No audio from live tv this morning again! Wifes not happy! - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > No audio from live tv this morning again! Wifes not happy!
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 05:08 AM 04-05-2012
So everything seemed to be working great, or so I thought...

Third day in a row, no sound from live TV in the morning, or when kids get home from school. (of course its when Im not there!)

I always leave the HTPC on, just turn the tv off at night. I turned off all of the sleep functions I can find in windows. My wife gets up in the morning and turns the tv on. Live tv is playing but there is no sound. You can hear all of the pc sounds from WMC but no audio from love tv. You have to restart WMC for it to work. (not a big deal to me but takes major points away from the WAF).

This just started a few days ago, not sure why. I am running wn7 64bit, ceton infiniTv 4 tuner. Connected via HDMI directly to my tv. No sound card, just the onboard realtek audio from my asus mobo.

It must be some sort of sleep function that im missing. I can not duplicate the problem by just turning off the tv for a few mins. It has to sit for several hours.

doozer12's Avatar doozer12 05:29 AM 04-05-2012
Okay. I forgot all about the BIOS. I'll have to check that when I get home sorry for the premature post. Well,I guess it happens to the best of us!
kemist1117's Avatar kemist1117 08:51 AM 04-05-2012
probably a hdcp issue from turning the tv off but leaving the comp on
Boke01's Avatar Boke01 09:12 AM 04-05-2012
If all else fails (and it probably will).
You can try cutting a small sliver of tape and slide it in your HDMI cable covering pin 19.
Pin 19 is the hot plug detect pin.
With it covered, your HTPC will never know your TV has been turned off.

I am ready to just replace my AMD 6570 video card with an NVidia one. I have not had any issue like this with my 560ti in my primary PC running to the same receiver and tv.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 10:24 AM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boke01 View Post

If all else fails (and it probably will).
You can try cutting a small sliver of tape and slide it in your HDMI cable covering pin 19.
Pin 19 is the hot plug detect pin.
With it covered, your HTPC will never know your TV has been turned off.

I am ready to just replace my AMD 6570 video card with an NVidia one. I have not had any issue like this with my 560ti in my primary PC running to the same receiver and tv.

Im no expert, but wouldnt covering up that pin make it so the pc wouldnt see the tv turn on? Cant that disable the output?
StardogChampion's Avatar StardogChampion 10:40 AM 04-05-2012
I have the same issue -- turn off the TV and no more sound from WMC until you restart WMC. With our thought it happens right away -- no need to wait. This is only on the system with a HD5670. It sucks. On my G620 system if I turn off the TV while LiveTV is playing, turning the TV back on causes WMC to hang and crash. That sucks too.

Stoopid.
Boke01's Avatar Boke01 10:45 AM 04-05-2012
Quote:

Im no expert, but wouldnt covering up that pin make it so the pc wouldnt see the tv turn on? Cant that disable the output?

It will if you don't have the TV on when you first boot your PC. After that you can turn the TV on and off just fine.

It is defiantly not an ideal cure for the problem though.

I really wish AMD or Realtek would fix this.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 10:50 AM 04-05-2012
In using the on board intel hd3000. I would assume alot of people are using this too.. If this is typical, how are people dealing with it?

If it has to do with the signal from the tv on the hot wire, shouldnt it do it instantly?
tgrinch's Avatar tgrinch 10:52 AM 04-05-2012
If you're concerned about the WAF and kids using the system, I highly, highly recommend you let them use extenders vs. the main HTPC. All these issues (well, outside of core WMC issues) will go away.
Boke01's Avatar Boke01 11:01 AM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by doozer12 View Post

In using the on board intel hd3000. I would assume alot of people are using this too.. If this is typical, how are people dealing with it?

If it has to do with the signal from the tv on the hot wire, shouldnt it do it instantly?

Didn't realize intel had this problem too. I assumed you had AMD.

Total guess here... but maybe your "hot wire" doesn't go dead instantly when you turn off your TV.

A HDMI detective will easily fix your problem. I'm not willing to spend the money for one.
lockdown571's Avatar lockdown571 11:12 AM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

If you're concerned about the WAF and kids using the system, I highly, highly recommend you let them use extenders vs. the main HTPC. All these issues (well, outside of core WMC issues) will go away.

If you leave your HTPC on all the time anyway and you mostly just use WMC for TV and DVR, then I second this. As long as the computer stays on, there isn't much that can go wrong.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 11:31 AM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

probably a hdcp issue from turning the tv off but leaving the comp on

I get that occasionally but not too often. A reboot usually cures it.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 05:29 PM 04-05-2012
Well, an extender is not really an option. Im not going to buy one (or build one) just for one tv. My bios doesnt have any sleep/power options at all. So it must be the signal loss from the tv. I think im just going to get the hdmi detective. Its expensive, but I need to fix this ( dealing with it is not an option). Its easier and cheaper than buying and setting up an extender.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 05:49 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you leave your HTPC on all the time anyway and you mostly just use WMC for TV and DVR, then I second this. As long as the computer stays on, there isn't much that can go wrong.

You don't have to. Xbox 360 can send magic packets to wake up the PC. Other extenders (linksys and Dlink) can't.
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 10:47 AM 04-07-2012
Just an update... I updated my bios and re installed the drivers for both hd3000 and realtek audio. So far its been 2 days and its working fine. No more lost audio...

I guess I wont need the HDMI detective after all.
AVTechMan's Avatar AVTechMan 04:43 PM 04-07-2012
I've had that issue with my setup as well since my HTPC is on 24/7. Usually it happens if I turn off the TV with WMC live TV still going. Then it ends up crashed when I turn the TV back on to where I have to restart WMC. Possibly an HDCP issue which was lost when the TV was shut off.

Now I just close out of WMC when I turn off the TV set. No problems with that approach, and I don't have to worry about rebooting the system (I have the GTS 450 card).
Up
Mobile  Desktop