Please advise me on my "Poor Man's Occasional HTPC Setup" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations for what I would like to attempt: The Poor Man's occasional HTPC setup.

Basically, I have a pretty decent PC setup in my room. i7 860 processor. 8GB Ram, Radeon 4890 video card (2 DVI outs). I recently purchased a new TV and surround setup for our living room.

My HTPC setup will not be my main method of PC use. Mainly for novelty when the female is out of town for the weekend I would like to absorb some big screen WoW or Battlefield with surround sound.

Because of this rare use, I am hesitant to drop large coin on the setup.

My living room is adjacent to the bedroom. Basically, my overall goal is to keep the PC setup in the bedroom, but allow occasional use of my system in the living room by feeding relatively long cables to the setup in the living room.

In my mind this is what I would like to do.

1. Buy DVI->HDMI converter for video card
2. Run 25ft HDMI cable from PC in bedroom to setup in living room
3. Buy 25ft USB extension cable to use keyboard in living room.
4. Keyboard has USB port for wireless mouse RF adapter.

I was wondering if anyone has any kind of experience with this setup and if cables approaching 25ft in either case of HDMI / USB might cause noticeable or distracting lag or other degradation of quality.

Also if anyone notices any logistical concerns or hardware issues I have neglected to address would be appreciated.

I would be open to getting a wireless keyboard, but not sure if any good wireless keyboards exist where I could use the keyboard in the living room while the wireless receiver would still be in the bedroom.

So am I on to something here or is it all just a pipe dream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Get a 25' DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice - I use about a 20' one in my livingroom.
I think this can work fine. Sound? How about a 25' SPDIF cable to your receiver as well.

Signal travels at the speed of light - you won't notice lag from cable. You could from the TV if it is slow.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm currently using a similar setup for my main PC and have been using it for several months and have experienced no lag issues or anything. Keep in mind the DVI->HDMI doesn't transfer sound so you'll need to add an optical cable to your setup as well.

I don't really play games on my PC so I can't speak to how effective wireless keyboards are at that range but it seems to work fine for watching movies. I use it enough where it's a pain to switch everything around so I'm adding a HTPC to my setup, should have all the parts ready to build it tomorrow. Since I won't use my main PC as much which is a power hog so hopefully I save a few bucks a month on my power bill.

But for your purposes it should be a solid setup as long as your keyboard and mouse work at that range. Luckily DVI->HDMI and optical cables are pretty cheap so you don't have to worry about wasting a ton of money if your keyboard doesn't work.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 05:54 AM

Liked: 11
I dont think you can buy USb extension cables longer than 2m.
Im sure I read that is beacuse they wont work over long lengths. Not sure if that is due to signal data or the voltage but 5 volts will drop dramatically over that length i think.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by byngo View Post

I dont think you can buy USb extension cables longer than 2m.
Im sure I read that is beacuse they wont work over long lengths. Not sure if that is due to signal data or the voltage but 5 volts will drop dramatically over that length i think.

Check momoprice and you'll find that you can but they typically have repeaters on them. I've used 25 footers before with no problems.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page