WMC7 + HDHR Prime = 'NO TV SIGNAL' & interrupted recordings? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else having this problem? I will be watching a recording and occasionally I will get an error warning and my options are to go to recordings or cancel. When I chose to go to the recordings I see that the program it warned me about is being recorded seemingly w/o issue. I don't understand why I get these pop ups all the time but it records anyway.

The second issue I'm having (probably related) is that recordings will be interrupted randomly. Sometimes it's 5min into a 30min program and sometimes it's an hour into a two hour program. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I have plenty of tuners available so that's not it.

I have two HDHR Primes with 3 tuners each for a total of 6 tuners. I've run Tuner Salad prior to scanning so all 6 tuners show up and I've even tested several times by recording 6 HD programs simultaneously and haven't had them fail. So, I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit machine with all updates installed, newest firmware on the HDHR's and all new drivers available. My PC has a gigabit port that runs to a router that also have gigabit ports and I'm running Tomato firmware on the router. Shouldn't be a bandwidth issue at all.

I have a single run into my house for cable and then I have a brand new 1 to 3 'premium splitter' that then feeds the modem and both HDHR's with about 6' of cable going to each of them. So there is a very small possibility if signal degradation without tons of splitters or feeding lots of devices. When I run the Silicon Dust programs it looks like the signal strength on each of the six tuners is WELL within the acceptable level so I don't think it's a physical connection issue.

So what's the problem here? In my searches it looks like it may be a Windows issue but no solutions are being offered. Anyone else have this issue or a suggestion or fix? I'm getting frustrated here when I sit down to watch a show only to find out it only recorded a very small portion of it. It would be nice if I could solve this as it feels like I got all the best ingredients for no reason.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What channels is it on? Do you have a tuner diagnostics you can post from those channels that show snr?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

What channels is it on? Do you have a tuner diagnostics you can post from those channels that show snr?

As far as channels it happens on I haven't really made note of that but the channels I watch are all HD channels in the 600 & 700's. I can make note of it but it doesn't seem like it's consistently any of them. It can happen on some channels and then programs on that same channel (the same day) will record just fine. I know, for instance, that it happened a couple times on ESPNHD & ESPNHD2 today. While other programs on those same channels recorded fine.

The other issue is the pop up that says NO TV SIGNAL and I just got that while watching a program I recorded on ESPNHD. The popup was for Attack of the Show on G4HD which is channel 786. I clicked 'go to recordings' as the option and low and behold there it was... recording just fine once again. I'm watching that show now and am almost to the end and it appears as though it did record it in it's entirety so I don't know what the problem is.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just discovered that on my router flashed with Tomato firmware that the Multicast option isn't checked by default. I'm going to check that and see if it affects the issue. I also just realized you can disable the 'NO TV SIGNAL' popup warning which I did. The reason I did that was because it was popping up regularly and was quite annoying. On top of that, none of the shows it popped up on had errors. So it wasn't doing me any good. I will try with these new adjustments and if issues persist I will add an in-line cable booster to see if that addresses the problem.

Jer

post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sounds like your signal is low or too high. I'd start with troubleshooting the tuner first.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was having the same issue and I was also getting the "No tuners available" error on occasion during LiveTV. I think the problem is with WMC because when I use MythTV on Linux with the same firmware on the Prime everything works fine. No interrupted recordings, LiveTV works as it should, etc...
post #7 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check your sources, since you know espn has the issue start here. Right click ESPN in the guide, edit->edit sources. There should only be the number of tuners you have checked off. Example: If you see eight check marks and you only have six tuners this will cause the issue you describe.

If this is happening on many channels you may want to go through the set up TV signals again as it can be quite tedious to check a few hundred of them.

What happens is sometimes it will place two QAM ranges per tuner, 64 and 256. Each time it tries to access a tuner with out a signal present(say tuner one QAM64) it will throw up a no signal warning. If you are trying to record that channel it will throw up the warning then proceed to the next available tuner(say tuner one QAM256) which has a signal present so it records.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater View Post

Check your sources, since you know espn has the issue start here. Right click ESPN in the guide, edit->edit sources. There should only be the number of tuners you have checked off. Example: If you see eight check marks and you only have six tuners this will cause the issue you describe.

If this is happening on many channels you may want to go through the set up TV signals again as it can be quite tedious to check a few hundred of them.

What happens is sometimes it will place two QAM ranges per tuner, 64 and 256. Each time it tries to access a tuner with out a signal present(say tuner one QAM64) it will throw up a no signal warning. If you are trying to record that channel it will throw up the warning then proceed to the next available tuner(say tuner one QAM256) which has a signal present so it records.

Thanks for the post.

Where do you right click ESPN from? Do you simply launch WMC on a PC and then right click it from the guide or do you mean open the SD software programs to check for this?

Jer

post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM

"Do you simply launch WMC on a PC and then right click it from the guide?" Yes. You will get a box pop up with some options, click edit channel, then you will see an option to edit sources.

You could also go in through: settings >TV >guide >edit channels, highlight ESPN, click, then edit sources. This is through the media centre interface and is another way to access the same menu.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Do you simply launch WMC on a PC and then right click it from the guide?" Yes. You will get a box pop up with some options, click edit channel, then you will see an option to edit sources.

You could also go in through: settings >TV >guide >edit channels, highlight ESPN, click, then edit sources. This is through the media centre interface and is another way to access the same menu.

When I do this on ESPNHD for instance it lists only the 6 tuners I have and all are shown as 100%.

Jer

post #11 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 137
See my posts in the HDHR Prime Thread. This started happening to me yesterday. I can only tune a CableCard tuner channel in WMC if I have a CableCard tuner channel tuned in QuickTV. All the sources, signal, all that crap looks right. If QuickTV isn't running or I close it, WMC goes back to "No Signal".

I spent the whole night working on it from every angle. I am hoping SD has an answer.

Another bit of weirdness is hitting the 'scan' button next to the tuner in the HDHomeRun setup shows duplicate entries for every channel over 800 (Comcast).

Channels that are sourced from my HDHR have no issue. It's only the ones sourced from the HDHR Prime.

I've done all of the following to no avail:
- Reboot, warm and cold all HTPCs
- Soft reset from command line of HDHRPrime
- Power reset of HDHRPrime
- Uninstall HDHomeRun software and reinstall
- Turn off Media Center features and turn them back on (reinstall WMC)
- Change logon user for MC Receiver service
- Update HDHomeRun software
- Perform "repair" through HDHomeRun setup
- Rerun TV signal setup several times in various configurations
- Tear my hair out and lose valuable WAF points
- Change VTC settings, trying every selection

post #12 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

I just discovered that on my router flashed with Tomato firmware that the Multicast option isn't checked by default. I'm going to check that and see if it affects the issue. I also just realized you can disable the 'NO TV SIGNAL' popup warning which I did. The reason I did that was because it was popping up regularly and was quite annoying. On top of that, none of the shows it popped up on had errors. So it wasn't doing me any good. I will try with these new adjustments and if issues persist I will add an in-line cable booster to see if that addresses the problem.

Fingers crossed but since I made this change (enabling Multicast) in my router I haven't had a single program not record in full. Here's to hoping I continue to not have problems. I picked up a cable booster which is still sitting on my desk in the box. If this continues to work then I'm not going to chance 'breaking' it by installing it.

Jer

post #13 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

When I do this on ESPNHD for instance it lists only the 6 tuners I have and all are shown as 100%.

Thats how it should be, so your problem is elsewhere. I have no experience with HDHR prime but since it is a QAM tuner checking sources was an easy first step.

Could be possible that your provider is changing things around, back when I had a cable co. DVR what you described would happen once or twice a year for a few days then just stop and work fine. For about a week last month my clear QAM tuners would black out on some channels then be back a few hours later, one station did not come back on its own, turns out they changed the actual channel number and I had to manually reassign it back to the guide.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats how it should be, so your problem is elsewhere. I have no experience with HDHR prime but since it is a QAM tuner checking sources was an easy first step.

Could be possible that your provider is changing things around, back when I had a cable co. DVR what you described would happen once or twice a year for a few days then just stop and work fine. For about a week last month my clear QAM tuners would black out on some channels then be back a few hours later, one station did not come back on its own, turns out they changed the actual channel number and I had to manually reassign it back to the guide.

No worries man. If you read the last few posts I made I think it was a network issue which I've resolved. So far it appears to be working flawlessly after that. I had no problem checking out your suggestion since it was easy to do and wouldn't affect my other potential fix just to look and see. Had there been something unusual there it would have been a worthy fix as well. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Jer

post #15 of 15 Old 09-14-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

I wish I had stated where I specifically found this because I've been getting those pop-ups again for about a week or so and I don't see the option to disable them anywhere. My guess is that there was an update to my Windows 7 machine or to WMC specifically that not only defaults that setting back to enabled and then removed the option to disable it again. Very frustrating because I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it anywhere. These error pop-ups are getting annoying.

Jer

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page