Ripping my HD-DVD collection - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Ryan L is another person who had the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I had the same problem. Ended up downloading SRT files to replace the original subtitles.
post #33 of 47 Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure what the problem is. I only have one HD-DVD, and all I had to do was put it in my Bluray drive (it might have HD-DVD support, I didn't really care at the time I bought it), and in the "video" folder, there was a .wmv file for the movie, and then one for the behind the scenes video. I just copied it straight from the disc to my hard drive. It played fine.
post #34 of 47 Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
that's not a "real" hd-dvd.

when you open the disc in windows explorer you see several folders, one always labeled hvdvd-ts.

inside that folder are a bunch of .evo files. those contain the movie and its usually spread between two files that are labeled FEATURE1.evo and FEATURE2.evo or something like that.

even trying to save that to your hdd wont work if you haven't lifted the aacs protection.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #35 of 47 Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 358
post #36 of 47 Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just an update for the ones still struggling.

I was linked to this thread and got all the programs mentioned. Eventually MakeMKV works the best for me. I ripped so far 20 HDDVD and exactly half have a 5.1 useable soundtrack, the others have AC3 5.1 which VLC can't/won't read. Picture quality is as original and so convenient to access on the HTPC. What I noticed is that even the long movies use max 21 GB. That is really nothing compared to the recent movies like Girl with Dragon Tattoo, that used 43 GB of the BD. I m wondering if the same movies come remastered to BD, or ifr they use those low bit versions?

Anyways. Cheers for now.

P.S. as the ripping takes around 1 hour per disk I am only able to rip around 8 HDDVD's a day. Keep you updated, after the next 140.
post #37 of 47 Old 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

politby reported the problem in this post (and subsequent conversation with me). I ripped a couple of HD DVDs and surely PGS subtitles rippled with MakeMKV were non-working with any subtitle filters I tried (MPC-HC's own, VSFitler, ffdshow).

Nobody has this problem? It's only politby and me?
I know this is a late reply but ... HD-DVD SUP (PGS) format is different from the BD format and either your source filter is presenting them as BD format or the subtitle filters can only decode BD format. Use http://pel.hu/down/SUPread.exe and open the demuxed sup file, then click the "Export sup" button to convert them to BD sup files.

(It's been a couple of years since I worked with decoding sup so I don't remember the exact differences)
post #38 of 47 Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM

Where are you at on this?

I am just ripping everything into an MKV container and then streaming to my Oppo - so far I have some successes and they work great. The problems I have had are the following disks:

Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
Batman Begins
Michael Clayton
GoodFellas
Last Samurai
Lucky#Slevin
SkyCaptain
Swordfish
The Good Shepherd
Transformers
Troy
U-571

At times, AnyDVD seems to be unable to sort the disk out - usually it will eventually. Most of the time its a failure during MakeMKV - failing to read certain files, etc... I thought it may be a VC-1 problem or even the audio but I did rip Smokin Aces and Breach... both VC-1. Even changing the audio settings did seem to help. For example:
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/Movies/HD_THE_LAST_SAMURAI
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/HVDVD_TS/PEVOB_1.EVO' at offset '75896832'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/HVDVD_TS/PEVOB_1.EVO' at offset '75896832'
Failed to save title 0 to file D:/Movies/HD_THE_LAST_SAMURAI/Feature_Presentation_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Discs are essentially new, not a scratch or anything. And successful discs were repeatable, always. Failed discs failed... always.

Any assistance/guidance would be appreciated.

AnyDVD HD 7.4.2.0
MakeMKV v1.8.8 (Win-64v)

I thought it may have been a VC-1 issue
post #39 of 47 Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a few that just wont work myself. training day and matrix reloaded I can think of off the top of my head. I have trouble playing them via my 360 as well. no idea if another hd-dvd drive would fix the problem or not because the discs look perfect.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #40 of 47 Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM

I also bought a xbox 360 hd-dvd player and a bunch of discounted hd-dvds after they went officially defunct. I was able to find a windows driver for the drive (just use the same usb cable it comes with) and used AnyDVDHD to rip almost all of the movies. I only had trouble with one disc - A Christmas Story. I spent a couple more bucks and bought another copy of the movie just to test and it wouldn't rip either. It also would hang about halfway through watching it if I hooked it up to my XBOX 360 to play, so i guess it's either a disc/drive incompatibility or the disc was mastered incorrectly.
post #41 of 47 Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ripped my first hd dvd. I got an iso file using Anydvd hd. I'm trying to play it using TMT 6.5 and Jriver 19. Not able to play it. If I double click an iso blu ray it will play perfectly in TMT. No luck with the hd dvd. I can't even get Jriver to import the movie. Any suggestions?
post #42 of 47 Old 05-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Here is the summary on how to watch those last few remaining HD-DVDs on your Apple TV or other IOS devices if you have a MAC... surprisingly for just the cost of the HD-DVD drive:

1. Purchase an XBOX 360 HD DVD drive off of eBay. This drive plugs right into your Mac's USB port and is immediately recognized in OS X Mavericks. This drive will play CDs, DVDs, and HD-DVDs. No Blu-rays.

2. Download and install MakeMKV

3. Download and install Handbrake

4. Pop-In the HD-DVD. The DVD player app will run and indicate that the disc is not recognized. Close the application. To my knowledge there is no way to actually watch the HD-DVD in its native format on the Mac.

5. Open MakeMKV. It will access the drive and it should recognize the HD-DVD and display the HD-DVD icon. Click File > Open Disc and it will process the titles on the drive. A list of titles will be presented. Select the ones you want (there are other posts to help you figure those out). Click the MakeMKV button, and after a few hours you will have a digital version of your HD-DVD. This file is huge... basically a copy of the HD-DVD content... like 11GB. MakeMKV does provide an option to stream the HD-DVD content to another device - you could do this - but who has time to stream every movie?

6. Open HandBrake. Open the MKV file. Select the AppleTV 3 device - which will save the AC3 and stereo soundtracks. When complete, this will produce an M4V file that is about half the size of the MKV. Unlike an MP4 file, the M4V file stores chapter information and can support the AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio track. This format will give you the highest audio quality when played on your AppleTV - assuming it is connected to a receiver/pre-amp.

7. Import the M4V file to iTunes and enable Home Sharing, and you will be able to view all of your old HD-DVDs on your Apple TV and other devices in excellent resolution. Note that technically the resolution is lower than the original since it has gone through all the processing.

Hope this helps!
post #43 of 47 Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob00 View Post

7. Import the M4V file to iTunes and enable Home Sharing, and you will be able to view all of your old HD-DVDs on your Apple TV and other devices in excellent resolution. Note that technically the resolution is lower than the original since it has gone through all the processing.

Unless you crop or resize the video, the resolution will be the same. It's the quality that goes down when you encode (Handbrake step in the example above). MakeMKV just removes encryption and changes the container to MKV so that version retains full HD-DVD quality.
post #44 of 47 Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

my Training Day hd-dvd seems to have bitten the dust.

Years ago I muxed it to mkv and only kept the AC3 audio track. back then I didn't know as much about the codecs and whatnot as I do now and couldn't figure out how to get 5.1 audio on my receiver without AC3.

when I tried redoing it with truehd audio I got tons of error messages.

it seems to be one of the reported "laser rot" hd-dvds. it wouldn't play on my xbox 360 either. perhaps ill see if warner is still doing this http://www.cnet.com/news/trade-hd-dvds-for-blu-rays-with-warners-red2blu-program smile.gif

My HTPC front end set up
post #45 of 47 Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 AM

I have numerous HD-DVD rips. They were used by Arcsoft TMT on a media center PC many years ago. I recently purchased a media player that can play all the "current" formats but not my HD-DVD rips. So I need to convert them.

The file structure consists of a main directory called HVDVD_TS and contains .evo and .map files.

So can I use the current version of MakeMKV to convert these files to MKV?
post #46 of 47 Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

you can, but you might consider running them thru eac3to. using makemkv alone will give you 29.97 fps files. eac3to will fix the pulldown issue and give you 23.976 video.

My HTPC front end set up
post #47 of 47 Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

politby reported the problem in this post (and subsequent conversation with me). I ripped a couple of HD DVDs and surely PGS subtitles rippled with MakeMKV were non-working with any subtitle filters I tried (MPC-HC's own, VSFitler, ffdshow).

Nobody has this problem? It's only politby and me?

And me. I was planning on converting the rip to BR and running that through MakeMKV, but perhaps I'll try the suggestion a few posts back about converting the subs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page