HTPC image quality on 55" TV with low res source - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to order our HTPC parts but curious about how it will handle low res video.

We have some old TV shows ripped years ago which are 512 x 384. Using our current server/ps3 setup when streamed to the PS3 they look ok'ish on our LG 55" TV (model 55LH40).

But when we watch them using VLC on a 17" monitor it looks really jagged and bad.

I have some vague theories about either the TV or PS3 modifying the low res video to make it watchable on the 55" screen, while the PC monitor shows the ugly but accurate original.

How will the HTPC handle low res video like this? Is it the TV upscaling the low res image it is receiving, or is the PS3 altering the image which could similarly be done by the HTPC.

The monitor runs at 1680x1050 and the LG is 1920x1080.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It's not going to look better than it did on your small monitor, it's going to look worse. No kind of fancy processing is going to make 512x384 look good on a 55" monitor. Is it watchable? I guess. I couldn't deal with it though after watching everything in HD now.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think it's going to depend more on your player. If you're player is going to upscale, I would suspect it would like like it did on your previous 55". Plex, and XBMC I know upscale because they've done it on DVDs I was playing and DVD rips.

The higher quality, bit rate wise, those low res videos are, the better the upscale can be.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page