Apple TV V3 1080P - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/a...s-1080p-video/
nexus99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
bimmerfreak0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

All I care about is if it can properly decode my 1080p streams from my HTPC with lossless audio or at least core audio support at around 40 mb/s. If it can't handle that in an .mkv format with an XMBC port, fugidaboudit.
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Newbie
 
the337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

All I care about is if it can properly decode my 1080p streams from my HTPC with lossless audio or at least core audio support at around 40 mb/s. If it can't handle that in an .mkv format with an XMBC port, fugidaboudit.

If you already have an HTPC would you use an AppleTV for another room and treat your HTPC as an HTPC + Media Server?
the337 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Member
 
RVWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

All I care about is if it can properly decode my 1080p streams from my HTPC with lossless audio or at least core audio support at around 40 mb/s. If it can't handle that in an .mkv format with an XMBC port, fugidaboudit.

How close is the current Apple TV (w/XBMC) to meeting these requirements? It looks like the new version will pretty much have twice the performance.
RVWinkle is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
nexus99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nexus99 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Member
 
werd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully a jailbreak will come quick with this. Also (Hopefully this pressures ceton to release some more info like a release date about the echo )
werd is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blueiedgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Apple TV that can't do TV, sounds like a huge FAIL!

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
blueiedgod is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
bimmerfreak0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by the337 View Post

If you already have an HTPC would you use an AppleTV for another room and treat your HTPC as an HTPC + Media Server?

Yup...I don't stream from Netflix or Hulu...I don't stream at all come to think of it. I rent blu-rays from Netflix or Redbox. I have around 500 movies (mostly HD rips from HD-DVD's and Blu-rays) on my HTPC. I'd want one solely to stream to my bedroom tv.
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Unbelievable. The new apple TV still does not support 3rd party apps. I honestly don't get it at this point. The iPhone has had an app store for ages. I don't really get how apple expects the apple tv to be as successful as their other iOS devices if people can't make apps for it.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
MlNDBOMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
the iphone 4s can do 40 megabit h264 video iirc.

so yea, it should be able to do that.

However, I really can't imagine using this. I need vc-1 and mpeg 2 support, hd audio passthrough, flac support, and support for bluray subtitles, all within an mkv container.
MlNDBOMB is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
JMGNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to like it, I really do. But...

Even if I remuxed BDs into .m4v container I doubt it would play them smoothly. There's no support for HD Audio nor refresh rate switching. It'll do pull-down and output everything at 60hz. Streaming services are limited but of better quality than on a PC.

The new UI is nice and is clearly meant to have apps. However, this release is just to support 1080p from the new iPad and for new iTunes content. I'm sure they're holding anything of interest back until they release an actual TV and that'll have the cool stuff.

Even with XBMC or Plex I can't see it replacing an HTPC yet. I would love it if it could but let's see what XBMC and Plex can do with it.
JMGNYC is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
balky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I want to like it, I really do. But...

Even if I remuxed BDs into .m4v container I doubt it would play them smoothly. There's no support for HD Audio nor refresh rate switching. It'll do pull-down and output everything at 60hz. Streaming services are limited but of better quality than on a PC.

The new UI is nice and is clearly meant to have apps. However, this release is just to support 1080p from the new iPad and for new iTunes content. I'm sure they're holding anything of interest back until they release an actual TV and that'll have the cool stuff.

Even with XBMC or Plex I can't see it replacing an HTPC yet. I would love it if it could but let's see what XBMC and Plex can do with it.

There is no way in h@[[ the ATV is gonna replace an HTPC...

Not as long as they keep locking it down to do only what they want you to do with it...

When I first discovered plex and bought an ATV2, I was so happy that the HTPC in my bedroom found it's way to the cellar the same day I bought the ATV2.

A week later, the HTPC was back... ... but with plex client on windows...

If you imagine ATV is just getting to support 1080p video in 2012, then my near guess will be 2022 to support HD audio bitstreaming (if ever)...

3D and 4K video will probably come around 2032...
balky is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Member
 
RVWinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

the iphone 4s can do 40 megabit h264 video iirc.

so yea, it should be able to do that.

From what I can see, the iphone 4s is a dual core A5 while the new Apple TV A5 is only single core so it might not even be able to accomplish this.
RVWinkle is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off