Is multi audio output possible... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think this was touched on in another thread I was reading, but it had more to do with the zone control on a AVR.

I have ordered my parts to build my HTPC and was wondering if this will work:

When watching movies or tv using the HTPC does it, or can it output in both HDMI to tv and optical out to receiver?

Most of the time we watch with sound from the tv, but once and a while, I like to switch on the old AVR (No HDMI support) to listen to music or movies.

I will have the HDMI from the HTPC hooked to the TV, but would run an optical audio cable from the HTPC to the AVR.

I currrenlty have my PS3 hooked up this way and have it set to "multi-audio output" so it works just fine. As I was reading some other posts, I started getting worried that this wont be possible. (a real bummer for me) as I dont have the money in the budget for an AVR upgrade.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 AM

I think it is possible because I saw some information about using a microphone or headset for skype only. In Win 7 I think it is possible. If you click on the speaker icon on the bottom left of the screen the last entry lets you select the sound items with multiple entrys possible.

The Truth will find a way!
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, it's possible. There are multiple ways of doing it. However, it doesn't seem like you need both SPDIF and HDMI audio to be active at the same time, just easily switchable, no?
post #4 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Yes, it's possible. There are multiple ways of doing it. However, it doesn't seem like you need both SPDIF and HDMI audio to be active at the same time, just easily switchable, no?

Actually, I would like to have both SPDIF and HDMI out at the same time. However, it looks as though Windows 7 does not support this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

Actually, I would like to have both SPDIF and HDMI out at the same time. However, it looks as though Windows 7 does not support this.

Some software that runs on Windows 7 definitely supports this, e.g. JRiver media Center.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

How can I easily toggle between them for the time being?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
In Windows, the software application will need to have "sound card source" selection settings (defualt sound device etc).

There are a few mobos that do multi Audio out, i never bothered to document them.......
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM

Haven't had a chance to play around with this app yet, but it may accomplish what you need. http://sourceforge.net/projects/win7audioswitch/ If the app does work you could use a program such as intelliremote to make it so that a single push of a remote button changes the audio output.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org

post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
It's possible. Although it's much easier to do when your motherboard does it by default.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking View Post

In Windows, the software application will need to have "sound card source" selection settings (defualt sound device etc).

There are a few mobos that do multi Audio out, i never bothered to document them.......

Ok, it seems that my mobo does support Multi-streaming audio... (according to the specs on the website) . I dont remember seeing anything in the bios setup about it. I will look again when I get home. I have an ASUS P8Z68-M PRO Z68.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

The problem is that by default you can only have one source as a default within windows 7. One option you might try is running HDMI to the tv and then running an optical cable from the tv to your receiver. Other than that you will have to go into the audio properties of windows and change the default or use a front end like JRiver Media Center and set up each connector as a zone and have them both play simultaneously.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page