WMC 7 Playback Issue Related To Audio Driver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have a weird issue with Windows 7 Media Center, where I get an error message stating,

"VIDEO ERROR"
Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer".

What makes it weird is I have determined this is an issue with the AUDIO driver - not video.

My set up is a typical Windows 7 64 machine. I'm using a LCD monitor for computing, and I have an Nvidia HDMI card installed with an HDMI cable running to my receiver for watching TV. My tuner is an HDHR Prime. The LCD is connected to the Nvidia's VGA port.

The system has been running fine for months. I swapped out the system HD with a clean HD and clean Windows 7 install for a few days while trying to troubleshoot a hibernation issue.

That is when this new issue started. While setting up the clean HD, I installed the latest VIA HD audio drivers from my motherboard's web site (ASUS). I started getting this error. I didn't attribute it to an audio issue at first, as the error claims the problem is video related.

After searching Google, I discovered others with the same issue. Several people claimed it was related to the audio driver. I tried installing an older version of the audio driver, but it does not fix the problem.

If I open WMC on my LCD, and use the on-board sound, everything works fine.

If I open WMC on my HDTV, any recording I play will play without sound for about 5-10 seconds, then the error displays.

If I open WMC on my LCD, and start playing a recording using the on-board sound, then drag the window to my HDTV, then switch sound playback back to the Nvidia HDMI out, everything plays fine.

So if there actually were a problem with "files needed to display video", switching back and forth between audio output would not fix anything.

Unfortunately, after putting back my original HD, I again updated the audio driver and carried over this problem.

I have tried un-installing the VIA HD audio from Device Manager and reverting back to the old driver, but the problem remains.

It's getting very old having to jump through the changing audio playback device hoop every night.

I searched this forum for that error, but nothing has come up. Has anyone come across this or even heard of it before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Set your audio to stereo. I know, sounds weird, but it will fix this issue. You'll still have multichannel audio in WMC.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
yep, don't mess with the audio control panel.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did a bit more searching after posting. again, I found numerous posts (not on AVS) about the issue. One post gave me the idea to change the Nvidia HDMI driver to a different version.

I tried that and, although it seems to have worked, I hesitate to say that for sure until I can test for a few days. Weird that it never crossed my mind that the problem might not have been the on board audio driver, but rather the HDMI audio driver.

Also weird that I didn't find anyone on AVS mention this issue, considering the number of people who use MCE here.

But weirdest of all is that MCE calls it a problem with a video file.

I will report back in a couple of days whether or not changing that driver solved the problem.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It's been an issue with Nvidia drivers since last summer, and it is mentioned on here at least a few places.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, like I said, I searched for the exact error message, even Googled it. It didn't come up.

Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Liked: 10
Anytime I've seen this, it was related to the dreaded PAP / HDMI issue. As a test, when connected over HDMI, disable the VIA audio out withing the audio control panel (analog and digital outputs), so the entire audio/video signal is sent using the protected HDMI path. You should then get your audio and video out via HDMI.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

I did a bit more searching after posting. again, I found numerous posts (not on AVS) about the issue. One post gave me the idea to change the Nvidia HDMI driver to a different version.

I tried that and, although it seems to have worked, I hesitate to say that for sure until I can test for a few days. Weird that it never crossed my mind that the problem might not have been the on board audio driver, but rather the HDMI audio driver.

Also weird that I didn't find anyone on AVS mention this issue, considering the number of people who use MCE here.

But weirdest of all is that MCE calls it a problem with a video file.

I will report back in a couple of days whether or not changing that driver solved the problem.

which version did you change it too?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

which version did you change it too?

I'm at work so I'll have to wait till I get home. But I can tell you I used Nvidia's auto equipment detecting app and let it detect my card and download the proper driver.

I'm on Win 7 64 bit, fwiw.

Ghostlobster, that is a very logical troubleshooting idea. However, unless you know the real issue ahead of time (difficult if you believe WMC's error message), one probably would not think to do that!

OK. 296.10 is the download package. Device Manager reports the driver version is 8.17.12.9610 dated 2/29/12.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Well, like I said, I searched for the exact error message, even Googled it. It didn't come up.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I just googled "video error files needed to play" and the first result is 68 posts here at avs.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what your point is. You didn't mention Windows Media Center, or the exact error message.

Obviously "video files" is going to generate some hits. Will they be relevant to my issue? Doubtful.

Last night something weird happened. My audio properties showed the HDMI audio as "not connected", even though it was. I kept unplugging and plugging in the cable, and although I could hear the ding ding noise indicating a connection, and it showed up in device manager, it still showed it was not connected.

I had to wait for my recordings to finish before I could reboot, which fixed it.

Very annoying.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page