Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

I believe unraid still has issues with RealTek lan e drivers, which a decent amount of newer motherboards are utilizing.

This issue is a problem with the drivers in the linux kernel that the last official release (4.7) was built on. This problem has been addressed in 5.0 with the updated linux kernel. Like I said in my earlier post if you want full support for newer h/w then use 5.0 beta. I actually experienced this realtek NIC issue so I bought an Intel NIC (which everyone should be using anyways) for $30 and my problems disappeared.

I think that it is pretty clear that building your own server is the best bang for your buck option. One of the great things about unraid is that you can use it for free. I've been using the free version for over a year and a half. Once my storage needs exceed 4TB (and I'm getting pretty close) then I'll buy a license. So why not try it for free and see if you like it. If you don't then you can always use your h/w with some other OS, so it won't cost you a dime to try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 10
A quick check of their forums and wiki show the RealTek issue isn't fully addressed in 5.0
I'm not sure I agree with telling people to purchase a separate 30$ nic that works fine in all other aspects, but to each their own.

unRaid is a fine option and the extremely low h/w requirements are very appealing. One thing to consider is the file system. If you choose to not use unRaid and go to another solution, you have to find a way to migrate that data twice.
post #33 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM

I don't know what you're seeing but I see the moderators on the unraid forums reporting that the realtek NIC issues have been corrected in 5.0. Clearly there was trouble in the earlier betas but the issue seems to have been corrected in the last few builds. I have not tested this myself so I'm relying on the word of the moderators (which it typically pretty reliable).
post #34 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with telling people to purchase a separate 30$ nic that works fine in all other aspects, but to each their own.

true, people should actually avoid buying a MB with a realtek nic at all costs... regardless of any driver issues, the hardware just isn't as good as intel or others...

Quote:

One thing to consider is the file system. If you choose to not use unRaid and go to another solution, you have to find a way to migrate that data twice.

how so? in most cases no matter what Server A is vs Server B you will have to migrate the data anyway...
and pretty sure unraid starting in or around v5.xxx switched to one of the standard EXT filesystems...
not that there is anything wrong with ReiserFS, it was ahead of its time when it came out, and is still a quite capable FS even now...
regardless of if Hans was a bit odd...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #35 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 15
All versions on Unraid still use ReiserFS. It's not a bad file system for a server but it is starting to show it's age. The 2008 murder conviction and subsequent prison sentence of it's creator have stalled it's development.
post #36 of 51 Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

true, people should actually avoid buying a MB with a realtek nic at all costs... regardless of any driver issues, the hardware just isn't as good as intel or others...

how so? in most cases no matter what Server A is vs Server B you will have to migrate the data anyway...
and pretty sure unraid starting in or around v5.xxx switched to one of the standard EXT filesystems...
not that there is anything wrong with ReiserFS, it was ahead of its time when it came out, and is still a quite capable FS even now...
regardless of if Hans was a bit odd...

You certainly do not have to migrate the data. If you install unRaid, load your media files to it and decide you don't like it, you have to migrate the entire array to another set of disks, reformat, and then reinstall whatever else on top.

If you install FlexRaid, SnapRaid, etc... and decide you don't like it, you don't have to migrate the data from where they are now. At worst you may decide to consolidate each drive based on personal preference, but you can do so with the data structure you have in place without the need for an additional sized array to migrate to.
post #37 of 51 Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

No CD drive is required. All you need is a basic PC (MB+CPU+RAM+Case+PSU) a USB thumb drive and your HDDs.

Also, Dusan is correct in that the last official version runs on an older linux kernel but that is intentional. The developer purposely retards development to ensure that the kernel is highly stable - which stability is what you are (or at least should be) looking for in a server. If you want support for newer h/w then use the beta version of 5.0. If you want 2.2TB+ HDD support then use 5.0 beta. There are LOTS of users who are using the 5.0 beta version and there are some who are developing user add-ons and plug-ins that enhance the s/w. I don't think it is accurate to say that unraid development is dead, it may not be occurring as fast as some would prefer but it is certainly not dead.

Beta is beta, from the very definition it is version for testing only and not production ready, if it would it won't be beta. Using betas in storage solutions (where reliability is paramount) and especially in the area of home storage systems, where cost effective backup is next to impossible is just crazy.
post #38 of 51 Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpreston View Post

where do you get your information,, i assure you it is alive and well

thanks to the others that chimed in i was out of town

Version 5.0 is in development for two years, the first beta version was released in summer of 2010 and since then 19 months has passed and it is still beta and judging from the comments to the last version still far from being production ready.
The author is almost not communicating at all recently and even support is mostly provided by senior users only these days.
Not having any production version after 18 months of fiddling with betas sounds pretty must as dead software to me. The lack of commitment from the author is also troubling. The software itself was great, but its future is too unsure to serve as a viable solution for home storage.
post #39 of 51 Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. In my instance, I have been running unRAID 4.7 for at least 3 years with no problems at all. There are many MBs and other hardware on the proven list that are easily available. Also, many new pieces of HW are continuously being tested on a daily basis with updates in the forums. I am using 6 750gb drives at the moment, with plans in the future to possibly start replacing them with 1.5tbs or 2tbs. Still don't have these full yet. I use a PCI Intel gigabit NIC and will transfer it to a new MB if mine ever has to be replaced.

I think unRAID is well suited to a home server environment. In a business environment? No way.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #40 of 51 Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

In my instance, I have been running unRAID 4.7 for at least 3 years with no problems at all.

I don't see how this is possible given that 4.7 was released in Jan 2011. I'm guessing you meant to say you've been using unraid for 3 years. Nevertheless I agree with you that unraid is a great choice for a home media server.
post #41 of 51 Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsume99 View Post

I don't see how this is possible given that 4.7 was released in Jan 2011. I'm guessing you meant to say you've been using unraid for 3 years. Nevertheless I agree with you that unraid is a great choice for a home media server.

Sorry, I did update the version last year and had forgotten about it. Regardless, I have been using it for the last 3 yrs with no issues.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #42 of 51 Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
If I was to build a seperate storage solution ie. unraid server. Does the motherboard Have to be a server board? I have a extra AMD x2 dual core processor and want to use it... I can't find a server board that tAkes this processor.

Or would I be better served with a server board with a built in atom processor.
post #43 of 51 Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

If I was to build a seperate storage solution ie. unraid server. Does the motherboard Have to be a server board? I have a extra AMD x2 dual core processor and want to use it... I can't find a server board that tAkes this processor.

You don't need a server board.
post #44 of 51 Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusk01 View Post

If it were me and you wanted something dead simple and pretty cheap I would just go with Windows Home Server 2011. Its around $50 for the software and you already seem to have the hard drives and a case. As long as the chipset can do 64-bit you are fine (Most can)

Once its setup you forget all about it and it just works. I actually have mine hidden in the Garage up by the ceiling. I forget its there as its out of site

I use the home server to backup all 7 of my computers in the house.

Now my setup will be a tad different than yours as I don't stream anything from my Home Server. I actually only use my home server for backups. This way if one of my computer dies, I have a copy of everything I need to get it backup and running in no time, and no data loss. If my home server were to crash, then the computers all have their data still on them.

I do have a portable USB hard drive that I plug into any computer once a month and backup documents and pictures, and bring that to my office for off site. I might switch that to cloud backup, but have not decided yet.

I like the home server as I can setup my Shares and specify what users can have what kind of access. Plus I can share pics very easily with family and friends by giving them a link to my home server with a login.

Ken~

Interesting....

I was attracted to WHS because of the streaming data from server to client, meaning not having to keep adding external drives or cracking open the case and adding additional drives there.

The other attraction is smaller, less power hungry clients locally and host all data on the server. Adding parity and online back up will ensure data is always safe. Keeping a few flash drives and a few externals around and in a safe place is the third or four level of protection against mother nature, accidents and drive failure.

Also I like to travel, so being able to watch content on the go is important instead carrying externals around with you.

Finally admin your own server translates into useful information for Server 2008 and Small Business Server usage, add to CV/Resume.

A. Thomas -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: djfourmoney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #45 of 51 Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

On the unraid.me page they like AMD Sempron and a Biostar 760 board with 6 SATA ports and on-board video (HD4xxx). Sempron is a 65W TDP CPU and can be unlocked to a Athlon II Dual Core.

http://unraid.me/buy/

WHS 2011 has TV Archive built into the connector IF you are using Windows Media Center. This will become more valuable when I travel away from home and want US centric content, there isn't much in Germany in English unless you have Sky (like DirecTV) or Armed Forces Network access.

My HTPC will continue to record and build up of course.....

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #46 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
is there any benefit to use a server motherboard than a regular motherboard for WHS?
post #47 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

is there any benefit to use a server motherboard than a regular motherboard for WHS?

For straight WHS? Not really.

If you plan on running ESXi, yes.
post #48 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

Server boards usually have more memory slots, Sata ports, and on board RAID controllers.
post #49 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Some server boards have IPMI which is pretty cool. You can remote into the server and view/config the bios! Setup windows from any computer!

post #50 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Some server boards have IPMI which is pretty cool. You can remote into the server and view/config the bios! Setup windows from any computer!

+1 to this...
if your sever(s) will be located in a out of the way/hard to reach place, IPMI really is nice...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #51 of 51 Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Only if you routinely need to access the BIOS and your board doesn't support EFI. WHS supports RDC for routine maintenance needs.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page