Hooked up PC to Plasma... burn in? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hooked up my old PC to my 60" Panasonic plasma. Looks good, but I'm worried about burn in. Is there anything I can do this to make it much less of an issue? I turned the taskbar to autohide and I made my background a slideshow that changes frequently. Screensaver goes on after 2 minutes.

Generally speaking, I'll probably use this for media playback like videos. However, i'm worried about when I do a session of internet surfing on Chrome and that the application UI will cause some IR or even burn in.

Any tips tricks or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic View Post

I hooked up my old PC to my 60" Panasonic plasma. Looks good, but I'm worried about burn in. Is there anything I can do this to make it much less of an issue? I turned the taskbar to autohide and I made my background a slideshow that changes frequently. Screensaver goes on after 2 minutes.

Generally speaking, I'll probably use this for media playback like videos. However, i'm worried about when I do a session of internet surfing on Chrome and that the application UI will cause some IR or even burn in.

I use my d6500 for 70% pc and haven't had mkuch issues. Any ir goes away after watching a film.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Valid concern with any stationary objects (logo, tickers, etc...) I make sure the screen goes black after a min or two of inactivity. Also, newer sets are less prone to this and it is much less an issue after the plasma has over 1K hours on it.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

Also, newer sets are less prone to this and it is much less an issue after the plasma has over 1K hours on it.

I have a Panasonic TH - 42PX60U which has well over 1k hrs, IR and burn in are still a problem.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #5 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

How old is your plasma? I have a 6 year old 65" panasonic plasma and it seems very resistent to burn in. I've played countless hours of xbox games on it and never had any burn in. The crosshair from FPS games stays in the same place the entire game, still no burn in.

An older plasma my be in your favor in this case. I believe burn in is more of a problem when a plasma is brand new. If you're really concerned you can reduce the contrast, but I doubt you'll have any problem to begin with.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Mfg date on my Panny is '05 and after several hours of Xbox or PS3 games there is major IR. Usually takes several hours of tv watching to remove it.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ditto for my '10 Sammy - major IR
post #8 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

I see brief periods of burn in on my plasma. It goes away a minute or so after the picture changes.

To help with the problem I have the taskbar set to hide, I don't have icons on the desktop and I have my background picture set to change every minute.

The biggest problem is if I let the picture sit on the windows media center menu for too long or if I pause a program for too long. The "bugs" that television stations have on the picture and tickers also bother me.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have my screen saver set to constantly play a slideshow of my photos, which helps avoid the problem.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Mfg date on my Panny is '05 and after several hours of Xbox or PS3 games there is major IR. Usually takes several hours of tv watching to remove it.

Maybe I just got lucky with my plasma (built in 06). I was actually surprised when I bought it that ir never occured. I assumed panasonic had mostly solved the ir problems.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wish my 7 year old plasma would suffer from noticable burn in so I could justify replacing it.

Seriously, adjust your settings properly so that your TV isn't sitting there in "torch" mode and you should be fine.

-Suntan
post #12 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously, adjust your settings properly so that your TV isn't sitting there in "torch" mode and you should be fine.

Already did and do - brightness and contrast are both running around 40% and get still get pretty good IR - and all I do is watch movies, no surfing at all...
post #13 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic View Post

Definately please be careful. Not only is IR or burn-in possible, so is the possibility of uneven phosper wear. I screwed up my original Pioneer 5020 with this. Plasma was setup as secondary monitor that duplicated the primary in 4:3 mode, so the background was in 4:3 with black bars on the plasma. Used a screensaver etc to avoid burn-in, but imagine my horror after a few weeks when I watched something in full screen and the black bar area was substantially brighter than the middle. It never did go away completely

post #14 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM

I think some people are confusing burn in with image retention. As long as you're careful with it and switch up what you watch you'll be fine. I'd avoid playing espn or something similar with bright static logos for hours on end otherwise you'll get some IR that can take some time to go away. You're always going to get some IR but it not as much of an issue on newer sets as long as you don't abuse it.

Most of all, just enjoy your set and don't get paranoid about burn in otherwise you'll think about it whenever you're watching something.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrinks View Post

I think some people are confusing burn in with image retention. As long as you're careful with it and switch up what you watch you'll be fine. I'd avoid playing espn or something similar with bright static logos for hours on end otherwise you'll get some IR that can take some time to go away. You're always going to get some IR but it not as much of an issue on newer sets as long as you don't abuse it.

Most of all, just enjoy your set and don't get paranoid about burn in otherwise you'll think about it whenever you're watching something.

Ya IR is always gonna be there no matter what people say torch mode or not and burn in is almost always an extreme case of misuse or neglect.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page