Help! pc not outputting 5.1 but I CAN hear all speakers durning configuration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got done setting up my new toys and I am trying to get the 5.1 to work properly. I have my laptop connected to my hdtv wirelessly through a belkin screencast widi adapter. Screencast connected to denon avr 1612 via hdmi and then denon connected to tv via hdmi. I can get sound no problem but only from the front two speakers. When I go into sound on the computer I see it picks up the widi speakers by default and when I click confiugre it sees that it is 5.1 and I can click on each individual speaker to hear a tone. All the speakers work no problem. But when I try to play and 5.1 clips off youtube or anything all I get is 2 speakers. I connected the laptop directly to reciever through hdmi and it was the same deal. Denon is reading multi ch in. It seems like I should be able to change that but I cant. Any ideas? All this stuff is new to me for the most part. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas? Now I cant even get my laptop speakers to work anymore. Sometimes I hate computers. Says conexent smart audio in sounds and that is it. When I click configure it says the device is being used already and I have to close it, but nothing that I can see is using it.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i didn't think there was such thing as 5.1 for youtube.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I didnt either but judging from how many 5.1 sound tests are on there Im guessing they do. Either way, when I try netflix that I know does 5.1 Im still not getting anything but the front two. Not even the sub. Again when I configure I can get a tone from every speaker in the setup thats was so frustrating.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Liked: 18
Since when does Netflix do 5.1?

Try a DVD.

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi thinde,

Have you been able to get 5.1 sound out of another source such as a DVD played through the pc? Just because you have 5 speakers doesn't mean they'll be used by every source. The "multi ch in" means that the source is sending multiple sound channels to your Denon. So that could mean that your getting 2 channels with sound and 3 without. Nothing is wrong in that case, just means the source doesn't have surround sound.

I'm confused too.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have no idea how you have it connected but typically when you want to pass DD or DTS 5.1 audio you MUST configure the SPEAKERS to 2-ch stereo. Doing so will pass the digital stream (when you select SPDIF or PASS THROUGH) from your player. Realize you are not using any speakers connected to your analog jacks on the computer, instead wanting to passthrough the streaming digital source over to your AVR for decoding.

Configuring as STEREO has been proven on this thread...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page