BSOD On HTPC, need some help.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, I really don't know where to begin to troubleshoot these. I built this HTPC about 9 months ago and for the most part it runs fine, but I keep getting random BSOD. At first it was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, I kinda ignored it at the time due to laziness but that one happened about 3 times since November or so.

Today I woke up and my HTPC was on randomly (should be in sleep) so I turned on the TV and had PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I restarted the PC and it did the same BSOD twice more shortly after booting before the PC actually stayed on the third time and I slept it. Now it appears to be working "fine" again, but obviously there is something wrong here.

I really need to figure this out as the HTPC is my only source for watching/recording TV. I don't know how to read the minidump files so if anyone would help I would really appreciate it. I will attach any necessary info below. I can provide any other info if necessary. Thanks!

Asus P8H67M-EVO MB
Intel Core i3-2100 Processor using Intel Graphics
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL
Crucial C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 64GB SSD for OS
LL
LL

minidumps.zip 275.4208984375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip minidumps.zip (275.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
My BSOD was caused by bad Ram.........New memory no problem. One of the guys on this site turned me on to Memtest the USB version. You just go into bios and set to boot to usb drive after you download MT on a usb drive of course.

just a thought
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 17
The dumps file don't show much conclusively. I'd run an extended memory test, and an sfc /scannow. What changes did you make to the computer before the crash? The reliability history in win 7 might show you something. You could also try driver verifier as well. A chkdsk also might be beneficial if you're not using an ssd.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I did just get memtest so I will give that a try soon. Honestly, I didn't make any changes to the HTPC directly before the blue screens. I haven't installed anything new in months and the page fault one came out of no where. The other one also just happened randomly. I basically set the HTPC up in May of last year and worked out all the kinks and was using it and they just happen at random times. thanks guys, ill run memtest overnight tonight.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
When I had random BSOD's on my HTPC, I did a full ram test (which passed everything), but still the blue screens would happen with no warning.

I ran the full sfc /scannow, and that seems to have fixed everything for me. No BSOD's since running this. It's a good get-out-of-jail fix.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page