Slingbox-like alternative for htpc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering what is out there that will allow me to access my media center from anywhere on my iPad or potentially android phone. (I'm focusing on the iPad for now) and watch tv, movies, or set up recordings?

My htpc is always on and connected to the Internet, it has a Ceton tuner, but I haven't figured this part out yet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Remote Potato. Does everything you mentioned except streaming live tv which I think you can workaround by recording the live tv then streaming the recording after a couple minutes.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Two things that I use. One is Orb software on the computer. It's a bit buggy, but when it works, it works well. You install the Orb software on your computer, it finds all tuners and recorded tv/videos, and sets up the server automatically. All you have to do it allow it through the firewall/router. Once you set it up, you can either buy the Orb app from the Android Market, or just use the browser on the phone to go to mycast.orb.com and stream that way.

The other thing I use most is the streaming software called Extend that came with my Hauppauge tuner. Works VERY well with both my phone and tablet, streams flash, and can stream full 1920x1080 hd with no problems. However, it only works with Hauppauge tuners, so unless you get one you can't use it.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Two things that I use. One is Orb software on the computer. It's a bit buggy, but when it works, it works well. You install the Orb software on your computer, it finds all tuners and recorded tv/videos, and sets up the server automatically. All you have to do it allow it through the firewall/router. Once you set it up, you can either buy the Orb app from the Android Market, or just use the browser on the phone to go to mycast.orb.com and stream that way.

The other thing I use most is the streaming software called Extend that came with my Hauppauge tuner. Works VERY well with both my phone and tablet, streams flash, and can stream full 1920x1080 hd with no problems. However, it only works with Hauppauge tuners, so unless you get one you can't use it.

I haven't used Extend with my HVR-2250 as I hate the EPG system that comes with Hauppauge Win7 Tuner Program because it isn't integrated into the playback software. WMC is much nicer. Does Extend work with that?

post #5 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
I use Remote Potato and I like it. I have to say that I don't do that much streaming with it, though.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I haven't used Extend with my HVR-2250 as I hate the EPG system that comes with Hauppauge Win7 Tuner Program because it isn't integrated into the playback software. WMC is much nicer. Does Extend work with that?

Extend doesn't work with Media Center, only with the WinTV software. I too only use Media Center for viewing and recording. I just have WinTV installed just for using extend, otherwise I never use it.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Extend doesn't work with Media Center, only with the WinTV software. I too only use Media Center for viewing and recording. I just have WinTV installed just for using extend, otherwise I never use it.

How does that work when you're only using WMC and not the crap WinTV Software.

post #8 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

I was wondering what is out there that will allow me to access my media center from anywhere on my iPad or potentially android phone. (I'm focusing on the iPad for now) and watch tv, movies, or set up recordings?

My htpc is always on and connected to the Internet, it has a Ceton tuner, but I haven't figured this part out yet.

Thanks

A great solution is DVBLink Connect! Server. Its paid, but worth every penny (dollar in your case ). I use it to stream my live tv to my HTPC and it can stream to iPhone, iPad, Android or Windows Mobile.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 13
As others have suggested, Remote Potato is the popular solution.

I have plowed through his Install FAQ 4-5 times, and can only get mine to work on my intranet, not internet, but if you can, it seems like it's the way to go.

I'm hoping to be able to log a few more hours with it this weekend and maybe get it up and running.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

How does that work when you're only using WMC and not the crap WinTV Software.

Again, I dont use the WinTV software for tv viewing, I just have it on my computer to run Extend when I want to stream video. Otherwise it just sits idle in the background. WMC does not even know it's there.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 PM

Does Extend work with their cablecard tuner yet?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

Does Extend work with their cablecard tuner yet?

Unfortunately no. I have the cablecard tuner as well, and would love for it to work. It does work with any analog or digital (ota or qam) tuners.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page