Problem with LCD TV maintaining image - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey folks,

I've been a "HTPC" user for about 2 months now, and for the most part, I'm very pleased. I'm sure I don't have to sell the numerous *pros* of having a fast box handle all of my media needs/consumption to this crowd.

But I am having one problem, and perhaps this is a stupid question/issue, but I have my HTPC hooked up via HDMI to a 40" Samsung LCD (an older model, an LN-T4065F from 4 or so years ago) in my basement, and for my first HTPC I opted to go with a ligher weight video card (AMD Radeon HD 6450) just to test the HTPC waters.

Sometimes, while using, for unbeknownst reasons, the picture on my screen will *glitch*. Sometimes it'll recover and I can continue doing whatever I"m doing. But sometimes it won't. Sometimes the screen just turns blue, or worse yet just keeps glitching various shades of green, and nothing I do short of turning the TV off and back on will get a picture to come back.

This has never happened while watching TV or video in WMC, and not while watching Blu-Ray. Just while trying to configure things/work with recordings/ect.

Anybody else ever experienced this? Thoughts/suggestions on what I can to fix the problem? Is it an issue with my video card? My LCD? Connecting via HDMI?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
My suggestions:
Upgrade your video drivers
Upgrade your TV firmware
Try a new HDMI cable
Make sure your PC is connected directly to your TV (no receiver/switch)
Try another video card
Try another display

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

My suggestions:
Upgrade your TV firmware
Try a new HDMI cable
Try another video card
Try another display

I'm new at this, but I believe my video drivers (AMD ATI) updated themselves a week ago... it didn't help.

I'm not sure what "TV Firmware" is? I'm running WMC on a Widows 7 PC. Any specifics you can share with on this idea?

Trying another HDMI cable and screen is simple enough. I don't believe that will fix it, but in the name of being thorough I'll give it a go.

There is no other receiver/switch between the PC and TV.

The video card concerns me. Reading up post-purchase (I thought I had looked into things enough pre-purchase, but maybe not), it sounds like the video card I bought is not exactly top-shelf.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anybody else has any thoughts/experiences, please share.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What cpu are you using? If you can try the integrated gpu then do so.

Sorry for the delay. Finally got a day off and a little time to dedicate to this.

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 B60 Processor - 3.40 GHz. With 16 gigs of RAM. I bought it from endpcnoise.com, as that had also been recommended to me by a friend.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if you can try the integrated gpu then do so", but my graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450, and I'm using the HDMI output from the graphics card, not the "generic one" from the bottom left side of my box.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

My suggestions:
Upgrade your TV firmware
Try a new HDMI cable
Try another video card
Try another display

I am not sure whether I am happy or sad to report that although trying new HDMI cables and updating video drivers didn't appear to help (and setup currently has no receivers between PC and TV), "changing my display" has.

At least I've accomplished something. Sadly, PERMANENTLY swapping out these displays is not at all a desirable option, as I have a bit of a unique set-up. Another option I might have would be to use a Samsung plasma I have... but I feared burn-in and wanted to go with an LCD instead.

Samsung's live-chat claims that their are no firmware updates available for an LCD that's probably ~5 years old, which I find odd. At least I have my first "lead". Thanks again for the checklist.