Stream HD through router to bedroom HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to get a barebones cheap HTPC for my bedroom and using my main HTPC as a "server" stream content through my wireless N router.

Distance is about 50-60ft with no walls(loft).

Will I be able to stream TV recordings from a Hauppauge with cable card?

How much buffering will take place?

I only watch TV upstairs before bed and not sure I even care but thats one less cable box rental.

My Main rig could use an update(core2duo) but honestly gets the job done ripping and extracting files fast enough although I would like to build another one just for the hell of it sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one htpc in the living room and one in the bedroom with a wireless-n router in the middle. With a 150 link speed and full signal (one wall and only 25 feet apart); it's just not fast enough. Sometimes it'll play fine but about half the time the video lags and studders for 15 seconds every 5-10 minutes.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
you could do what you say. A lot is going to depend on your setup and what radio interference you may have. The software could have some effect as well.

I have HTPC in the living room, and use to be in the family room (TV went out). That computer is connected to my network wirelessly. I do my TV recordings on my office PC that is connected by wire to my router; I also have a HDHomerun connected to my network. I use WMC, and have it set to share all recordings to all the machines using WMC. It plays fine. Here and there I get some stutter (pixelation). Most of time it's just interferences from the microwave; sometime I don't know where the interference is coming from.

On the same machines, I can play movies using Plex with no issues; the HDDs with the movies are connected to the office PC.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx View Post

I want to get a barebones cheap HTPC for my bedroom and using my main HTPC as a "server" stream content through my wireless N router.

I only watch TV upstairs before bed and not sure I even care but thats one less cable box rental.

My Main rig could use an update(core2duo) but honestly gets the job done ripping and extracting files fast enough although I would like to build another one just for the hell of it sometime.

I assume you have the Hauppauge CableCard tuner, the answer is NO.

Only Ceton allows you to assign tuners to other PC's for live TV viewing and recording.

You may or may not be able to view recorded TV content if it is not flagged, which is dependant on the provider.

The only allowed way to view Live TV at a location other than HTPC that the cableCard tuner is connected to is through a media Center extender. There are a bunch of discontinued on ebay for under $100. XBOX can be used a media center extender as well (NOT PS3, nor Wii, only XBOX)

As to wifi, you will only be able to test that when you set it up. Wifi is not the recommended way to stream HD content, since wifi signal is "dirty" (lots of lost packets, which is OK for internet, but not ok for HD video.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx View Post

No but you should be able to access them using an xbox extended from your computer, best price is $200 new. Cannot recommend wireless as no matter how good the signal you will have packet loss. You just do not realize it with the internet like you will when you try to stream HD wireless. Some do manage to do this quite well by using a dual N band router and setting it to only the 5 Ghz band. This has the least amount of EMI but a slightly smaller range. Overall I think your open area and short distances are favorable to wireless but if you go extender it will be an issue most likely.

Quote:

None, none of the CC tuners have much if any buffers they just stream information. If a packet is lost it is gone and lost forever.

Quote:

The xbox really has some advantages in that you can schedule recordings on the original computer from it and play back those recordings so even copyonce content is available everywhere. Hopefully the Ceton Echo will be a nice option with a slightly lower price point. Also if you are using a tuner on the computer and then use an extender to tune the same channel you will only use one tuner (but there will be a lag in signal of about one second to the xbox not so great for an open area).
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page