Toggle between tuners in infiniTV? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Toggle between tuners in infiniTV?
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 09:51 PM 03-30-2012
Im still learning the ins and outs of watching TV through my HTPC with the Ceton infiniTV 4 tuner. (so far I love it!) Is there a way to easily switch or toggle between all 4 tuners? Even if i am not recording anything, the other 3 tuners should be tuned to other channels as well, right? I remember years ago having a direcTV Tivo box with 2 tuners and you could flip between them if you wanted to.

Also, does the live tv buffer keep data from all 4 tuners, or just the one your watching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

blueiedgod's Avatar blueiedgod 08:50 AM 04-02-2012
It has been answered before, and the asnwer is "no" unless you hit "record"
pittsoccer33's Avatar pittsoccer33 08:58 AM 04-02-2012
I think it has been speculated that Tivo has a patent on that capability.
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 10:15 AM 04-02-2012
That's the dual or quad buffer feature on Tivo's.
slowbiscuit 10:26 AM 04-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I think it has been speculated that Tivo has a patent on that capability.

I doubt that's it, the Moto 34xx/64xx junk that Comcast rents can do it with a remote button press. It is odd that you can't do it in WMC.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 10:46 AM 04-02-2012
I know with the old tivo, it would buffer both tuners. You could jump back and fourth and still rewind, pause etc.. That was pretty cool.

Does the infiniTV only buffer the tuner your watching? Or is it constantly buffering all 4?
pittsoccer33's Avatar pittsoccer33 10:53 AM 04-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

I know with the old tivo, it would buffer both tuners. You could jump back and fourth and still rewind, pause etc.. That was pretty cool.

Does the infiniTV only buffer the tuner your watching? Or is it constantly buffering all 4?

only what you watch, unless you are actually recording several channels
packetlosss's Avatar packetlosss 12:35 PM 04-02-2012
It's kind of a double edge sword. If WMC were to allow buffering of all tuners, then you would end up putting a lot of extra wear and tear on your HD, generate excesss heat, etc. etc.

As noted the easy workaround is just hit record and bounce around and pause as you wish.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 01:12 PM 04-02-2012
Yeah, I guess it really isnt a big deal. I was just curious. No real need for it I suppose.
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 03:24 PM 04-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I doubt that's it, the Moto 34xx/64xx junk that Comcast rents can do it with a remote button press. It is odd that you can't do it in WMC.

DirecTV's DVRs can do it too by hitting down on the remote (twice activates it then once toggles between tuners). Not sure how it works on their new five tuner DVRs.
robn1's Avatar robn1 07:37 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

It has been answered before, and the asnwer is "no" unless you hit "record"

And once you hit record, the buffered portion is lost. Your recording will start at the point you hit record
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 09:59 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetlosss View Post

It's kind of a double edge sword. If WMC were to allow buffering of all tuners, then you would end up putting a lot of extra wear and tear on your HD, generate excesss heat, etc. etc.

The Tivo Elite buffers all 4 tuners constantly. The HD still works just fine.
whiteboy714's Avatar whiteboy714 10:49 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robn1 View Post

And once you hit record, the buffered portion is lost. Your recording will start at the point you hit record

Yah I feel this is a big thing missing from wmc. The ability to go back and forth would be great. Recording them works but not at all liked dual buffering. I don't want buffering on all tuners. Just two. Oh well.
packetlosss's Avatar packetlosss 07:53 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The Tivo Elite buffers all 4 tuners constantly. The HD still works just fine.

Give it some time. I had a moxi and it buffered 3 tuners all the time and the HD's only last 15 months.
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 08:04 PM 04-05-2012
Tivo has been on the market for over a decade. They have more info on the reliability than you do.

Moxi was on the market for 2 years and called it quits.
packetlosss's Avatar packetlosss 07:46 PM 04-06-2012
Quote:

Tivo has been on the market for over a decade. They have more info on the reliability than you do.

Moxi was on the market for 2 years and called it quits.

Oh please. If you really think that has anything to do with why writing to a hard drive 24/7 is not a good thing then you don't understand hard drives. All hard drives have a limited life. It's not a matter of IF it's going to fail, it's a matter of when. If you put it in something that is writing to it 24/7 you are dramatically reducing it's life. Doesn't matter if it's a Tivo, Moxi, server, PC or whatever. I had drives fail in all of my Tivo's too.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 07:51 PM 04-06-2012
Quote:

Oh please. If you really think that has anything to do with why writing to a hard drive 24/7 is not a good thing then you don't understand hard drives. All hard drives have a limited life. It's not a matter of IF it's going to fail, it's a matter of when. If you put it in something that is writing to it 24/7 you are dramatically reducing it's life. Doesn't matter if it's a Tivo, Moxi, server, PC or whatever. I had drives fail in all of my Tivo's too.

I have been leaving my htpc on in live tv mode 24/7... (we just turn the tv off) what should I expect for a lifespan on the 2TB seagate barracuda??
almostinsane's Avatar almostinsane 08:16 PM 04-06-2012
Quote:

Yes, all hard drives fail. All hard drives do not fail after 2 years writing 24x7. They all have a MTTF. If they all failed in less than 2 years then everything with a hard drive would be a bucket of fail.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 08:58 PM 04-06-2012
I hit the stop button when I am done watching TV. No recording at all then.

If you want to fast switch between your current channel and the previous channel you were on, you can hit the Enter key on the MS Windows Remote (down under the number pad, on the lower right hand side, by the clear key). No buffering, though.
packetlosss's Avatar packetlosss 09:12 AM 04-07-2012
Quote:

I have been leaving my htpc on in live tv mode 24/7... (we just turn the tv off) what should I expect for a lifespan on the 2TB seagate barracuda??

In an HTPC I would expect it to last a reasonably long time as it's not abusing the drive (5+ years), barring any outlier defects (some drives just fail prematurely).
packetlosss's Avatar packetlosss 09:20 AM 04-07-2012
Quote:

Yes, all hard drives fail. All hard drives do not fail after 2 years writing 24x7. They all have a MTTF. If they all failed in less than 2 years then everything with a hard drive would be a bucket of fail.

Every drive I had in (2 Tivo Series 1's, 1 Tivo Series 2, 1 Moxi) died within 2 years. These were all quality drives and fortunately all had been covered under warranty. Still it's a hassle and I'd rather not have 24/7 buffering/suggestions going on and not have to deal with replacing drives.

As far as exactly how long they last it's a guessing game but no, not everything with a hard drive will fail in 2 years. In a Tivo or Moxi with constant buffering/suggestions going on you are guaranteed to have a drive failure well below the average life span of a drive. Depending on how full the drive is, it ends up constantly writing to the same sectors over and over. This eventually leads to lots of bad sectors that require reboot scans and removal of bad blocks. Eventually it leads to complete drive failure.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 10:41 AM 04-07-2012
How often should you defrag a 2tb storage drive?
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 11:59 AM 04-07-2012
Quote:

How often should you defrag a 2tb storage drive?

I would only do it once a month.
Up
Mobile  Desktop