HDHomeRun 3 and 6 tuner questions.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDHomeRun owners, I have some question I hope you can answer.

Lets say I have the 3 tuner version. I understand that any computer will be able to record and watch on the network. My question is how does it behave when 3 people on 3 different pcs are watching? Let say one person is watching downstairs tuner A. I'm upstairs and I just fired up my pc about to watch some tv... Will there be any scenarios where there could be confusion and I mistakenly change the channels downstairs? Or, will I only have access to Tuner B and C?

Second phase of my question is in regards to normal living room HDTVs. I understand I can stream via an extender such as Xbox. Same question.. how do the tuners behave? Or actually, can I even watch live tv via extenders or only recorded stuff??

This stuff is tempting. If this multi-room viewing thing is as advanced as I hope it is, then I may dump my tivos.

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can easily have three HTPC accessing a single HDHR3 tuner…no problem if you have a decent network. (BTDT) If your family viewing habits are going to max-out the tuners, I would opt for a second HDHR3 to allow head room for DVR recordings. The six tuner box is tempting; but it could also be a single point of failure.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think the tuner gets "locked" when in use so you shouldn't have issue with 3 needing 3, although if any PC is using one to record that makes more than 3...
post #4 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
what they said above. I know sometimes my HDHH2 will get locked in when not in use. I just use QuickTV and override, which frees it. Then I can go back to MC.

I haven't done this, but I've read you can get tuner conflicts if you have OSX and Windows in your network.

Other than that, I believe if you have more than four tuners, you need to do a registery hack in Windows to access them all on a machine. I don't know what happens if you have three machines watching live tv, and each recording a show without the hack. I assume in the setup in MC, they will all see the same first four tuners.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

what they said above. I know sometimes my HDHH2 will get locked in when not in use. I just use QuickTV and override, which frees it. Then I can go back to MC.

I haven't done this, but I've read you can get tuner conflicts if you have OSX and Windows in your network.

Other than that, I believe if you have more than four tuners, you need to do a registery hack in Windows to access them all on a machine. I don't know what happens if you have three machines watching live tv, and each recording a show without the hack. I assume in the setup in MC, they will all see the same first four tuners.

If you want Windows to recognize more than 4 tuners available for ANY reason (live TV, recording, whatever) then you'll need to run something like Tuner Salad to utilize all 6 tuners. Three tuners seems like a lot but it really isn't especially if you like to DVR lots of programs and watch back later. Our household consists of just my wife and I so we have no kids watching live TV on other devices and yet we regularly utilize 4 & 5 tuners with 6 in use happening frequently. Keep in mind that if you like to start a minute or two early and end a few minutes late to not cut off programs you won't be able to use the same tuner for back to back programs on different channels. This can be especially true on broadcast TV shows since they tend to air only once.

The 6-tuner version is basically TWO 3-tuner versions in a single case with a cooling fan.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

The 6-tuner version is basically TWO 3-tuner versions in a single case with a cooling fan.

That's exactly what it is, except that they also share a single power supply. If there's a concern about a single point of failure then I would recommend getting two of the 3-tuner HDHR Primes instead of a single 6-tuner model. The only difference is that you'll need two AC outlets instead of one. You will need one coax cable and one ethernet cable for each set of three tuners regardless of which model you choose.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

That's exactly what it is, except that they also share a single power supply. If there's a concern about a single point of failure then I would recommend getting two of the 3-tuner HDHR Primes instead of a single 6-tuner model. The only difference is that you'll need two AC outlets instead of one. You will need one coax cable and one ethernet cable for each set of three tuners regardless of which model you choose.

Are you sure about that? When I was researching two 3-tuner or one 6-tuner I saw pictures of the back of the 6-tuner & it had TWO power sources on the back. For this reason (and the others already mentioned) I went with two 3-tuner versions. Now, the way you've mentioned makes more sense if the case shares a cooling fan as far as wiring goes and I was amazed to see two power sources but I want to confirm that the 6-tuner version does indeed have only a single power source.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #8 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
according to this PDF for the HDHR3-6cc, it only shows on power out plug.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Sucks though that it needs two cable cards which for a lot of companies means two tuning adapters.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right. I looked again and it's a completely different power cable (more like a PC power source cable style) to the right side with a rocker switch. I'm thinking the picture I saw was a photoshop someone made of the back of two of them because it had two of the small round plugs in the exact same place mine have them.

The final decision for me was that the 3-tuner are more aggressively priced to compete with the Ceton 4-tuner cards and two 3-tuners cost less than one 6-tuner from SD.

Jer

post #11 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Sucks though that it needs two cable cards which for a lot of companies means two tuning adapters.

Isn't the limit here the cable card and not the device hosting it?

Jer

post #12 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Some(All?) CableCards can support up to 6 tuners. The decision why SD chose this way is simply for the certification purpose. Instead of need to certify two different devices by CableLabs, they only need certify one device (3-tunner).

To answer some of the OP's question, extenders are a preferred way to go for these reasons:
1. Only one HTPC to maintain. Less headache. All recordings are shared so that you don't have to duplicate your recordings.
2. Tuners are also shared. If extender A and B are watching the same channel while your PC is recording the same channel as well, only one tuner is used.

Yes, you can watch Live TV and all recordings on the extenders. It is actually more HT friendly because you don't have to deal with PC's. You don't need mouse or keyboard. All you need is a remote.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Its already answered above me but M cards can do 6 streams.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Some(All?) CableCards can support up to 6 tuners. The decision why SD chose this way is simply for the certification purpose. Instead of need to certify two different devices by CableLabs, they only need certify one device (3-tunner).

Yeah, that's what it was. I knew there was a catch somewhere to them doing it the way they did but forgot what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Yes, you can watch Live TV and all recordings on the extenders. It is actually more HT friendly because you don't have to deal with PC's. You don't need mouse or keyboard. All you need is a remote.

We have three locations w/360's as extenders and we also have Logitech Harmony remotes at all three locations. These make the whole thing a dream to navigate and the wife has no problems operating at any location. Too often the remote is overlooked but if you want it to be user friendly a decent remote and the SAME remote at all locations is key. You don't have to spend a fortune either as we got the Xbox 360 version of the Harmony remote and not only are they affordable but they have everything you need in an easy to use package.

Jer

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page