Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

... Without even asking they waived all the fees and return shipping. I simply and politely explained the situation and 30 seconds later it was done.

That's for the wake-up call, you all.

Go NewEgg!

While this is great for you, it's still hard to swallow because think of all the peeps that don't bother complaining and they just keep their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I've had newegg downright refuse a return one time. I can't even remember what, but they gave me some BS reason. Fortunately it was only on something that was $30. I have NEVER had even the slightest issue with Amazon returns. Free shipping, and they've always reimbursed me the full amount. Sometimes they say they are going to charge me for shipping or restocking if I select the "I didn't want it" option, but they never actually do. They are also extremely speedy at processing the return.

I use to love newegg, but amazon's customer service is 5 stars IMO. Now I only order on newegg if I have to.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

A restocking fee is understandable and justifiable if I'm returning an item because I changed my mind about it. Newegg, or any other retailer, has to inspect the item for damage upon receipt and then place it back in their inventory. They can only resell the item as an open box item at a discounted price so the fee partially helps to make up for the loss in profit margin.

Only if it's because change of mind, OP's case was not. And IMHO it's not acceptable if it's a defective or damaged product, I expect a free replacement or full refund, including shipping and that's what amazon has always given me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I think one other thing people aren't realizing is that Amazon is a giant compared to Newegg. Yes Newegg has been becoming it's own large entity, but Amazon has been around longer and has probably found an efficient way to deal with the process of restocking, whatever that might be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg one day changes this restocking fee or make it so they have to test the equipment first.
post #33 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

ASRock's policy is that repairs/refunds are done only through dealers (like Newegg) unless you are a reseller yourself. The only service the manufacturer will provide is to help resolve any issues with the dealer.

This doesn't surprise me since they aren't in the US.

Only partially true in the case of Asrock. It is true that refunds can only be issued by the reseller. However, Asrock will repair (or more likely replace) a defective product via RMA. The owner pays to ship the item to them and they pay return shipping. I know this from first-hand experience with Asrock within the past few months and I have to say overall, I was satisfied with the support (communications, ease of RMA process, turn around time, etc.). It's not the best support I've encountered (the best would be a tie between Western Digital with their advance replacement and Amazon for products they sell directly) nor the worst (which goes to Asus-long story that will ultimately be resolved in small claims court).
post #34 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I was going to mention it too. They do not advertise it, because they do not want people taking advantage of it. But they are very quick to do what is right.

Good people, they cost a little more on many things, but it is worth it to me.

+1: When the price of WHS2011 suddenly dropped 40% several months back (of course I purchased at the high end of the that 40% margin ) Newegg happily credited me the difference almost two weeks post purchase with a quick phone call. I recall the rep specifically stating that my extensive purchase history with them was a factor in their decision.
post #35 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

... nor the worst (which goes to Asus-long story that will ultimately be resolved in small claims court).

Doesn't surprise me and good luck with that.

FWIW I know that ASUS has a very large following.

I avoid ASUS whenever possible.

Which is most of the time.

In my recent experience ASUS does not go
an extra inch, let alone an extra mile.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #36 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I think one other thing people aren't realizing is that Amazon is a giant compared to Newegg. Yes Newegg has been becoming it's own large entity, but Amazon has been around longer and has probably found an efficient way to deal with the process of restocking, whatever that might be.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newegg one day changes this restocking fee or make it so they have to test the equipment first.

Newegg does ~2.5 billion in sales. I think they are sufficiently large enough to handle the refunds on their own.

As StardogChampion has pointed out, it took a very brief chat and the issue was resolved. It's not like he had to fight for weeks over it, or Newegg was totally unresponsive. Maybe they should have done it upfront. Not enough details have been given for anyone but StardogChampion to make an informed decision. But as far as I can read, it's much ado about nothing in the end.
post #37 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

Newegg does ~2.5 billion in sales. I think they are sufficiently large enough to handle the refunds on their own.

It's not their size that matters, it's their margins. There is an associated cost. So they can either charge everyone more, or only charge those who return items. But it's got to come from somewhere.

Let's face it. A lot of people abuse it.
post #38 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

As StardogChampion has pointed out, it took a very brief chat and the issue was resolved. It's not like he had to fight for weeks over it, or Newegg was totally unresponsive. Maybe they should have done it upfront. Not enough details have been given for anyone but StardogChampion to make an informed decision. But as far as I can read, it's much ado about nothing in the end.

And Amazon is about 48 Billion

I just think that Newegg, being far younger and small a company hasn't quite mastered as much as Amazon has as far as business practices. This restocking fee may be an old policy that has been there since Newegg's beginnings and it is because of customer feedback like in this thread that old policies change. Then again maybe not.
post #39 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Has anyone else ever received something that looked like it had been opened/used but sold as a new item from newegg?

I have received a few motherboards that I swear look like they had been opened.

yes more than once ....
I try not to buy from NewEgg unless I really can't get it else where OR if the price is just too good to pass up . BUT I always check other places as they charge me sales tax & on big ticket items that's a wad here in Cali

another problem is the Poor Job of Packing that they do . many times did I get computer parts that were just thrown in a box , the part was on the bottom & the peanuts were on top in a single wall thin box , I even got some ram that was just in a padded envelope JeZ !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #40 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
My experience has been basically the opposite with you and amazon is the one with poor packaging skills. As far as open product, I haven't experienced that at all with either from what I can tell. As a matter of fact the two Samsung F4's I just got from newegg had sequential S/N's. They also sent me some %off thank you codes for that purchase. One of them was for drive enclusures. I bought a drive enclosure a few weeks ago. I opened a chat with them and they retroactivelly applied the 10% discount.

I like both amazon and newegg and will buy from either depending on who's got the best deal going at the time I'm ready to buy.

post #41 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Amazon once sent me a hard drive that was in a static bag inside a padded envelope. Needless to say, it was DOA.

post #42 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazon once sent me a hard drive that was in a static bag inside a padded envelope. Needless to say, it was DOA.

Had to be a vendor on Amazon rather than shipped from an Amazon warehouse?
post #43 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

Same Exact thing that happened to me as well BUT it was NewEgg that did that ! !
I learned that if I order a OEM drive, it will come that way . Soo I got that I'd bundle my orders to where they had to pack all in box & the OEM drives would at least have a chance @ surviving the trip .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #44 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM

lol at the ping/pong back and forth of who's better ...
post #45 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I sure as heck hope they're not "restocking" the item (i.e., putting it back on the shelf) if it's defective.

Nah, Fry's has exclusive rights to that practice and policy

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #46 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
can't say as i blame them...

especially if you hang out on pc-related forums... many people have no problem rma'ing items that melted down because of user error and lying about it...

gotta make money somehow...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #47 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

...especially if you hang out on pc-related forums... many people have no problem rma'ing items that melted down because of user error...

Or A/V related forums.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #48 of 52 Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup... is right...

we all pay in the end when people are dishonest...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #49 of 52 Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

can't say as i blame them...

especially if you hang out on pc-related forums... many people have no problem rma'ing items that melted down because of user error and lying about it...

gotta make money somehow...

This has been my theory as to why Newegg sorta pushes people in to contacting them. Probably helps weed out a few folks that aren't quite being honest.

That said, I was royally pissed one of the times I had to call. Felt kinda foolish though afterwards since they were so accommodating once I spoke to a rep.
post #50 of 52 Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:

^^^

yup... is right...

we all pay in the end when people are dishonest...

Agree 100%. Whatever happened to being responsiable for your actions?
post #51 of 52 Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

sadly, the mentality of "if i can get away with it, it's ok" has taken hold... look at the "rationalizations" that many put forth for stealing music/movies...

- chris

post #52 of 52 Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

Or A/V related forums.

Definitely bad, that's for sure. But, it's not the worst I've heard. On a car forum I frequent, a guy bought a belt sander from Wal-Mart to use on his car (yep, you read that right - paint prep with a belt sander), used it, and returned it for a full refund. Talk about a serious waste of skin...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page