AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

I just tried it....but it didnt work frown.gif Not sure what is going on

EDIT- Looking at my log I also get this " Old XML structure detected. Please update to the latest version using the latest schema"
Any idea what that is?

Same here - I actually was already doing this, but can't get it to work.

xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I found the same thing...but when I changed the RGB values for those items, I did not see the results change in WMC. I'm not sure this is the fix we need.
Yeah I tried messing with it without luck either. I am thinking changing those values would work for the normal menu items, if you did not have the colorize option set (which I already do). The colorize settings are changing all the values being used and that is working great in the normal menu. It is just with the custom menu that I need to change. I am sort of thinking this might need to be a change in MTC and isn't something we can change with a resources or inside the XML. Almost like not all the same settings are being applied to the custom menu for some reason...
post #93 of 108 Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I sent Patchou an email. Hopefully he can check this thread out and reply.
post #94 of 108 Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
So looking at your NEW_COLORS.MCML versus the default COLORS.MCML file it looks like the only changes are for the following keywords:
GalleryItemFill
GalleryItemFillFocus
GaleryFolderFill
GaleryFolderFillFocus

are those keyword the ones that control the blue hue?

Those control the colors of the tiles used in the gallery views (photos, videos).

I did not have problems with the main menu tiles, sorry for the confusion, my problem was with the gallery tiles not changing from blue. That was fixed by this.

I never experimented with the first color parameter, I believe if that is left out the MCE default is applied.
Quote:
I am thinking changing those values would work for the normal menu items, if you did not have the colorize option set (which I already do).

I have the colorize option set also so that's not it.

But I just realized your custom menus have more than entry (mine only has one, Media Browser). I added a second entry, just duplicated MB, and the result is

As you can see the inactive menu item has the blue hue. It does pick up the correct "inactive" image though. So my solution did not cover the inactive entries in the custom menu. Sorry for getting your hopes up. frown.gif

But there is bound to be a parameter somewhere that fixes it.

The main Media Center uses the "STARTMENU.QUICKLINK.{itemname}.NOFOCUS.png" images for the inactive menu tiles, they are easily identified in the logged resource directory. They are transparent so that the main background shows through. I don't know if there is an overlay applied to them.

When an item is "active" the image is changed to the corresponding FOCUS version, and the focus frame overlay (have not been able to locate that image) is applied. This part does work for the custom menu.

Looking back at the inactive item tiles in the MCT custom menu which insist on getting the blue hue, clearly Media Center IS applying an overlay to them. I experimented by putting a white nontransparent background on the MB inactive image and as you can see a blue overlay is applied to the entire image. Some transparency is also apparently applied because the main background is faintly visible behind the white background (wich is 100% nontransparent in the png file).

I tried changing all the blue color specs in my NEW_COLORS file but none of them affected this.

So somewhere there is a bluish image which Media Center overlays on the inactive menu tiles, OR a color specification we have to locate and change. I cannot find such an image among the logged resources, and there is no line in the COLORS.MCML file that has any effect on it.

I thought maybe the Colorize feature does not work for the MCT custom menu, so I removed the "Colorize" command and expected the default menu tiles to turn blue as well, but that didn't happen.
post #95 of 108 Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Those control the colors of the tiles used in the gallery views (photos, videos).

I did not have problems with the main menu tiles, sorry for the confusion, my problem was with the gallery tiles not changing from blue. That was fixed by this.

I never experimented with the first color parameter, I believe if that is left out the MCE default is applied.
I have the colorize option set also so that's not it.

But I just realized your custom menus have more than entry (mine only has one, Media Browser). I added a second entry, just duplicated MB, and the result is

As you can see the inactive menu item has the blue hue. It does pick up the correct "inactive" image though. So my solution did not cover the inactive entries in the custom menu. Sorry for getting your hopes up. frown.gif

But there is bound to be a parameter somewhere that fixes it.

The main Media Center uses the "STARTMENU.QUICKLINK.{itemname}.NOFOCUS.png" images for the inactive menu tiles, they are easily identified in the logged resource directory. They are transparent so that the main background shows through. I don't know if there is an overlay applied to them.

When an item is "active" the image is changed to the corresponding FOCUS version, and the focus frame overlay (have not been able to locate that image) is applied. This part does work for the custom menu.

Looking back at the inactive item tiles in the MCT custom menu which insist on getting the blue hue, clearly Media Center IS applying an overlay to them. I experimented by putting a white nontransparent background on the MB inactive image and as you can see a blue overlay is applied to the entire image. Some transparency is also apparently applied because the main background is faintly visible behind the white background (wich is 100% nontransparent in the png file).

I tried changing all the blue color specs in my NEW_COLORS file but none of them affected this.

So somewhere there is a bluish image which Media Center overlays on the inactive menu tiles, OR a color specification we have to locate and change. I cannot find such an image among the logged resources, and there is no line in the COLORS.MCML file that has any effect on it.

I thought maybe the Colorize feature does not work for the MCT custom menu, so I removed the "Colorize" command and expected the default menu tiles to turn blue as well, but that didn't happen.

You very thoroughly wrote out the same thinking and experiments I had done yesterday after playing with the colors.mcml and new_colors.mcml files. I just cannot find either the resource or the color instructions. It's driving me nuts! lol. I know it is totally silly to spend this much time over the blue hue, but when everything else is so cohesive and well coordinated it irks me to have that one thing 'off'.
post #96 of 108 Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

You very thoroughly wrote out the same thinking and experiments I had done yesterday after playing with the colors.mcml and new_colors.mcml files. I just cannot find either the resource or the color instructions. It's driving me nuts! lol. I know it is totally silly to spend this much time over the blue hue, but when everything else is so cohesive and well coordinated it irks me to have that one thing 'off'.

Honestly since it is in the custom menu, I am thinking it isn't in the WMC files and is a bug in the themer menu.

Hopefully Pachou will chime in!
xnappo
post #97 of 108 Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for going through all of that Politby even though yours was working like you want it to. And like GMTP I too have been combing through the resources and logs and can not for the life of me find that blue resources anywhere. Went through many of the tests you did as well without any solution unfortunately. I sort of feel the same way that is may be silly to try this hard to fix something so small, but it pretty much the last thing I need since I was able to get the custom entry points with Media Browser to make everything exactly like I want. I think i just gave up last time because I couldn't figure it out and I went through even more tests this time. It sounds like there were a few of us trying so I am going to have to come to the conclusion that there just isn't a way to do it with the current release of MCT.

Hopefully with the good documentation of troubleshooting by Politby and all of our input Pachou will be able to track this down and get it resolved! If the resetting of the menu items could be fixed that would make this rock solid for me and sounds like others too.
post #98 of 108 Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the devil is in the details and I was pulling my hair out in frustration when I could not get those gallery view tiles to change color. I can't stand half measures either. smile.gif

Took me a long time to find out how to get my theme applied to mediabrowser, especially the fonts...
post #99 of 108 Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Bummer that it looks like this won't get solved frown.gif
post #100 of 108 Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 AM

I have been struggling using mct with getting my start menu the way i want it. I have even downloaded the themes that people have put on there and tried to tweak it to no avail. Basically just wanting to make the movie menu just netflix. When i apply my changes it just reverts to the default menu. I tried mce reset toolbox and was able to tweak it the way I want but would prefer juat using MCT. It looks like my xml strings are correct compared with other examples...Thoughts?
post #101 of 108 Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway View Post

I have been struggling using mct with getting my start menu the way i want it. I have even downloaded the themes that people have put on there and tried to tweak it to no avail. Basically just wanting to make the movie menu just netflix. When i apply my changes it just reverts to the default menu. I tried mce reset toolbox and was able to tweak it the way I want but would prefer juat using MCT. It looks like my xml strings are correct compared with other examples...Thoughts?

After you installed MCT was the standard MCT theme working okay? Have you been able to get any of the themes people have uploaded working without any modifications? Just trying to figure out where to start looking.

Can you upload your xml?
post #102 of 108 Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM

Yeah the standard mct theme was working. Uploaded themes work as they should. I am sure its how I am writing the xml...I have no clue what I am doing therr. I will try to post what I am trying to do. Will take me a day to do that or so. Thanks.
post #103 of 108 Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

Yeah the standard mct theme was working. Uploaded themes work as they should. I am sure its how I am writing the xml...I have no clue what I am doing therr. I will try to post what I am trying to do. Will take me a day to do that or so. Thanks.

Usually just an extra space or a character mismatch from copy/paste

Post your stuff here and we'll take a look. Be sure to use the "code" option (between the spoiler button and numbered list option) or the forum will blank it out
post #104 of 108 Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Reminds me of my college roommate trying to copy someone's Matlab code. He spent hours trying to figure out why his wouldn't work only to find out he had typed a lower case "L" instead of a 1.

post #105 of 108 Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Reminds me of my college roommate trying to copy someone's Matlab code. He spent hours trying to figure out why his wouldn't work only to find out he had typed a lower case "L" instead of a 1.

biggrin.gif Yes, also the quotations forward / backward, and the O vs 0 can get anyone anytime

Reminds me of college as well. Professor required a class of about 30 to (independently) recreate a published Calculus paper in LaTeX rather than a typical word processor. Only downside was that the department only had LaTeX loaded on 2 computers in the lab, and we all tried to complete it within 48 hrs of the due date. Instead of using LaTeX to compose the whole thing while everyone waited, I composed everything in Notepad with some symbology lookups on google. It compiled fine w/o any error checking!!
post #106 of 108 Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I would strongly recommend Notepad++ or other similar source code editor that highlights and shows linked brackets and other syntax issues. You can collapse brackets to make sure it ends where you think it should. I am no programmer or XML coder by any means so Notepad++ can make things a little easier to troubleshoot. It may not find your "L" "1" or "o" "0" mistakes but does make it easier than just Notepad. In my experience missed brackets are more likely to cause MCT to not work at all; with misspellings MCT usually still works but just not look like you expected. Not always but in general.
post #107 of 108 Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
What is the current option for all this in MB classic ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #108 of 108 Old 01-01-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I use MCT to hide the Movies and Pictures strips (and a lot of other tiles) in the 8MC main menu. I have only TV, Media Browser, Music, Activities and Extras.

Unfortunately not possible with MBC to have direct entry into collections from the MC main menu.

There is also MCE Reset Toolbox which does the same stuff Media Center Studio did. It manipulates the eHome dll files directly though which is a bit scary IMO.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page