Streaming 1080p from tower PC to HTPC over home network. Networking questions inside! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! I have what I'm going to guess is a pretty elementary question about streaming an HD source to another PC in my house. Current PC setups are as follows:

Gaming/Media Server:
i5 2500k O/C'd on air to 4.5Ghz. (This chip is incredible!! Full load temps @ 56c)
8gig corsair vengance 1600mhz DDR3
ASROCK Extreme3 Z68
Crucial M4 64Gig SSD (6GB/S)
WD 2TB Caviar Black 7200RPM
GeForce 560Ti
Windows 7 64bit

HTPC
i7 (1st gen @ 3Ghz)
Gigabit Mobo
6gig Corsair DDR3
1TB WD Caviar Black
ATI 6770
Vista 64 bit (eek!)

As far as the machines I know both are completely capable of full 3D Blu Ray playback from both source and .ISO.

Here is my question. I would love to use my new PC as a media server that will stream full 1080p to my HTPC in my theater 3 floors below. I currently do not have a network setup in the house, other than having all my PC's connected to my Verizon FIOS router that has been provided.

The house was wired with CAT 5 (I believe), may actually be CAT 5e as it is new construction. --How can I tell the difference?

What options do I have for setting up a home network that would allow me to access media (blu ray rips, music, photos, etc...) from my HTPC? I am looking for a solid solution that will not have any loss of data/lag... More importantly how would I do this? -- Also looking for a secure network =)

Also have the following equipment in my HT setup, most of it is network capable however have not connected anything as of yet. - Does anybody have a good tutorial of how to get everything on the network correctly?!

Pioneer 1021K A/V Receiver
PS3
Samsung PN59550D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You need to share the folders on your tower pc contanaining the files you want to have available on your network.

Right click on the folder and select "advanced sharing". Once in there find "NETWORK" and set the share to allow access.

You can also share the entire drive but that's a little more envoled. I'm on my phone right now and I"d actually need to walk through it myself to explain it.

Here.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by strick67 View Post

Here is my question. I would love to use my new PC as a media server that will stream full 1080p to my HTPC in my theater 3 floors below. I currently do not have a network setup in the house, other than having all my PC's connected to my Verizon FIOS router that has been provided.

The house was wired with CAT 5 (I believe), may actually be CAT 5e as it is new construction. --How can I tell the difference?

It will say on the cable. If not use some Gigabit nics to do a file transfer. Cat 5e would have much faster speeds than cat 5.

Quote:

What options do I have for setting up a home network that would allow me to access media (blu ray rips, music, photos, etc...) from my HTPC? I am looking for a solid solution that will not have any loss of data/lag... More importantly how would I do this?

Plug all of your network cables into a Gigabit switch. You can get
faster transfers through a managed switch, but IMO its not worth the cost and effort to setup.

Quote:

-- Also looking for a secure network =)

This is your routers job. Plug the Gigabit switch into one of the routers LAN ports, and everything connected to that will be protected.

Quote:

Also have the following equipment in my HT setup, most of it is network capable however have not connected anything as of yet. - Does anybody have a good tutorial of how to get everything on the network correctly?!

Not sure what you mean by this. You just plug them into the switch like a computer.

My answers were very general. The task is quite simple actually, just make sure everything is plugged into the network. Programing your devices gets a bit more complicated and specific to your setup. But Sammy covered the gist of it.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

You have everything you need. Just share the folders that hold media on the source PC and then map a drive on the machine that will play the files.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys! I actually tried this using my 10/100 router and everything seems to be working well. I can manage to stream 3-4 blu ray rips without any data loss. Sometimes I really like technology!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page