AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

What's fishy?

That there's no information about where the streams come from for one. That they've got HBO listed there and I'm about 99.9% sure there's not a legal free HBO stream out there.
Quote:
Truth is, if you search most of that stuff is online already...

Yeah, but not legally.

I think some people on this forum need to reacquaint themselves with the Forum TOS.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did I say it was illegal? Did I say it was legal? That's for your own determination...

You can buy quite a bit of content on iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Blockbuster, You Tube Movies, DVD Now and Red Box. Depending how much you spend on this stuff, keeping cable might be a cheaper option.

You could of course cut the cord and enjoy OTA-HD only, they show He-Man, She-Ra, Ghostbusters and Bravestar on a local channel here. A Channel Master DVR with Internet Apps cost $400, I know Fry's have them - http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel_Master_TV_s/304.htm

The truth is, whatever man. What's on HBO is available on disc. Amazon Ubox which can download content you pay for and put it in a folder that Windows Media Center can see gives you access to a ton of content for a small price. Netflix streaming is what $8? Hulu Plus is $10? The entire season one of the original Bionic Woman is $20 for the season, streamed/downloaded - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ML1IJA/ref=sr_1_2_vod_0_msg?ie=UTF8&qid=1340695068&sr=8-2

I'm still confounded by MTV, its not even a Music Channel anymore. That's why they started MTV2 and even that channel has less and less music on it... I sort of would watch Sucka Free, but its not that important.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #33 of 42 Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Yeah, but not legally.
I think some people on this forum need to reacquaint themselves with the Forum TOS.

No I don't, I didn't bring it up and I didn't say anything or provide any links.

You know what they say about opinions and assumptions...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #34 of 42 Old 06-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

What's fishy?

That there's no information about where the streams come from for one. That they've got HBO listed there and I'm about 99.9% sure there's not a legal free HBO stream out there.
Quote:
Truth is, if you search most of that stuff is online already...

Yeah, but not legally.

Yes there is for PlayOn. You may want to acquaint yourself with their site, and where their feeds come from. Majority of them are public RS feeds, others like private feeds are still public access servers. I see no infringement of anyones TOS, suggesting PlayOn as an alternative. No different than any hardware device. Only diff with Playon, is you are paying a monthly access fee, to offset the costs for licensing feeds.
post #35 of 42 Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Yes there is for PlayOn. You may want to acquaint yourself with their site, and where their feeds come from. Majority of them are public RS feeds, others like private feeds are still public access servers.

I'm aware of Playon, I've used it in the past (but ceased due to the poor transcoded video quality and performance). I'm not talking about Playon or it's "stock" services, I know Playon pulls that stuff from public sources. I'm talking about some of these scripts, specifically ones that purport to provide HBO and the like for "Free", when I am (as said above) 99.9% sure they don't have public streams provided.

What you're saying is if I get Playon and a script I get HBO for free. You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true.... I don't buy that.
Quote:
Only diff with Playon, is you are paying a monthly access fee, to offset the costs for licensing feeds.

IIRC/I believe you're paying for them to keep their SW updated for the changes Hulu and the like make to keep things like Playon from accessing their services, which is fine, I don't see anything wrong with that.

But it seems a lot of folks have just stopped asking if sources are "legitimate" these days.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #36 of 42 Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Um, a script with a $3 paypal fee to get the key and then you get all the extended cable programing and the premium channels? Yeah, that's legit.

post #37 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Sickbeard + SabNZB will let you ditch cable.
Tried that, It was a pain in the butt to set up and newsgroop fees are too much. Do you know of a free sickbeard solution?
post #38 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
post #39 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
post #40 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And what can you get off there legally that's on cable? To help one cut the cord?

post #41 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Even if you ditch cable, are you really cutting the cord? What are you doing for internet service? In my area, Performance internet is $48.05/mo. Basic cable is $23.05/mo. If you get both there's like a $15 discount or something making basic $8/mo. To me, it was not worth saving $8/mo to have to deal with antennas, etc. out here in the boonies.

post #42 of 42 Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No you are not. It's cord shaving, not cord cutting.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page