Editing & Re-encoding TV recordings - What do you use? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Editing & Re-encoding TV recordings - What do you use?
bazfletch3's Avatar bazfletch3 07:48 PM 03-04-2012
Hi All

Im using Mediaportal for my PVR functionality (very happily!) and am starting to build up quite a stack of recordings that i want to keep long term.

I'm looking to start working through them all (they are currently .TS files) and editing them to remove the "lead-in/lead out" buffering as well as any commercial breaks; and then re-encode them into a file format which is easier to deal with. I may potentialy compress them to save some space, but thats not a primary concern at the moment.

Then i can re-file them in my media library and import them into "MY-TV Series" within Mediaportal so everything looks preety and nice!.

Wondering which software tools people use for this functionality (obvioulsy freeware is better, but Im happy to pay for something if it makes my life super easy).

Im presumning that it would be a 2 step process; edit, then re-encode.

Most of the discussion Ive found on this and other forums is quite old; found references to using ProjectX (freeware), VideoRedo (paid) & SolveigMM (paid) for editing, and Handbrake for re-encoding.

Any obvious solutions that I should be looking at>

Thanks

Barry

whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 09:38 PM 03-04-2012
You listed it but I think video redo is the most common one used for editing commercials.
http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

As far as re-encoding 1080i60 is not as easy as blu ray. Because it is interlaced. I messed around a few times with some .TS movies I had that I wanted to shrink down with handbrake. Couldn't get a smooth framerate so I decided that part wasn't worth my time. YMMV
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 09:40 PM 03-04-2012
If you want to cut parts out and re-encode to AVC (x264) I'd use AVIDeMux. There are guides at that link, too. It's a nice edit and encode solution.
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 09:49 PM 03-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

If you want to cut parts out and re-encode to AVC (x264) I'd use AVIDeMux. There are guides at that link, too. It's a nice edit and encode solution.

Freeware! I thank you for this as well never heard of it myself.
bazfletch3's Avatar bazfletch3 09:52 PM 03-04-2012
Thanks!

Will check it out and have a play.

Thanks also to Assassin who mentioned to double check his paid guides; havnt been there for a while.

I'll report back; If I can make it work it must mean it's at least semi idiot proof!
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 10:05 PM 03-04-2012
I spoke too sonn on avidemux. Kept crashing when I loaded a recording (.wtv) Tried changing the container to dvr.ms, same problem uninstalled. Maybe it was the file idk.
assassin's Avatar assassin 10:07 PM 03-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazfletch3 View Post

Thanks!

Will check it out and have a play.

Thanks also to Assassin who mentioned to double check his paid guides; havnt been there for a while.

I'll report back; If I can make it work it must mean it's at least semi idiot proof!

I have 2 different options that I have made guides for. There are other options but these are 2 of the better and easier ones, imo.
JDLIVE's Avatar JDLIVE 10:31 AM 03-05-2012
I use VideoRedo to cut and re-encode to H264. If it's a movie and I want to do IVTC, then I'll use MeGui as VRD doesn't do IVTC.
Vlad Theimpaler's Avatar Vlad Theimpaler 01:56 PM 03-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazfletch3 View Post

Im using Mediaportal for my PVR functionality (very happily!) and am starting to build up quite a stack of recordings that i want to keep long term.

I'm looking to start working through them all (they are currently .TS files) and editing them to remove the "lead-in/lead out" buffering as well as any commercial breaks...

I've been recording HDTV via OTA, in the .ts format just like you. Been recording over the last 6 years or so, and yes, without processing those files, you need a lot of hard disk drives for storage.

Like other posters before me, I think that VideoRedo is the best editor for mpeg2 based .ts files. Other solutions may offer basic cut-and-join functionality, but VRD has a couple things going for it that (AFAIK) the other programs do not.

(1) VRD can make cuts within a GOP, so you can edit on *any* frame, not just on I-frames... this is very important if you need to maintain 3:2 cadence for film-based sources that can be inverse-telecined later, since the cadence will be changing within the raw .ts file during the program, between commercial breaks.

(2) VRD will automatically fix issues in the A/V stream, for example, correcting input sequence errors, or dropping video or audio frames to maintain A/V sync. Not all recordings land on your hard disk 100% error free, you see

(3) VRD can display an audio graph in the editing timeline, enabling you to see things like A/V sync issues (you can add a +/- offset to the audio relative to video to correct sync problems), or when the broadcast changes from 2-channel audio to 5.1 channels, via color coding.

Quote:

and then re-encode them into a file format which is easier to deal with.

If you collect a lot of programs, you may want to hold off on re-encoding. Editing by itself takes a bit of time... particularly if it is done meticulously with consistent 3:2 cadence in mind (so IVTC can be done later). When the editing is done, and all commercials and lead-in/lead-out buffering is removed, you have most likely reduced your space requirement for your edited recording by 25-35%, relative to the raw .ts file. Re-encoding with more compression can reduce your space requirement further, but it is additional work, and re-encoding HD can take a looooong time.

For me, editing is sufficient. Here is an example of how editing alone is a good compromise for reducing the space requirement of a 1-hour recording without having to re-encode.

Example:
A 1-hour + 4 minutes raw file (1 hour with 2 minutes of start/end padding) of a network prime-time drama. The raw recording yields a 8.2GB .ts file (1080i + 5.1 audio)

After editing out the commercials and the start/end padding, this typically gets reduced to around 5.2GB. The example here is for a recording with the highest bitrate I've seen in a local HD broadcast (appx. 16.5Mbps).

Other recordings will have lower bitrates (I've seen 8Mbps for 720p ATSC broadcast sources), and these lower bitrate recordings can be as low as 2.7GB for a 1-hour program, after editing.

So you would re-encode only if you really need to reduce your raw .ts filesize by >65-75% per "hour". Not worth the additional work IMHO... but I would seriously enjoy reading about it if you happen to find a re-encode solution that works out for you and that you are totally satisfied with. I've subscribed to this thread, just in case you do
dazzo17's Avatar dazzo17 06:34 PM 03-05-2012
I use the videoredo then handbrake, I used to do the freeware option and had about 4 steps which was time consuming so videoredo is worth the money.

If you want the freeware option use MC TV converter its freeware and converts the WTV files to something that MPEG Streamclip can use (to cut adds) also freeware then Handbrake. Its all possible with freeware just takes more time and the learning process is longer.

If you convert to MP4 and have audio sync issues (It happens under WMC sometimes) just convert to MKV with MKVMERG also freeware but use an older build I use 2.9.8 the newer ones have caused me more problems.
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 07:37 PM 03-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I spoke too sonn on avidemux. Kept crashing when I loaded a recording (.wtv) Tried changing the container to dvr.ms, same problem uninstalled. Maybe it was the file idk.

Sorry, didn't realize you don't have actual .ts to work from. AVIDeMux (as with most open source stuff) can't handle those lame ass Microsoft containers so you'd have an extra step to strip the MS overhead from the file. That's why I don't use Media Center to record.
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 08:17 AM 03-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Sorry, didn't realize you don't have actual .ts to work from. AVIDeMux (as with most open source stuff) can't handle those lame ass Microsoft containers so you'd have an extra step to strip the MS overhead from the file. That's why I don't use Media Center to record.

Yah I figured that but I was just playing anyways. I have to use WMC because of my cablecard. And I love it for tv. Although the recording I was messing with was recorded over ota.
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 08:31 AM 03-06-2012
The newest version of VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 works directly with both dvr-ms and wtv files as well as H.264 and AVCHD files. No need to convert or transcode anything to edit and convert to .ts or any other format.
gorthocar's Avatar gorthocar 04:59 PM 03-06-2012
To edit .ts files (clipping out commercials & buffer), I use the freeware program HDTVtoMPEG2. The only gotcha that I've run into is to set the "max size" of the output file to something much larger than 4096MB. When I was looking for a ts clipper, I tried several freebies, but many of them would get the audio a little out of sync after a few commercial breaks, but this one worked fine. It is a little bit of a manual process, but I can typically set the include/exclude points for a 1 hour show in less than 3 minutes; the scroll mouse really helps to zoom in to the breakpoints.

I have not tried VideoReDo.

For shows that I want to archive, I use Handbrake to convert the .ts to a h.264 mkv (High Profile).
Up
Mobile  Desktop