is my memory usage high? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My HTPC has a constant Memory usage of 50% or More. (4GB) Most of it comes from media center, media browser, and running tasks in the backroung like Remote potato, dropbox, IMON remote, Firefox, Explorer, and more. I could limit the amount of programs running but I need most of them at any given time...

My major question is, is there anything concerning about being over 50% constantly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
As long as you don't start paging (using more virtual memory than you have physical memory), you should be fine.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

how would i know if this is taking place?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
What metric are you using to decide that a lot of memory is being used? The free memory counter being low and Cached/Available being high is expected.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

just going off of task managers memory usage. i had a desktop widget for a while that showed me CPU usage and mem usage and scrapped it. I just never remember it being that high.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

how would i know if this is taking place?

Using the Task Manager - but actually its pretty obvious when "swapping" starts happening, your machine will slow to a crawl and the hard disk activity light will be flashing on and on. Swapping happens when you have more programs competing for system memory than you have available, so the OS has to keep copying application and data between physical memory and hard disk (the paging file).
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Hopefully you get close to over 90% memory utilization with most of it allocated to replaceable functions such as disk cache or virtual memory and not to currently executing processes.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Liked: 17
I think your mem usage sounds acceptable. One thing, make sure mediabrowser is up to date. The most recent patch fixed some memory leaks associated with the service component. The leaking wasn't terrible but if you go extended periods of time without rebooting (like me!) it will add up.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwheezy75 View Post

My HTPC has a constant Memory usage of 50% or More. (4GB) Most of it comes from media center, media browser, and running tasks in the backroung like Remote potato, dropbox, IMON remote, Firefox, Explorer, and more. I could limit the amount of programs running but I need most of them at any given time...

My major question is, is there anything concerning about being over 50% constantly?

No-but you will want to look at your hard drive activity which will likely be your bottleneck. If your filesystem become fragmented or you have too much IO and the system crawls to a snails pace then you will see substantial degradation in performance of AV content playback/recording.

Antivirus programs are notorious for being resource hogs and hook the filesystem and networking protocols so that they can inspect every bit coming/going on the machine and scan/quarantine it if necessary.

Most things are IO bound nowadays, not memory/CPU limited.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 32
Lightweight AV, use Microsoft's Security Essentials. Also to let you know when programs are out of date and needing updating, use Secunia's PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ As for the memory use, keep in mind, that Windows reserves a certain amount of RAM to keep in reserve. I am in no way related to the program writer of Meminfo, but I have copied and pasted what majorgeeks states about the program. There are some others over on the site, but I just picked this one as the first one that I found.

Meminfo display the current memory (RAM or Page File) usage of Windows in the system tray.

With a small gauge graphic and the value updated in real time, MemInfo gives a fast feedback to current memory usage in Windows.

MemInfo is highly customizable; Choose when MemInfo should warn you about high memory usage, show physical memory or Windows page file, show free or used memory, choose the font that looks better. MemInfo cames with a built in memory defragmenter to allow speed up your computer by maximizing the available free memory.http://majorgeeks.com/MemInfo_d5308.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page