Slot load ODD question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
For those with HTPC cases that take a slot load ODD...

When you install the drive in the chassis, do you use the faceplate? Is it ok to use a ODD that does not have a faceplate? Does it matter?

This came up in another thread so I am curious myself. ODDs without faceplates tend to be cheaper so if it's not necessary that would be nice. My guess was that the case is the "face"plate so it would not be needed.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, you don't need the faceplate.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

For those with HTPC cases that take a slot load ODD...

When you install the drive in the chassis, do you use the faceplate? Is it ok to use a ODD that does not have a faceplate? Does it matter?

This came up in another thread so I am curious myself. ODDs without faceplates tend to be cheaper so if it's not necessary that would be nice. My guess was that the case is the "face"plate so it would not be needed.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I responded to the first original thread before I saw this. I use a Wesena e5 case and I think the the slit foam insert on the faceplate is important to align and protect the disk on insertion. I suppose you could rig something similar with some weather strip foam or something on the case slot itself. I ended up buying a Silverstone dvd drive with the eject on the left. It amazes me that almost all the higher end cases coming out of China still put the eject on the left since those drives are increasingly harder to find and the industry has moved to eject on the middle right.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The HDPlex H3 case that I just got has an USB+SW eject button that doesn't use button on the drive. So any slot drive will work. It does take up an internal USB port.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

Sorry, I responded to the first original thread before I saw this. I use a Wesena e5 case and I think the the slit foam insert on the faceplate is important to align and protect the disk on insertion. I suppose you could rig something similar with some weather strip foam or something on the case slot itself. I ended up buying a Silverstone dvd drive with the eject on the left. It amazes me that almost all the higher end cases coming out of China still put the eject on the left since those drives are increasingly harder to find and the industry has moved to eject on the middle right.

What model SilverStone did you get?

I have found a few DVD burners, BD ROMs and even a couple of BD burners with left ejects. I guess over in Asia there are tons of ODDs with left ejects still so maybe that's why they haven't moved on?

post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

What model SilverStone did you get?

I have found a few DVD burners, BD ROMs and even a couple of BD burners with left ejects. I guess over in Asia there are tons of ODDs with left ejects still so maybe that's why they haven't moved on?

It's the SOD01 which is also the Panasonic UJ-875. I got the white face plate. It makes a good target on the black case.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

It's the SOD01 which is also the Panasonic UJ-875. I got the white face plate. It makes a good target on the black case.

One other thing I should mention and I've seen this before with regular 5.25 inch CD drives. They're sensitive to racking the case if you torque the screws down too tightly due to their flimsy sheet metal enclosure. So if the drive seems defective after you install it, try backing the screws out slightly.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page