AMD HDMI audio problems, skipping, dropping etc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I am finally close to home theater nirvana and fate steps in on me to kick me in the testicles once more...

I recently got a new audio setup consisting of a denon avr-3808ci, paradigm studio 60s, paradigm cc-370, jbl control 5s for surrounds until I can find matching to the fronts, and an outlaw audio lfm-1 plus. I am inputting the 6950 hdmi straight in to the receiver, and then from there going out to a Mitsubishi 65" Dlp set.

The problem I am running in to is as such, let's say I go to watch live tv using my hd homerun, whenever I start the video it loops the first second of audio again and again while the video still goes, and then stops the video and throws and error message up. From that point on I can't do anything with live tv, if I go straight from there there in to my movies, there is no sound in the menus and all video playback fails. I essentially have to exit media center go to the control panel and "test" the speakers at which time it pauses for a second and then establishes the connection andi have audio once again.

Now let's say after that if I go straight back in to media center and go straight to my movies, and playback a bluray rip I can play it fine...but the instant i puase or skip back or ahead the video gets choppy and never recovers.

Ok at this point i say screw it and reboot, i put a bluray disc in and watch it, sometimes if not most of the time again if I pause it or skip or ff the audio craps out, but this does not happen as frequent as the networked hd homerun or networked media files.

If I play a game, I'm fine, if I listen to music or go on YouTube I'm fine.

I thought ok maybe this is a Amd driver issue so I uninstalled the 12.2 drivers, rebooted, ran ccleaner, rebooted, and then installed 12.1 and tested with the same results.

So then I thought well maybe this is an issue with the receiver and it needs firmware updates... So I did that, same issue. I tried letting the receiver scale the htpc hdmi to maybe keep it synced up, no luck.

Has anyone been down this road before? Previously I had an nvidia gtx 470 in the htpc and it worked fine but I quickly discovered that it didn't support dts hd or Dolby truehd so I cleaned everything out and put the 6950 I had in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oddly enough I hooked straight to the tv with another hdmi cable and I'm still getting some of the problems granted though with no audio since the tv can't do dts, so I tried hooking my main rig to the receiver and getting the same problem???? Could my Dlp be causing the problem even though it is after the avr in the chain?

Every once in a while the audio seems to speed up for a bit and then goes back to normal
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Since the other card worked fine I would say its the drivers or an incompatibility with the new card and your DLP.

My ATI/DLP combo gave me fits as well.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trying to go back to 11.8 now since my main rig and the htpc both had the 12.x drivers in common.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Same damned problem grrrrr!!!!!!!!

Keep getting the audio repeat when starting live tv then an error that says:
Video error
Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. restart windows media center or restart the computer
post #6 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had the same problem with a fresh windows install and a HD6570.
I installed a codec pack (k-lite) and it hasn't happened since.

I really wish I knew which codec fixed it so I could install only that codec.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Going to stop for the night and think on this, going to also leave my switch and router unplugged overnight incase it is issues with them causing network packets to be dropped and showing up as those errors.

I use no codec packs, I only install matroska and then if needed (for 2 speaker setups) AC3 filter, I've always done it that way and more than likely always will. It seems like I have always run in to a ton of trouble with those.

I took my Samsung S23A750D and hooked it both straight hdmi to the HTPC and then to the receiver and seen video speed ups, stuttering and jumping just as before, tv threw the same error hooked straight to that display too... but the HD Homerun is on the same physcial 5 port gigabit switch as the HTPC then uplinked to a 8 port gigabit switch. I have to use a switch there as I have the receiver, HTPC, Xbox360, Slingbox and a HD Homerun (xbox is unplugged at the moment lol) all needing wired, then my 8 port switch is hooked to the 5 port in the living room, and another 5 port in my sons room (PC and Xbox 360), my daughters PC, the home server, my main PC, my arcade machine and finally to my router.

I tried 11.8 drivers no luck, uninstalling playready as suggested somewhere else, updating my NIC drivers, flushing DNS, NBTSTAT -R and resetting the winsock, nothing has helped.

I'm on my main rig in my bedroom now and am seeing the skipping and jumping on bluray playback from the server here too, I already rebooted the server thinking that might be it, but that didnt help. The server is a fresh setup (well been up for a month, and was workign before) of WHS with 4 2TB drives and 1 1TB, disk performance was never outstanding with WHS but in the past I have been able to watch a HD movie in three rooms simultaniously with no problems.

Hopefully this is just something stupid like a bad main switch causing collisions or something.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the problem on the TV side seems to have less problems with the "Give exclusive mode applications priority" un checked, but still does happen from time to time.

As for Media playback form my server I have been running every scanner in the world that I can on every machine on my network lol, make sure that nothign possibly is gumming up the works. I found a few minor things but nothing concrete yet (still scanning and havent tried to playback anything.

But here is an odd one for you.... on my WHS I noticed a while back that my floppy drive would be running as if it were looking for a disk every second... tick, tick, tick, tick...perfectly. This isn't the typical you put the floppy cable on wrong and the light is staying lit. What was even more odd is the server is in a little closet with my main switches and when I went to do what I said I was going to do earlier (unplug everything) the floppy drive stopped...?? when I plugged everything back in it started up again, and when I removed the network cable directly form the server it stopped again....?!?! I am tryign to figure that one out, almost reminds me of the old keylogging viruses, but again nothign showed up with any scans so far... which really doesnt say much since most of this crap gets by anyway

I recently disabled the windows search feature and the indexing service and created scripts to stop demigrator.exe from running starting at 5:30am and kicking it back on at 12:30 AM. When this final scan stops I am going to test out playback and see what happens. I may need to say screw it and just go with WHS 2011 and do seperate drives instead fo the pool.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In the sound control panel did you change the audio to anything other than 2 channel? If so, this is what is causing your problems. Go back and switch it to 2 channel.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually just seems to be certain mkvs for some reason, I havent watched much tv lately

I'll try the 2 channel thing and see if that helps, I guess just switch to 5.1 when I play games
post #11 of 13 Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

In the sound control panel did you change the audio to anything other than 2 channel? If so, this is what is causing your problems. Go back and switch it to 2 channel.

Thanks for that.

I uninstalled the codec pack I had installed and set the speakers to stereo and the skipping, freezing and error messages are gone.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine actually got worse when switching to stereo lol, but again just certain mkvs it come up and says windows media center can not open the file. Even when I switch back to 5.1 I am still getting this error. Another problem I am seeing is some mkvs will play in stereo in windows media center, and you will not see the matroska icon in the task bar, but if I open it in windows media player it plays dts and the matroska icon shows up? There has to be something screwed up somewhere, the only thing I did recently was uninstall a creative Xfi titanium and all software for it, change to a 6950 from a gtx470 and uninstall ac3 filter (a while back I was using theatertek to decode dtshd and truehd to 6channel out)

I'm going to run some of these mkvs through gspot to see the difference on why some work and some don't.

I won't lie I didn't process all these mkvs myself but I do legally own the blurays so I can alway reprocess them. When I first started buying just blurays I knew I would be running out of space on my windows home server and I tried to transcode them to get them down to 8gb each which took waaaay too long, I discovered it was faster to just download it lol, but now that I have a new server with more room I decided to start ripping the blurays I have that weren't on the server, starting with the star wars series.

To rip I got make mkv put the bluray in and selected angle one, the hd audio track and the standard audio track, and then read around on which subtitle track to get the forced subtitles for alien dialogue. Took about 2 hours. But now these won't play at all for some reason where before they were skipping and jumping and playing back odd
post #13 of 13 Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sometimes the easiest answer is the most likely

Just now had a drive fail on my server that explains the trouble with certain files skipping and jumping and sometimes now playing at all!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page