post #91 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

And if your htpc is connected to the internet it is both foolish and irresponsible not to keep Windows updated and to have a security suite that you also keep updated.

Agree again. using image back ups you can undo anything that happens bad.. but often good happens too. So it's worth staying up to date.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well my idea of what htpc does is a bit different than yours. I prefer to install only whats needed for playback and nothing else. The rest just not needed and not having it installed keep things simple and running smooth.

I can see if your doing all your video editing and ripping. That stuff takes up space and would be nice on a bigger drive. I use my main desktop for that.

I have a 18+ TB server and a few other pc's in the house so my htpc is used only for whats its supposed to do. In my opinion it keeps it running better.

I see both sides but for my usage its just spending $20-$50 more for something I more than likely wont use.
post #93 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just go with WHS + Flexraid. Its a fantastic choice.

I grabbed it on the last day of the sale.

Thanks again.

Will play with it this weekend.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #94 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbitt 1080P View Post

Well my idea of what htpc does is a bit different than yours. I prefer to install only whats needed for playback and nothing else. The rest just not needed and not having it installed keep things simple and running smooth.

I can see if your doing all your video editing and ripping. That stuff takes up space and would be nice on a bigger drive. I use my main desktop for that.

I have a 18+ TB server and a few other pc's in the house so my htpc is used only for whats its supposed to do. In my opinion it keeps it running better.

I see both sides but for my usage its just spending $20-$50 more for something I more than likely wont use.

Sounds like you have a good understanding of your needs, and thus your choice makes sense in many ways for you.

I'll still disagree, but your not wrong.

-

post #95 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

It's not "anal"; your solution just creates clutter and looks like garbage. It certainly is a ridiculous alternative to paying $30 more for a larger internal SSD in the first place. Indeed, it looks exactly like someone who didn't plan very well in the first place and so has to come up with a kluge.

BTW, no one was talking about putting media on the SSD. Hanging a USB external hard drive off the htps was your solution for having bought too small an SSD. To each his own, but I don't think it's a very good one.

I simply don't need larger than a 64GB SSD. If you read my previous posts I have 27GB free on the SSD and use the external drives for storage. It's not a matter of cost/size/whatever, I simply don't need a larger OS drive. When I bought mine last year for $80 the 128GB was twice the price. Even at a $30 difference I would probably still buy the 64GB because $30 is still $30 wasted to me if I have no use for it.

Sitting underneath my tv I have my htpc, wired keyboard and mouse, 3 external drives totaling 5TB for media, HDHomerun tuner, xbox 360 with 2 wireless controllers, and a surge protector/battery backup. Your opinion of having an external drive "creates clutter and looks like garbage" is just another piece of electronics to me. I'll never understand that viewpoint but it's your opinion which you are entitled to.
post #96 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry to switch the topic but staying on SSD but moving from htpc to laptop. My wife has a 2006 Macbook Pro (C2D). It has a SATA 1 in it and running 10.7 Lion. I thought about putting a 120gb SSD in that because its a laptop and it currently has a 120gb in it and i would get in a lot of trouble to go smaller.

Now i read a few people putting SSDs in their machine then i read others saying you cant because TRIM is not supported unless you have an official Mac SSD. Anyone know anything about this? Am i wasting my time thinking about this?

I ask because we will b upgrading her to a new one once the refresh happens and i would like to use that as an htpc extender in my spare bedroom.
post #97 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigga24 View Post

Sorry to switch the topic but staying on SSD but moving from htpc to laptop. My wife has a 2006 Macbook Pro (C2D). It has a SATA 1 in it and running 10.7 Lion. I thought about putting a 120gb SSD in that because its a laptop and it currently has a 120gb in it and i would get in a lot of trouble to go smaller.

Now i read a few people putting SSDs in their machine then i read others saying you cant because TRIM is not supported unless you have an official Mac SSD. Anyone know anything about this? Am i wasting my time thinking about this?

I ask because we will b upgrading her to a new one once the refresh happens and i would like to use that as an htpc extender in my spare bedroom.

Without trim your time and performance will degrade.

How long you need it for ? Years ? Months ?
But for a cheap ssd price and for short time it's not a bad solution.

-

post #98 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM

I was just going to use it just to use it, otherwise it would sit on a shelf collecting dust and i definitely was not going to give it away. I may just keep it as is since it runs fine besides going on its 3rd battery which i refuse to buy. So i'll just keep it plugged in and buy a BT keyboard and boot that baby into windows and keep it running MC connected to a 42in plasma.

Thinking of time of use it probably isnt worth it.
post #99 of 124 Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

I guess I'll chime in on hardware. I think my Crucial M4 65GB SSD is going bad.

I started getting the BSOD 1-2 hours after the HTPC had been on (didn't matter what programs were running). When the HTPC would restart the BIOS would not see the SSD and I'd get a MSTRBOOT record not found error. I'd have to completely turn off the HTPC (switch on back of PSU) then turn it back on. It would then recognize the SSD no problem and bootup WIN7. After 1-2 hours BSOD.

Changed out SATA cable, used a different cable from the PSU, and tried different SATA ports on the mobo. Still BSOD 1-2 hours later.

Had to make a copy to a 500GB HDD and create a new MSTRBOOT record on it and I am running fine for 3 days now on the mechanical HDD.

Anyone know a good way to troubleshoot SSD's? I had loaded the latest firmware to it back last September. I know SSD's have a certain lifespan when it comes to read & writes, but it is only 8 months old and this problem seems different.

Try updating the firmware. Sounds like the 5000 problem most Crucial M4's have.

Quote:

I was just going to use it just to use it, otherwise it would sit on a shelf collecting dust and i definitely was not going to give it away. I may just keep it as is since it runs fine besides going on its 3rd battery which i refuse to buy. So i'll just keep it plugged in and buy a BT keyboard and boot that baby into windows and keep it running MC connected to a 42in plasma.

Thinking of time of use it probably isnt worth it.

Throw the SSD into it and use it. You can always yank the SSD out when you decide to replace it for good.

TRIM is just a garbage collector thing.. some SSD's have this built into them. Look for an SSD that does- Most of the Sandforce Controllers have something built into them to do it.

-

post #100 of 124 Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW the OCZ is $48 shipped right now for the 60GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227725

-

post #101 of 124 Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

There are ways to enable trim on non-Apple SSD's. Search for it ,I no it exists. I think it's just called trim enabler. Honestly though unless you've got a real problem with the speed I wouldn't bother with the SSD. If you do decide to go for it, it should work fine though.
post #102 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM

Guys I need help! So I installed the ssd and updated firmware while in my current install. I then unplugged everything except the ssd and ran windows 7 install. It got to the point where it couldn't find my drive and I loaded my motherboard SATA drivers. It still didn't find it.

I went to the repair screen and loaded drivers and still nothing.

I switched SATA ports, turned on ahci, turned off SATA-ide combined, did the cmd window clean command also.

The BIOS sees it but windows install does not. Also the cmd window sees it.

I have a biostar TA790gx 128m motherboard.
post #103 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Guys I need help! So I installed the ssd and updated firmware while in my current install. I then unplugged everything except the ssd and ran windows 7 install. It got to the point where it couldn't find my drive and I loaded my motherboard SATA drivers. It still didn't find it.

I switched SATA ports, turned on ahci, turned off SATA-ide combined, did the cmd window clean command also.

I have a biostar GA790gx 128m motherboard.

I have had this problem.

Step one: update you motherboard bios to most recent.

Step 2: delete all partitions an SSD and repartition at max size and format.

When windows stalls just let it run for a long time. Be patient and let it run for hours searching if needed. Once your installed it's fine.

How old is your motherboard ? Have you updated the firmware?

You might want try updating the SSD firmware too again

Make sure your in ACHI. But sometimes if you had been in IDE mode you need to use that to delete that partition and restart before ACHI mode shows it.

It's just buggy combo of hardware you got. It happens

-

post #104 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM

BIOS is January 09. I just ran firmware update and utility said no ssd requires update. Running BIOS update now, online tool says It's the latest bit I downloaded a beta.

Also ssd didn't have partition yet.
post #105 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Updated BIOS and original windows install worked so update took. Will try to reinstall now.
post #106 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Updated BIOS and original windows install worked so update took. Will try to reinstall now.

Good luck

-

post #107 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 AM

Didn't work.

I went back and created partition also. Did all the above again and nothing. But the drive shows up as an option to find the driver, this is weird.

Should I install with motherboard set to ide?

In my BIOS I have my ssd and a SATA hdd and they are both listed as IDE with ahci enabled and SATA IDE combined disabled. Even my bluray drive is listed as IDE when It's SATA.

If I choose native IDE as opposed to ahci and SATA-ide combined mode enabled then my drive shows up as SATA.
post #108 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Nothing worked, even switching to IDE. Maybe I have a bad drive.
post #109 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing worked, even switching to IDE. Maybe I have a bad drive.

Worth a shot. Might try different brand SSD.

What exactly happens when you go to install windows ?

Does the bios see it ?

-

post #110 of 124 Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM

It asks for drivers and then it continues and says no new device was found.

BIOS sees the drive and previous windows install sees it as well. I called Staples for a replacement.

When I updated the firmware, the tool ran and rebooted the machine then the update took place and said press key to finish. Windows started and before the desktop showed the firmware tool started again and asks if i would like it to run. I said no and the desktop appeared.

After you suggested to update again, the tool said no drive was available that needed the update. During booting it listed the firmware version. Of 000f which was correct.

Not sure what else there was to do.
post #111 of 124 Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It asks for drivers and then it continues and says no new device was found.

BIOS sees the drive and previous windows install sees it as well. I called Staples for a replacement.

When I updated the firmware, the tool ran and rebooted the machine then the update took place and said press key to finish. Windows started and before the desktop showed the firmware tool started again and asks if i would like it to run. I said no and the desktop appeared.

After you suggested to update again, the tool said no drive was available that needed the update. During booting it listed the firmware version. Of 000f which was correct.

Not sure what else there was to do.

Swap the drive and try again I guess...

-

post #112 of 124 Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I have a biostar GA790gx 128m motherboard.

What brand/model is the SSD?
post #113 of 124 Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

What brand/model is the SSD?

I think he said it was an M4 from staples somewhere.

I might be wrong.

-

post #114 of 124 Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Well new drive same issue. Windows install does not see the drive at all. When it asks me for a driver, I point to my usb and select the amd driver that I got from the motherboard driver webpage. The driver shows up as compatible then it says no new hardware has been found.

Just to be clear: I updated firmware with original windows 7 install (so the drive does work), made sure ahci was on in BIOS, ssd was only drive connected.

Man what am I missing?? Do I have to wait for windows 8...
post #115 of 124 Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well new drive same issue. Windows install does not see the drive at all. When it asks me for a driver, I point to my usb and select the amd driver that I got from the motherboard driver webpage. The driver shows up as compatible then it says no new hardware has been found.

Just to be clear: I updated firmware with original windows 7 install (so the drive does work), made sure ahci was on in BIOS, ssd was only drive connected.

Man what am I missing?? Do I have to wait for windows 8...

Your problem is either a different SSD model or you need to reflash your motherboard bios

I suggested upgrading your bios on your motherboard earlier. Did you ?

Does the motherboard see the SSD ok in bios ?

If so then issue is probably window install related and quick call to the SSD mfg support should clear it up

-

post #116 of 124 Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM

I did flash the motherboard already. I think what's more disturbing is that windows wont install no matter what the settings are in BIOS.

Yes, BIOS sees ssd every time, so does my current windows install.

Tried using an original windows install disk and an sp1 install and neither worked.

I just fixed my previous post, my motherboard is a Biostar TA790GX 128M with the AMD SB750 southbridge.
post #117 of 124 Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did flash the motherboard already. I think what's more disturbing is that windows wont install no matter what the settings are in BIOS.

Yes, BIOS sees ssd every time, so does my current windows install.

Tried using an original windows install disk and an sp1 install and neither worked.

I just fixed my previous post, my motherboard is a Biostar TA790GX 128M with the AMD SB750 southbridge.

Odd problem. Sometimes can you let it search or run a long time ??? I had an issue like that... I just walked away and went to bed. In the morning the screen came up. Who knows how long it took... lol.

Or-

Can you install the OS on another PC then remove after the first reboot and install it to complete in your desired PC ?

-

post #118 of 124 Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM

FINALLY!! It was my bluray drive! I'm currently installing from a usb dvd burner with BIOS on ahci mode and windows didn't ask for a driver either.

Crucial tech support pointed it out and I remembered that initially installed windows with this same drive before I got a bluray drive.
post #119 of 124 Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice!

-

post #120 of 124 Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM

Just an update, after all my apps and settings and updates and such. My OS install size is 11gb. I did disable Restore, Hibernation and Pagefile but i'm really surprised to see it this small.

As far as performance, the boot time is nice but i never reboot and just put to s3 sleep. Media Center does seem more zippy but i dont really see the performance benefits that everyone is speaking of, maybe because i'm have nothing to install like games and such.

When i open things like computer and control panel it may be 1 or 2 seconds faster. Not sure if this is worth it considering how fast the prices are dropping recently. I may re-buy and do a rebuild in the fall.

In any case you guys taught me a lot and i learned a lot through the process so thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page