BluRay, MakeMKV, DTSHD proper way to rip, and codecs needed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So a while back I ran out of room on my WHS and since it had been in operation for many years I figured it was time for a refresh. I rebuilt a new WHS and used WHS 2011. Long story short now that I have the new server and more room I decided to start ripping the remainder of the movies I have left on the shelf to the server. But now I have a nice audio setup and can fully use DTS-HD and Dolby true HD...so I was going to re-rip my Blu-rays.

I started with the star wars Blu-ray set and loaded up make MKV, looked up the proper track info for the forced subtitles, selected the main movie angle 1, and for audio I selected the DTS-HD track and the DTS track (so If I playback on say my PC upstairs I can use AC3 filter and select the second track of audio to be able to hear it). Two hours later I have my MKV.

The HTPC (win7 x64, AMD CPU, 8GB, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, LG Blu-ray) is using a AMD 6950 hooked via HDMI to a Denon AVR 3808CI. I have Arcsoft TMT for blu-ray play back and for mkv playback I have the last available Matroska splitter. I have no other codec installed, not even ffdshow.

When I playback Star Wars (the one I just ripped) from my WHS I get weird audio / video speed ups, sometimes it doesn't happen right away, but I can always make it do it if I skip ahead or back. When playing back the receiver also does not show the HD track is playing, just the DTS. I check the tray icon for Matroska and it shows the HD track is selected.

Most of the other Blu-ray rips I have seem to work fine but they don't have the HD audio. Which as I said I'd like to go back and now re-rip these and have the HD audio.

First... did I rip this right? As I said I used Make MKV, selected just the audio and video I wanted and ripped to a file. Make MKV is pretty straight forward and I didn't mess with any other options. Should I have just ripped the HD track and nothing else?

Or is it just simply a matter of Matroska not working properly and I need another codec installed?

I haven't ripped any blu-rays in years so I'm a bit rusty, and I have about 100 I need to get over to my server

I've read through about a thousand and one posts relating to blu-ray ripping but nothing specifically addresses what I am trying to do and shows up with the same playback issues. I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible but need to use mkv so I do not have to buy a copy of TMT for every damned machine I have to playback and ISO..and I'd rather not have my kids getting in to the closet to pull discs out that they will surely scratch up... hence the whole purpose of having the media server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What software are you using to playback the mkv's? TMT? Sorry it wasn't very clear to me.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

sorry should have specified, my fault

I am using My Movies in Windows Media Center for playback of my library. I Believe it is just using the Windows Media components, not relying on Arcsoft TMT (besides I don't have the points in MyMovies for external players).
post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You probably want to look at this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

was trying to avoid codec packs, I have had a lot of problems in the past that ran me in circles until I finally uninstalled all codec packs and just ran the matroska splitter.

I can try to install Sharks codec pack to test...
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

was trying to avoid codec packs, I have had a lot of problems in the past that ran me in circles until I finally uninstalled all codec packs and just ran the matroska splitter.

I can try to install Sharks codec pack to test...

I don't think you can expect to get MKVs playing properly without installing any codec packs. Honestly, its one of the reasons I prefer XBMC/Plex over WMC. Obviously, there are still some reasons to use WMC. Alternatively you can use an external player such as MPC-HC. Media Browser can launch external players, and it's free.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So to ask the question... I'm trying to make the rips compatible across PCs that don't have a AVR capable of DTS-HD / TrueHD, and the ones that do have an AVR with as little intervention from the end user as possible (so say my kids want to watch a movie in their room, or my fiance just wants to watch a movie and listen through the TV speakers since she couldn't operate the AVR anyway).

With MKV if I rip both the DTS-HD and DTS tracks, it will default to DTS-HD and I'd be fine on my AVR setup... but my kids and fiance would be screwed because they wouldn't know to go to the tray and right click on the matroska icon and select the second audio track.

My kids PCs would have AC3 filter then decode the DTS or Dolby tracks to 2.1

But the HTPC that is hooked to the AVR doesn't have AC3 filter... but the fiance doesn't want to listen though the AVR... just the TV

If I rip to folder structure then they can go in to the menu there and select the track or does it default to DTS if it doesn't detect a DTS-HD capable setup?

Trying to experiment with a couple different options now but it takes forever to rip a movie one way to test, then rip it another way to test...so on and so forth.

Easiest solution would be to get rid of the fiance then I wouldn't have to worry about her being able to use it all lmao, the kids though would be a little harder to get rid of....
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 116
You don't need a separate DTS-HD track. Any sane DTS decoder can decode the "Core" DTS from the DTS-HD track, and will just ignore the HD parts.
That should simplify your setup a bit.

Note however that AC3Filter is not a "sane" DTS decoder, and it'll screw up when it sees the HD parts. Both ffdshow or my own LAV Audio decoder can properly process DTS-HD and just ignore the HD parts, though.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

that helps a lot see there is too much outdated and conflicting information out there which leads to more confusion and numerous posts like this one, I've read too many threads on there isn't anything out there to decode DTS-HD or TrueHD, then others say you cant unless you have Arcsoft TMT and can steal some files from it (which I do own, I ended up buying it a while back).

Once I can get a few rips (same movie but one mkv, one folder rip) to play with and test on different setups it will help me a bit more to see what I need minimally. as I said I try to avoid codec packs like the plague, but Matroska, ffdshow should hopefully be enough to do what I need.

Can you go back and load up a MKV you have made and modify it easily? For example star wars I ripped with both the DTS and DTS-HD tracks (in make MKV I just left those two checked), I want to remove the DTS track and leave the DTS-HD if it already has the core in it to prevent any issues or confusion.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 116
TrueHD can be decoded without issues or any extra obstacles. Many decoders support it by now, including MPC-HCs decoders, ffdshow and LAV Audio.

DTS-HD can be decoded as well, by default however you'll only get the "Core" DTS. This works for MPC-HCs decoders or ffdshow (and LAV).
With LAV however you can also take that ArcSoft TMT file (specifically, dtsdecoderdll.dll), and put it into the same folder as LAV Audio, and it'll not be limited to the "Core" DTS anymore, but decode the full DTS-HD.

Regarding MKV files, you can delete tracks of course, but it'll have to remux the whole file, so it'll take a couple of minutes to process.
"mmg" from the MKVToolNix Package is the tool for the job.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not much but it's all I had left in my paypal account! I donated it gladly as you sir helped me out tremendously! Wish I had more to give, but a divorced dad with two teenagers doesn't have much, and trust me payday may be Friday but it seems like it is weeks away.

My issue on the HTPC side going to the receiver was the MKVs were not bit streaming through HDMI, so every time I would play a MKV with DTS-HD it would play the core audio and tend to speed up randomly, then play fine for a bit, then speed up again. Once I installed LAV and set it up to bit stream the DTS-HD viola, it worked as it should and DTS-HD showed up on my receiver. I tried FFDshow but couldnt see where to bit stream and there were too many options in there to the point of confusion. Your little program was straight forward and let me click exactly what I wanted to do!

I do have a huge suggestion though, one that I am sure many, many users would love to see especially with a setup like mine... Is there any way to create a Media Center page that has the same settings as your program so that I can set it to regular use say when I am using the HDTV and not the AVR, then the fiance and kids can play everything as normal, then when I get home via remote I can change it to bitstream through the HDMI of my receiver? It could reside in the extras section of media center.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page