Im stuck in the codec quagmire... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im trying to configure WMC to play all of the movie files I have. I have a mixture of file types. MKV, MPEG4, AVI, DIVX etc.... This is a new HTPC I just put together. Ive been using Assassin's guides but I seem to be stuck in a loop. Im running Win7 x64 using WMC and Media Browser for movies. I also have the Ceton InfiniTV 4 for TV.

I started out as the guide suggests using LAV splitter for codecs. I soon realized some of the files did not play (said they were not supported), mainly the MPEG4 (H.264) and XVID AVI's.

I uninstalled and tried the Shark pack (using Assassin's guide). More worked this time, but still not MP4.... I disabled windows codecs in the swap menu and BAM! all my files worked! Sweet! I was done... until I went to watch live TV.. error! playback device not supported. Damn.

So, it seems to be a delicate balancing act that I cant seem to figure out. The more I try to play around with settings (that I have no idea what they do) the worse it gets. Is there anyway to get everything working?

Also, I am only connected to my tv via HDMI, so im not concerned with audio. I will tackle that when I get a new receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
If you are using extenders then Shark007 gives you more flexibility. I would try to uninstall everything and re-install Shark007.

Since you are not using an AVR receiver make sure you are NOT trying to bitstream anything other than Dolby Digital (assuming your HDTV can accept it)
post #3 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Im not using any extenders. It seems as though I need a windows codec for live tv, but I need to disable them for everything else...
post #4 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

Im not using any extenders. It seems as though I need a windows codec for live tv, but I need to disable them for everything else...

On 64bit systems, there is no working solution for LiveTV other than using the Microsoft decoder.
You will have to toggle this setting as your needs change.

32bit systems have the advantage here because they do have an alternate solution for LiveTV when choosing to disable the Microsoft decoder.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #5 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thats a big let down. You mean if Im watching TV and want to start watching a movie, I have to exit out to the codec settings and disable win codecs.... Is this what everyone else does?

Is this problem not present with the 32bit win7?

What will I sacrifice if I switch to 32bit?
post #6 of 33 Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Wow, thats a big let down. You mean if Im watching TV and want to start watching a movie, I have to exit out to the codec settings and disable win codecs.... Is this what everyone else does?

Is this problem not present with the 32bit win7?

What will I sacrifice if I switch to 32bit?

Nothing...

So long as the machine is only an HTPC...
post #7 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

Nothing...

So long as the machine is only an HTPC...

Well, there is the 4gb of RAM issue. 32 bit cannot make use of more than 4gb of memory, which includes your video adapter memory. For HTPC use, it's not really an issue, but just something to keep in mind.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #8 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Well, there is the 4gb of RAM issue. 32 bit cannot make use of more than 4gb of memory, which includes your video adapter memory. For HTPC use, it's not really an issue, but just something to keep in mind.

That was my only concern with the 32 bit version. The use of memory and how it may effect performance. Especially if I add an extender to the mix down the road.
post #9 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM

I had similar issues as yourself and solved them by uninstalling any and all codecs and media players. I then installed the full version of the k-lite codec pack

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

When configuring the codecs, I selected ffdshow for audio and video as and LAV as my media splitter. I am running a 64bit OS and 32 bit codecs without issue.
post #10 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatine View Post

I had similar issues as yourself and solved them by uninstalling any and all codecs and media players. I then installed the full version of the k-lite codec pack

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

When configuring the codecs, I selected ffdshow for audio and video as and LAV as my media splitter. I am running a 64bit OS and 32 bit codecs without issue.

Thanks for the advice! Are you also watching TV in WMC with a cable card tuner? That seems to be my issue, liveTV.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
K.I.S.S

If I HAD to watch an MKV, I used VLC Player, get out of my seat and just deal with it.

Since installing XBMC however, MKV's work fine (Gundman Wing), I even set it to play only the English Audio, which is a problem I was having with watching back to back episodes because it would either switch to no audio at all or to the default in this case the Japanese audio.

Besides, all my TV Shows and Movies that aren't recorded by WMC are on the server now, so why would I want to complicate my setup even more with codecs?

I went down the codec road and my problems with that Gundam Wing set we never completely solved, even following the directions by Assassin or the suggestions by the Shark007 developer that post on here.

As I said I avoid MKV for the most part, but the ones I do have play fine now.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #12 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Im not just looking for MKV support only. Im looking for support accross the board. I was hoping for an all in one solution. I have videos of all different file types that I have collected over the past few years, and Im not the only one who wants to watch them, so it needs to be easy. (wife and kids). I suppose I could just convert them all, but Id rather not.
post #13 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 19
WMC+Shark properly configured+Virtual Clone Drive+Mikinho Mount Image=play everything within WMC including ts and iso files.
post #14 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Im not just looking for MKV support only. Im looking for support accross the board. I was hoping for an all in one solution. I have videos of all different file types that I have collected over the past few years, and Im not the only one who wants to watch them, so it needs to be easy. (wife and kids). I suppose I could just convert them all, but Id rather not.

Shark007 can do this. Lav can do it as well with the exception of some poorly contained avi/divx formats.
post #15 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Shark007 can do this. Lav can do it as well with the exception of some poorly contained avi/divx formats.

Apparently they cannot do it while also keeping the ability to watch liveTV. That is my entire issue. I can have one or the other, not both.
post #16 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Apparently they cannot do it while also keeping the ability to watch liveTV. That is my entire issue. I can have one or the other, not both.

Many people on avs do this everyday without issue.
post #17 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

He has MP4 files that require the Microsoft Video decoder to be disabled to play them.
On 64bit systems, this decoder is a must have for LiveTV use.

An alternate solution is to use Metafox (it can be downloaded from my Tools page) to take the untouched contents of those MP4 files and stuff them into an MKV.
Metafox can process a single file or an entire folder.
Just drag n drop a file of folder to the shortcut the installer places on your desktop.

post #18 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Many people on avs do this everyday without issue.

Yes, they do. But not with 64 bit win7. I could just go to 32 bit, but than I would have to redo what ive done for the past week or so.
post #19 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are those that use this combination. Worse case scenario is you have to convert your avi or mp4 files to mkv.
post #20 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

He has MP4 files that require the Microsoft Video decoder to be disabled to play them.
On 64bit systems, this decoder is a must have for LiveTV use.

An alternate solution is to use Metafox (it can be downloaded from my Tools page) to take the untouched contents of those MP4 files and stuff them into an MKV.
Metafox can process a single file or an entire folder.
Just drag n drop a file of folder to the shortcut the installer places on your desktop.

I am 99% sure I have played mp4 with lav splitter, x64 and microsoft video decoder set as the highest merit.
post #21 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am 99% sure I have played mp4 with lav splitter, x64 and microsoft video decoder set as the highest merit.

that is dependant on the content of the MP4.
My software does default to using LAV to split MP4 files.

read on . . .

Quote:

I started out as the guide suggests using LAV splitter for codecs. I soon realized some of the files did not play (said they were not supported), mainly the MPEG4 (H.264) and XVID AVI's.

I uninstalled and tried the Shark pack (using Assassin's guide). More worked this time, but still not MP4.... I disabled windows codecs in the swap menu and BAM! all my files worked! Sweet! I was done... until I went to watch live TV.. error! playback device not supported. Damn.

your solution is to make those MP4's into MKV's .. this is extremely simple using Metafox - drag n drop - done.

post #22 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

that is dependant on the content of the MP4.
My software does default to using LAV to split MP4 files.

read on . . .

your solution is to make those MP4's into MKV's .. this is extremely simple using Metafox - drag n drop - done.

OP- Are these files you are trying to play ones that you created or ones that were "obtained"? In my experience "obtained" files are most often the ones that won't play likely because they were muxed sloppily or incorrectly. If you reinsert them into a container correctly using something like handbrake they almost always play.
post #23 of 33 Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I dont have any trouble playing the files when the proper codecs are installed. When I installed the shark codec pack and disabled the windows codecs, every single file played perfectly. The only problem was that with this configuration, live TV viewed through WMC would not play.

What I have learned is that you cant have both while using the 64 bit version of win 7. I realize this now.

I have been running into other unrelated issues with using the 64 bit version as well. Apparently, at least for my needs, it was a mistake to use the 64 bit version.

I was led to believe that the 64 bit version was the way to go. Most of the guides seem to steer readers in that direction. Hopefully, people will use it first before they pay for it. Luckily, I havent activated my version yet. Its just a pain in the arse to have to do a clean install to switch to the 32 bit.

Thanks for all the help!
post #24 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am pretty sure there are people using x64 and live tv just fine. Hopefully they will chime in.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

live TV viewed through WMC would not play.

And this is why I uninstalled Shark codec back and just did what I posted previously. I watch vastly more Live TV than I do movies or TV Shows on DVD.

Having a properly functional Live TV is top priority....

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #26 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was led to believe that the 64 bit version was the way to go. Most of the guides seem to steer readers in that direction. Hopefully, people will use it first before they pay for it. Luckily, I havent activated my version yet. Its just a pain in the arse to have to do a clean install to switch to the 32 bit.

FWIW the vast majority use x64. More specifically about 70%.
post #27 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FWIW the vast majority use x64. More specifically about 70%.

I cant argue with those results! But really, the main reason Im going to try the 32 bit version is due to my audio problem ( I posted a different thread about that). I want to output HDMI and optical out simultaneously. I can not do that with the 64 bit version. So for that reason..... Im out.
post #28 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
i just loaded the newest version of shark codecs this week.

on the x64 settings I set to use shark suggested settings, then on the audio tab I changed it to bitstream. this plays live tv, wtv/mpg files of remuxed dvds, and mkv files with h264 or vc1. i had a small problem with avi files that I created years ago from my dvds. mostly i've redone them as .wtv files (or replaced with bluray)

I had not updated it in probably a year and have never used the lav splitter. since that seems like where my avi problems came from I disabled it and went with ffdshow for audio, which I am more familiar with.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #29 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I want to output HDMI and optical out simultaneously. I can not do that with the 64 bit version. So for that reason..... Im out.

I am not aware that the 32 bit can do this. I think this is a limitation of Windows in general.
post #30 of 33 Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am not aware that the 32 bit can do this. I think this is a limitation of Windows in general.

The more I research this, the more mixed info I seem to get. The official word from microsoft is that win7 (32 and 64 bit) does not support this. There are some peope that have posted some work arounds to getting it to work. I am going to try some of them and see what happens.

I really am loving my new HTPC, and all I can do with it. The audio issue however, is a real let down. Every other cable box, tivo, ps3 i have had has been able to do it. I just want to be able to watch tv with the sound from the tv speakers, and also switch over to playing music through my receiver.

I did read that xp can do this. Not sure why MS dropped it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page