seen nothing yet...

See also the thread @ thegreenbutton.tv
post #6 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're into coding, how about going to the source.. The National Weather Service through NOAA?

Maybe their RSS will plug right in??

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/rss/

EDIT:

Here's the xml for San Diego, CA. Couldn't that be coded in pretty easily? I'm not a coder or script writer so I just don't know..

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...d=SDSWD&num=48

Second EDIT:

That was for current conditions.

This page returns xml based on zip code, address or landmark:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxt...ex.php?wfo=sgx

Here's more:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ndfd/

post #7 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding that all the weather services on line tap into this (paid for with your tax dollars) and then "enhance" it so it looks pretty. weather.gov looks pretty good just as it is, IMHO.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post

Yeah, I just found out the hard way that neither of them work. mceWeather was easy enough to uninstall with an option in the Start menu folder. HeatWave wasn't as simple though and I'm going to have to do a little more work to get it off of my machine now when I get a chance. I think for me since I was planning to install Media Browser I will just proceed with that plan and see if it meets my needs. If not, I will look into other things. I'm not too picky other than wanting a little widget at the top of the WMC start page but I'm not sure anything will do that save for maybe something like Media Center Studio maybe? MB will have it at the top which is good enough for that but I would like to see it on all the screens on the WMC dash.

Jer

post #9 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

Yeah, I just found out the hard way that neither of them work. mceWeather was easy enough to uninstall with an option in the Start menu folder. HeatWave wasn't as simple though and I'm going to have to do a little more work to get it off of my machine now when I get a chance. I think for me since I was planning to install Media Browser I will just proceed with that plan and see if it meets my needs. If not, I will look into other things. I'm not too picky other than wanting a little widget at the top of the WMC start page but I'm not sure anything will do that save for maybe something like Media Center Studio maybe? MB will have it at the top which is good enough for that but I would like to see it on all the screens on the WMC dash.

You will need to enable it in MBConfig to have it.

I load MB when WMC loads so it is there right away.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah but we also navigate to Recorded TV, Guide & Live TV pretty commonly so this is why I wish it could be added in the same fashion on the WMC dashboard as well. I am excited to install Media Browser and start messing with some of the features. Thanks for the tip on enabling it in the settings.

Jer

post #11 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah but we also navigate to Recorded TV, Guide & Live TV pretty commonly so this is why I wish it could be added in the same fashion on the WMC dashboard as well. I am excited to install Media Browser and start messing with some of the features. Thanks for the tip on enabling it in the settings.

That is why I wanted to have it on the menu also, I will probably be using live TV and recorded Tv more than movies.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

I entered my yahoo weather ID in media browser config and I never see weather info pull in. Anyone else experience that?
post #13 of 19 Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:

MediaBrowser.

This.

In the set up you just enter your zip code.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a quick point to this in case anyone else is having problems. Turns out the newer version doesn't display weather by default and it appears as though it has something to do with the theme. I changed the theme to another free one (chocolate) and it showed up. This may save someone else the headache I went through trying to get a simple answer to a question that shouldn't even have to be asked in the first place. It should just work out of the box if you enter that information.

Jer

post #15 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

It should just work out of the box if you enter that information.

Welcome to HTPC.

Nothing "just works out of the box".
post #16 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Welcome to HTPC.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #17 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Welcome to HTPC.

Call me crazy but I've helped countless people on this forum over the years and I didn't know that these days one has to pay in order to get a couple simple pointers like 'make sure that you change the default theme to something else to display the weather' and 'make sure each movie is in it's own individual folder with the same file name' to correct the problems I was having. I guess that karma I built up many years ago expired, huh?

It's fine because I've tried opening Media Browser a few times now in an Xbox extender and half of the times I opened it it crashed my Xbox to the point of needing to be powered off and back on to fix. Each time it was when I was trying to change the 'View' which doesn't seem like it should be so hardware intensive. Life was fine w/o Media Browser so I'll just go back to that. Thanks for all the help or lack thereof in trying to get Media Browser doing basic things though.

Jer

post #18 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Call me crazy but I've helped countless people on this forum over the years and I didn't know that these days one has to pay in order to get a couple simple pointers like 'make sure that you change the default theme to something else to display the weather' and 'make sure each movie is in it's own individual folder with the same file name' to correct the problems I was having. I guess that karma I built up many years ago expired, huh?

It's fine because I've tried opening Media Browser a few times now in an Xbox extender and half of the times I opened it it crashed my Xbox to the point of needing to be powered off and back on to fix. Each time it was when I was trying to change the 'View' which doesn't seem like it should be so hardware intensive. Life was fine w/o Media Browser so I'll just go back to that. Thanks for all the help or lack thereof in trying to get Media Browser doing basic things though.

I am not exactly sure what your asking...

I'd be glad to help ya...

-

post #19 of 19 Old 03-05-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That information is on these forums without paying and it is on the MediaBrowser forums as well.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page