Is there a way to get recorded TV from my receiver to my hard drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PC I'd like to use as an HTPC and store video that I record from U-Verse. I really like the interface of U-Verse, the number of HD channels, etc and have found all PC TV tuners and software to be lacking in comparison. The one thing that's missing is amount of storage. I'd love to be able to move programs from the U-Verse box to my PC for archiving purposes.

Is there any way to accomplish this? What about going the other way back to the U-Verse box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

I have a PC I'd like to use as an HTPC and store video that I record from U-Verse. I really like the interface of U-Verse, the number of HD channels, etc and have found all PC TV tuners and software to be lacking in comparison. The one thing that's missing is amount of storage. I'd love to be able to move programs from the U-Verse box to my PC for archiving purposes.

Is there any way to accomplish this? What about going the other way back to the U-Verse box?

Don't know much about U-verse boxes but I know I am able to hook up a Sata HDD to my DirecTv box and use it as extra storage... from there I should be able to get the video content off.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdastas View Post

Don't know much about U-verse boxes but I know I am able to hook up a Sata HDD to my DirecTv box and use it as extra storage... from there I should be able to get the video content off.

via USB?
post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have not tried this myself, but I read that the media stored on Directv is encrypted so you can not play it unless it goes through Dirctv box. If you cancel your subscription you can not play back the stored media. I would be intertested to know if this is true.

I use the Happauge Clossus to record the shows I want from Directv. I save them on my HTPC and I can play them back at any time wihout using DTv. The downside is that Colossus will only record in analog (up to 1080i) but the difference in resolution is not noticible to me.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

The content on all STBs and even the external drives for extra storage is encrypted and no method AFAIK for unencrypting. The Colossus will get the job done. For a less expensive solution look at the Avermedia HD DVR. I've been using one for a couple of years and it has worked for HD on Dish, Comcast and DirecTV and the quality is just as good as the original. You will have to use component connections as you'll most likely get HDCP errors with HDMI.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

I have not tried this myself, but I read that the media stored on Directv is encrypted so you can not play it unless it goes through Dirctv box. If you cancel your subscription you can not play back the stored media. I would be intertested to know if this is true.

I use the Happauge Clossus to record the shows I want from Directv. I save them on my HTPC and I can play them back at any time wihout using DTv. The downside is that Colossus will only record in analog (up to 1080i) but the difference in resolution is not noticible to me.

Sounds like he still just wants to play everything with his STB, just wants more storage.

OP if thats the case most STB's (as stated above) can accept an external hard drive. Sometimes the provider will charge you a fee, which imo is a joke but whatever. Have a look on your box.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Sounds like he still just wants to play everything with his STB, just wants more storage.

OP if thats the case most STB's (as stated above) can accept an external hard drive. Sometimes the provider will charge you a fee, which imo is a joke but whatever. Have a look on your box.

Agreed, Just take a look at your box and see if it has Sata connections.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Agreed, Just take a look at your box and see if it has Sata connections.

You mean esata? Also look for usb which will be the most common.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page