HTPC case questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I've been looking into building a HTPC for awhile now and I have a few questions.

I want to put something together that looks like it belongs in a home entertainment system, not a computer desk. After looking and looking I found something I liked, but obviously nothing is that simple. The case I ran across and really liked was a D-Vine MCE 303 in black. Unfortunately, I can't find it for sale anywhere and it appears that Ahanix is no longer in business. Is there anything wrong with these cases? And where can I get one if they are still for sale?

Also, in my search for Ahanix cases I ran across a company named Moneual whom suspiciously made cases much like Ahanix or vice versa perhaps. I can find the Moneual cases, but the older case that I liked I can't find. Model Moneual 301 B.

My searches on the usual suspects IE Newegg, Amazon, CompUSA, and so on have not netted desirable results.

Is there anything wrong with these cases? If not then kindly point me in a direction to acquire one.

If I am not going to be able to obtain one of these or if it's a poor case, I was thinking about a Moneual 320SB, but I noticed it has a volume control on it. Why would you want a volume control on a HTPC? I would think that most folks would just push the audio from the unit into a typical theater receiver. The onboard sound couldn't possibly have the ability to properly power most home theater speakers correct? Please enlighten me.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Try nMedia PC or Silverstone cases. Some of them look like component equipment.

Also, I have seen people gut out an old Tape Deck, and put a PC inside. So, that should not stop you from gutting out an amp and putting a PC inside of it, it you want authentic "component system" appearance.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kossuth View Post

Also, in my search for Ahanix cases I ran across a company named Moneual whom suspiciously made cases much like Ahanix or vice versa perhaps. I can find the Moneual cases, but the older case that I liked I can't find. Model Moneual 301 B.

The 301 is probably going to be your best bet, but I can only find it in silver. The cases you are looking for are 3-4 years ago. In computer years, that's almost forever. Honestly your best bet is to find something newer unless you get lucky on ebay or an antiques dealer.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Monuel case, can't remember the model number though. It's a very nice case, but expensive. If I had to do it over again I would have got something a little cheeper. After you have everything installed in the case the actual case layout become moot. I would recommend once you find one you like look and see what cooling issues the case has and what others are doing to overcome any short comings.

Your case search will also depend on what motherboard layout (ATX mATX, ITX) you want to go with.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Look at the Wesena cases. Very nice cases for the money.

The only issue is that they are constantly out of stock as they come from China/Asia to just 1 distributor here in the US.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page