will 3/4" of wood obstruck inserting DVDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm concidering conceiling a tower PC inside my home entertainment center and cut a hole for the DVD tray then cover cuts w/ a DVD cover.

will 3/4" of wood obstruck inserting DVDs?

Thanks STB

By stevethebrain at 2012-03-28

By stevethebrain at 2012-03-28

edit initial plan was to lay the tower PC on it's side and have it adjacent to the AVR however I have been adviced that a tower is designed to be vertical and placing it horizontal would put extra wear on the HDD becauce tower HDD are designed to be horizontal, this confusses me because XBoxs have vertically mounted HDD.

option2 for horizontal tower, I'm now thinking obtain a Xbox HDD and use the towers HDD as an external HDD.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

edit initial plan was to lay the tower PC on it's side and have it adjacent to the AVR however I have been adviced that a tower is designed to be vertical and placing it horizontal would put extra wear on the HDD becauce tower HDD are designed to be horizontal, this confusses me because XBoxs have vertically mounted HDD.

If someone here agrees with that or provides any evidence to support that view I'll be surprised -- no, make that stunned -- because I'm pretty certain that it is utter nonsense. There's no such thing as a "tower HDD." They're all the same and they will work perfectly fine in either a vertical or horizontal orientation. While I wouldn't advise it, they'll even work fine upside down. The heads do not rely on gravity to maintain spacing with the platters.

The optical drive will also work fine in either orientation.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Years ago CD disk drives were designed to be horizontal mounted upright but I have not seen with that restriction for at least 10 years. if not 20.
You also need to insure that you have adequate ventilation in the cabinet to remove the heat generated by the system and it's drives.
You also need to insure that you have access to the open button and the manual force open "hole" on the front of the drive.
The reason for the required mounting position was that the early drives did have a good reliable way to insure that the disk media stays in position properly in the tray.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Don't worry about the HDD. Whoever told you that it needs to be oriented in a certain way is full of crap. Getting to your original question about the DVD drive, as long as your opening (in the cabinet) does not contact your drive tray, you should have no problems.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #5 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

While I wouldn't advise it, they'll even work fine upside down.

What's wrong with advising it? I've velcroed many drives to cases upside down to avoid sticking it to the circuit board. Never a problem.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

What's wrong with advising it? I've velcroed many drives to cases upside down to avoid sticking it to the circuit board. Never a problem.

Well, I couldn't think of a good reason to do it, but you provided one. I was thinking of why would one choose to install the drive upside down in a normal mount. (Although actually many many years ago when I simply didn't know which way they were supposed to go I installed one upside down and used it for years that way without a problem without knowing it was upside down.) If the best way to mount it in a particular situation was upside down, I'd certainly do it that way.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have been adviced that a tower is designed to be vertical and placing it horizontal would put extra wear on the HDD becauce tower HDD are designed to be horizontal, this confusses me because XBoxs have vertically mounted HDD.

option2 for horizontal tower, I'm now thinking obtain a Xbox HDD and use the towers HDD as an external HDD.

I call BS!
I have seen numerous Dell Desktops which had vertically mounted hard drives (Dell Dimension 2400 series).
I have had some systems where the hard drives have been hanging on the floor of the case, simply supported by the power and data cables. While I wouldn't suggest it for every situation, they have been running fine for years.
I would suggest you to go ahead and lay it down and not bother about cutting anything out.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You can get a slot fed DVD drive, that way you don't have to cut a hole for the whole tray. Pioneer makes them. They are not $15 that you paid for the Asus, but it won't look like crap just having a slit for the DVD's on the side.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 16 Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

You can get a slot fed DVD drive, that way you don't have to cut a hole for the whole tray. Pioneer makes them. They are not $15 that you paid for the Asus, but it won't look like crap just having a slit for the DVD's on the side.

A good woodworker would use either matching vaneer or a slice of the cutout and put it on the DVD door. Depending on how good the woodworker is, it would never show. The button to operate it could be made to look like a small knot.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I now believe the advice I recieved on the tower HDD must being horizontal prior to this thread was bogus, come to think of it my Western digital world book external HDD is also vertical.

I am now curious where this case draws cooling air in from, I observe no holes on the front of this case however I do observe a mesh like piece on the inside front bottom (where usalley a air fliter would be).

other observations on venting air out is a tube ontop of the CPU, PSU fan

aparently there is a spot for a third fan on the center of back case I don't believe its included.

Thanks Guys for the advice
link to PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=11zngc5ok4ah7

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #11 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

I now believe the advice I recieved on the tower HDD must being horizontal prior to this thread was bogus, come to think of it my Western digital world book external HDD is also vertical.

I am now curious where this case draws cooling air in from, I observe no holes on the front of this case however I do observe a mesh like piece on the inside front bottom (where usalley a air fliter would be).

other observations on venting air out is a tube ontop of the CPU, PSU fan

aparently there is a spot for a third fan on the center of back case I don't believe its included.

Thanks Guys for the advice
link to PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=11zngc5ok4ah7

Usually with a case like what you've linked there will be an opening at the very bottom front edge. You would need to ensure you have some space between the front and the cabinet. However, if you can lay it on the side and maintain proper ventilation then go that route. It'll keep you from having to cut out a slot in the cabinet that may or may not even work.

Another thing, I don't even remember the last time I even opened the DVD drive on my HTPC. I do all my ripping on a laptop and transfer the files from there.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello Bryan yes laying it on it's side would be more advantagous to me, like acessing the SD card reader slot, top USB plugs on/off buttom (incase I need to physicalley power down) ect.

I was planning on using the behind TV cabient space for HDD media storage area.

I haven't had a chance to observe this case in person yet.

?1.do you think the lower inside bottom mesh section contains a air fliter.

?2.I'm assumming this PC only comes w/ a CPU fan and a PSU fan and this case is also used for PCs (hence the extra fan spot) w/ extra modules like TV tuners graphics ect.

I only plan a TV tuner, what do you think about a third fan?

?3.how is inside PC temp. determined, like can I find this in control panel? or is there like a air temp guage?

Thanks STB

post #13 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

A good woodworker would use either matching vaneer or a slice of the cutout and put it on the DVD door. Depending on how good the woodworker is, it would never show. The button to operate it could be made to look like a small knot.

I'm pretty sure that cabinet is veneer (possibly vinyl) Trying to make it look natural would be folly. Disassembling the entire entertainment center to cut it on a scroll saw (necessary to make the cutout fit neatly) would also be a huge job for little benefit.

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #14 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Another option is to get a USB or eSATA drive, and place it where it is easier to access.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #15 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Another option is to get a USB or eSATA drive, and place it where it is easier to access.

This is the best solution yet.

Not only where it is easier to access, but it can be totally hidden and out of the way except for the infrequent times when it's actually being used.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

This is the best solution yet.

Not only where it is easier to access, but it can be totally hidden and out of the way except for the infrequent times when it's actually being used.

The best solution would be to just lay it horizontally and not have to cut a hole or buy an external unit.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page