any new apps available to easily stream video to android tablets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was debating getting a Windows tab but decided to go android due to price and I thought I had read about an app that can stream video from a Windows media center PC. I cant seem to find what I'm looking for. It would be nice to watch all my recorded shows as well as live TV on my android tablet

I'm currently running widows 7 and media center and I have an HD homerun prime for a tuner.

Anything new out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM

I use Avia to browse the DLNA servers on my network, and then use Dice player to play the .wtv files. Works great for recorded TV. I don't know of anything for live TV to an Android from a CableCARD setup, though. DVBLogic's Connect! Server can provide live content to android devices from other tuners, such as the Hauppauge HD PVR, but the dreaded DRM turd rears its ugly head again for CableCARD users.

You have to enable DLNA sharing on your MCE box first. Also, as you are using CableCARD , if your content is copy protected, you won't be able to play anything on your Android.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #3 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM

plex app is really nice. HD homerun might have an app, sling does.

EDIT: DirecTV has a nice look app to stream live and recorded to tablets now (must be on same network).
post #4 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

I use Avia to browse the DLNA servers on my network, and then use Dice player to play the .wtv files. Works great for recorded TV. I don't know of anything for live TV to an Android from a CableCARD setup, though. DVBLogic's Connect! Server can provide live content to android devices from other tuners, such as the Hauppauge HD PVR, but the dreaded DRM turd rears its ugly head again for CableCARD users.

You have to enable DLNA sharing on your MCE box first. Also, as you are using CableCARD , if your content is copy protected, you won't be able to play anything on your Android.

My cable is copy freely except for premium channels so I should be OK there. I will look into your suggestions.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Orb or Remote Potato
post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 View Post

plex app is really nice. HD homerun might have an app, sling does.

I'm not sure about that. I tried Plex and it was a bitter disappointment. Maybe in three years they might have some product, but definitely not now.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Liked: 11
Qloud media server will serve up wtv files to your android device, but interestingly enough it won't do dvrms files.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....vega.ad&hl=en
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusan View Post

I'm not sure about that. I tried Plex and it was a bitter disappointment. Maybe in three years they might have some product, but definitely not now.

Plex is the order of the day here...

I installed plex server last year on CentOS 6 and till today I haven't experienced one failure...

I have the plex client running on my iPad2, apple TV2 and three HTPCs without any issue...

The frontend is just too sweet...

By the way, I configured the plex clients on the HTPCs to launch XBMC so that I have the full glory of PQ + HD audio bitstreaming...
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can plex handle all the Windows video flies from Windows media center? What about MKV files for my movies?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes and yes (provided the WMC files are copy freely). I haven't had great streaming experiences using the iOS iPad client. Stuttering quite frequently. Same movie using Air Video?no stutter. Not even after jumping 10-15 minutes into the movie.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 AM

aVia should handle the basic needs when streaming from your windows media center. It also has a renderer and built in server to stream more movies to or from your android tablet.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked: 13
Plex worked great for me in-network, but I had a hard time getting the remote streaming up and running, even after clearing the way with port forwarding and signing up with myPlex or whatever. I don't know why, but the emit app (lesser known, simpler version of what Plex does) worked nicely when remotely streaming through all firewalls so long as I set up port forwarding correctly. I don't know if emit works with .wtv files, I don't think it does.

Some other options:

If you have a rooted phone, you can install CIFS manager and play movie files on your Windows machine as if they are on your tablet, so long as your serving machine is on the same network or you're vpn'd. Anything that your tablet can open with any app is available as if it were right on your tablet. The advantage of this over something like SAMBA share support in es File Explorer is the compatibility is across the board...your tablet doesn't know the file isn't on its own internal drive.

Believe it or not, the newest version of Splashtop ("THD" or "HD", iirc) works great on tablets equipped with the hardware to run it. It's more a remote desktop app, but it scales and streams 1080i .wtv recordings no problem, on-network or remotely, so long as they are set up to autoplay in WMP as opposed to WMC (Splashtop has a problem with natively full-screen apps such as WMC).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page