Antivirus - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All operating systems are vulnerable. Windows is the biggest, so that's where people concentrate their efforts. If OSX was more than eye candy, people would write viruses for it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

My HTPC's use MSE because it is the least bothersome. I don't surf the web on HTPC's but you might.

I've tried most of the big name antivirus programs. Symantec and McAfee were the most problematic. AVG and Avast (pro) are used on my web devices and work well but were attention hogs. I couldn't seem to get them to keep quiet and leave my movies and television alone.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #33 of 49 Old 03-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Microsoft Security Essentials. I've tried Norton, Avast, and Trend Micro in the past. MSE is very light weight and non intrusive, unlike the other paid anti-virus programs I've used in the past.

I don't click on pop-up, ever. I don't use Facebook. I don't open links from spam emails. I never torrent. MSE is more than enough for me. I've never gotten a single virus on my computer.

Ironically, I remember posting on AVSforum, a couple of years ago, asking what was the best anti-virus program out there. Many posters had recommended MSE to me. I hadn't heard of it before then, but decided to give it a try. I'll never pay for anti-virus again. All you need is MSE.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #34 of 49 Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I received an email from "Fed Ex" the other day with an Acrobat Reader attachment that ended in .exe.
Just for grins & giggles I saved the attachment in Yahoo Mail & Norton scanned it proclaiming it clean.
After it downloaded to my desktop Security Essentials immediately detected it was malware & removed it.

I'm sure Norton detects malware that Security Essentials misses, but my point is that none of these AV
programs paid or free catches everything so why pay for one.

I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to debunk the myth that Vista/Win7 are much more secure than WinXP. Malware authors have found numerous ways to get around UAC. One of the most common is to install code in the AppData folder which isn't protected by UAC.

Yup, xp is fine so long as MS keeps supporting it.
post #35 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to debunk the myth that Vista/Win7 are much more secure than WinXP. Malware authors have found numerous ways to get around UAC. One of the most common is to install code in the AppData folder which isn't protected by UAC.

Infection rates for Windows 7 is almost 5 times less than Windows XP.

I have many family/friends who were constantly getting infected with XP. Even with Security Essentials installed.

I have not received a single call to fix their PCs since convincing them to upgrade to Windows 7.
post #36 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 12
ESET Security Essentials (makers of NODS32) is superb and not intrusive. I run Malwarebytes on my desktop but leave the HTPC in the hands of Microsoft Security Essentials.
post #37 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

ESET Security Essentials (makers of NODS32) is superb and not intrusive. I run Malwarebytes on my desktop but leave the HTPC in the hands of Microsoft Security Essentials.

I use ESET on my three computers. Two of them are HT/home computers and one is a home computer.

Bob
post #38 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
ESET is a great AV program, as are many others. I just got tired of having to renew the license every year. With MSE you install it and you're done, aside from setting up a scheduled scan and what drives to scan. No rebates to deal with either.

I don't understand why all AV programs aren't free since you generally pay next to nothing after sending in the rebate. Then again, there's the rebate hassle and the possibility that it won't get honored by the minimum wage drone they hired to process it. Free beats rebate madness anytime.
post #39 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you do HTPC, them MSE is the best solution, unless you like trying to figure out which ports need to be opened for HTPC to function properly.

The best part, it is FREE!

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #40 of 49 Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Microsoft security essentials.

Free.

Not only that, but MSE the program is gone in Windows 8. It has been merged into Defender and comes default with every installation. I don't know what took Microsoft so long with the bad rap Windows gets in the public about getting viruses. I'd love to see how Best Buy salemen are going to try to persuade you to buy an expensive antivirus software when it already comes with the best one now.
post #41 of 49 Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Not only that, but MSE the program is gone in Windows 8. It has been merged into Defender and comes default with every installation. I don't know what took Microsoft so long with the bad rap Windows gets in the public about getting viruses. I'd love to see how Best Buy salemen are going to try to persuade you to buy an expensive antivirus software when it already comes with the best one now.

I always thought that the reason MS did not include MSE with Windows distributions was because they got burned badly in Europe for bundling Internet Explorer and had to pay anti-trust fines.

I wouldn't be surprized if one of the antivirus manufacturers took MS to court for anti-trust violations for bundling anti virus software with win 8 ditros.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #42 of 49 Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MSE on my Wife's PC (only because she likes to click stuff without thinking). No antivirus on my PC or the HTPC. Haven't had a single problem in 2 years since ditching AV software.
post #43 of 49 Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've had 3-month trials of Norton Anti Virus installed on several PCs I've bought over the years as part of the default software bundles. It was like a virus in that I couldn't get rid of it witout doing a complete reinstall. Unistalling it almost always caused network connection issues that would only be resolved when Norton was reinstalled.

I've been using Trend Micro for the past few years, but only because it comes with 3 licences and I'm using someone elses spare licence. It also has better parental controls and web filtering than is standard in Windows. It does slow the system down though.

I have previously used Mcafee when it was small, light and nimble, but it became too bloated and slowed things down.

My HTPC has been up and running for a week and I chose to only install MSE rather than a paid AV program. I didn't really notice a difference in performance before or after it was installed. As the machine will be a little more locked down I'm not as worried.

If someone wants to hack into my network or machine externally, I'm pretty sure there's not much I can do to stop a determined and experienced hacker anyway. I just try to make myself a harder target than the next person so they go for someone who is less hassle.

post #44 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That has been my experience with Norton, and McAffee...and really, just another nail in their coffin...I avoided Norton after having them on several work PC's, went with McAffee, after the trial was up... Lately, though if I check the background processes, mcshield has been dominating my CPU.

kesawi,
I have been thinking along the same lines, that it's better to be "under the radar"...
I have heard from the IT guy here at work, that Trend Micro was pretty good as well...
What is your experience with the "slow down" It's noticeable?

Thanks all for the experiences and suggestions. It seems to be a pretty good consensus for MSE...Why do I have a hard time shaking the feeling that something "free" is not going to be as effective as paid security?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #45 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter999 View Post

MSE on my Wife's PC (only because she likes to click stuff without thinking). No antivirus on my PC or the HTPC. Haven't had a single problem in 2 years since ditching AV software.

That's like having sex without a condom. Just because you haven't contracted a virus yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Since MSE is free and doesn't intrude on your HTPC functions it's just common sense to use it. You may go for years without running an AV program and be totally virus-free. Just keep in mind that it only has to happen once for you to see the light. I've picked up viruses in the past and it's no fun trying to get rid of them, especially when they infect your BIOS.
post #46 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Thanks all for the experiences and suggestions. It seems to be a pretty good consensus for MSE...Why do I have a hard time shaking the feeling that something "free" is not going to be as effective as paid security?

Marketing. The whole "you-get-what-you-pay-for" mentality. MSE is good in that it is light on system resources, It integrates with Windows well, and it it constantly updated by a leading software developer. Say what you want about MS but they've stepped up their game.

Mark me down for another MSE and Malwarebytes with a smidgen of Spybot vote.

THERE IS NO NORSICAN, THERE IS ONLY ZUUL
post #47 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

That's like having sex without a condom. Just because you haven't contracted a virus yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Since MSE is free and doesn't intrude on your HTPC functions it's just common sense to use it. You may go for years without running an AV program and be totally virus-free. Just keep in mind that it only has to happen once for you to see the light. I've picked up viruses in the past and it's no fun trying to get rid of them, especially when they infect your BIOS.

And you might not even know it. Your pc could be sending out personal information or it could be being used by a hacker as part of a DDOS attack or other nefarious purpose, and if you're going bare, you might never know it.
post #48 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boke01 View Post

Infection rates for Windows 7 is almost 5 times less than Windows XP.

I have many family/friends who were constantly getting infected with XP. Even with Security Essentials installed.

I have not received a single call to fix their PCs since convincing them to upgrade to Windows 7.

I wish I could share your optimism regarding how secure Win7 is. As the user base increases for Win7, infection rates are increasing while at the same time they're decreasing for WinXP.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...mbs_XP_s_falls

I just cleaned a rogue AV off a new Win7 laptop last week. Most of the current infections are due to exploits in Adobe Flash, Reader & Java. So regardless of what version of Windows you're running you need to keep all your software up to date.
post #49 of 49 Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
MSE here, its all you need.

Do you do a lot of surfing, email, downloads etc. from your HTPC? You're better off not using anything.

Good luck removing McAfee from your system. I would personally rebuild the PC rather than go through the headache.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page