DVD to PC Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alright, I'm looking for a simple-as-pie and easily-repeated way to rip DVDs onto an PC; lots of DVDs (all legal, of course; I just have a whole lot of them). Something as simple as iTunes or Windows Media Player; and I'm not averse to commercial software.

What's out there? (Or is this mostly a lost cause based on the recent Kalediscape ruling?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm fully clear on exactly what you're asking.

A lot is more going to depending on what you plan to play the movies with because not all players with play all video formats.

For free, two popular choices are Handbrake and MakeMKV. MakeMKV is fast because it just puts your DVD into an MKV container. Handbrake will take a lot longer to do it, but it transcodes the DVD but can make the file size a lot smaller. Some use both.

I believe MakeMKV may have some build in encryption break for DVDs; maybe BR. If not, you'll need something like AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD. I know there is an opensource program too, but I don't know the name. I use AnyDVD HD with both Handbrake and MakeMKV so I don't know what limits or truly if they have DVD unecryption build in.

Alas, if you have a lot of DVDs you want to digitize, it's just going to take time. So it will be something you'll just want to work a small bit at a time every day.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
on a side note, although you may have legally purchased your DVDs, unless there has bee some new law or regulation, breaking the encryption on any DVD or BR is illegal in the US. You're just not likely to get caught as long as its only for your private viewing.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Alright, I'm looking for a simple-as-pie and easily-repeated way to rip DVDs onto an PC; lots of DVDs (all legal, of course; I just have a whole lot of them). Something as simple as iTunes or Windows Media Player; and I'm not averse to commercial software.

What's out there? (Or is this mostly a lost cause based on the recent Kalediscape ruling?).

I wouldn't call iTunes simple, the most convoluted and archaic program to dump media files on a portable device...

As others suggested there are a number of free and paid programs to do that.

However, breaking the encryption on a DVD is crime. The other side of the coin is that fair use act allows you to create personal back up.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
You need MakeMKV for a simple solution.

There is also MKVFox for your simplist solution.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dvdfab is a great all in one solution if you don't mind paying.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
If you want really simple (and are willing to pay $40) the program CloneDVD2 by Slysoft (makers of AnyDVD) is the easiest I've seen.
It has a built in viewer screen so you can see exactly what your selecting if you only want to rip the main movie or specifc sections of a movie(i.e episode 1 is not always the first in numeric order on the disk). I use this viewer a lot when I rip episodes individually from a disk with multiple episodes.
You can do the entire disk or just the main movie. It does ISO or Video_TS and you can select a disk size if your ripping to another disk rather than a HD.
Good Luck
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page