How do you rip and playback these Pink Floyd "immersion" sets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I was considering getting the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here "Immersion Box Set". I assume most of the cd, DVD and BD disks will rip normally, but one disk is identified as follows:

DISC 3 - DVD1, ALL AUDIO:

-Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps

-Wish You Were Here, James Guthrie 2009 5.1 Surround Mix (previously unreleased) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

-Wish You Were Here, Original Mix (1975) LPCM stereo

-Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps

-Wish You Were Here, Quad Mix (previously released only on vinyl LP/8 track tape) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps

So, will something like AnyDVD rip this and maintain the special formats?

And how do you playback and map the channels on a Quad Mix? How is the quad mix on these things decoded and played back? I doubt many people have 1970s vintage quadraphonic decoders, plus, that was an analog vinyl or tape system, not a digital format. So are these things digitally encoded to play back in quad on modern 5.1 systems? Will a modern AVR handle this properly? (at least unlike the 1970s, we all have 4+ speakers today, I'm just wondering how the sound gets to the four speakers).

Also, the BD includes a track "AUDIO: Wish You Were Here, Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit". What's the best way to rip an audio-only track from a BD to an MP3 while maintaining the quality?

Anyone have any of these Pink Floyd immersion editions who can explain how this works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Yes. AnyDVD or any other rippers can rip this like any other DVD. The result on your hard drive is dependent upon whether you are ripping the full disc, just certain parts, doing any post-rip processing etc...

2. The surround audio on the DVD is DD. My understanding is that on DVD the standard for DD is up to 448 kbps, but the overall standard for DD is up to 640 kbps. Many DVD players can handle the DD 640 kbps, but the 448 kbps is there for those that can't. Any modern AVR will be fine with this, it will decode to the number of channels in the DD, four.

3. For extracting audio from your BD that you own look into something called audiomuxer.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Also, the BD includes a track "AUDIO: Wish You Were Here, Original stereo mix (1975) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit". What's the best way to rip an audio-only track from a BD to an MP3 while maintaining the quality?

There is no way to convert a high-res 96/24 audio track to MP3 without a significant loss in audio quality unless the source material is bad to begin with. The best way to minimize track size and maintain audio quality would be flac, not MP3.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

There is no way to convert a high-res 96/24 audio track to MP3 without a significant loss in audio quality unless the source material is bad to begin with. The best way to minimize track size and maintain audio quality would be flac, not MP3.

Now, if I could play a flac file on a Thunderbolt or iPod I'd be fine.

What is the absolute maximum quality MP3 resolution?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

2. The surround audio on the DVD is DD.

Well, there are both 5.1 versions and the original Quad Mix versions. Are the Quad versions also DD (if so, I assume that they don't use the center channel or subwoofer)?
post #6 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, there are both 5.1 versions and the original Quad Mix versions. Are the Quad versions also DD (if so, I assume that they don't use the center channel or subwoofer)?

Correct, they are also DD. (DD does not require there to be 5.1 channels, so it's not like it is DD5.1 with center and lfe channel missing, but it is just 4 channel DD - the Dolby Digital article over at wikipedia shows the channel configurations supported by DD.)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

Correct, they are also DD. (DD does not require there to be 5.1 channels, so it's not like it is DD5.1 with center and lfe channel missing, but it is just 4 channel DD - the Dolby Digital article over at wikipedia shows the channel configurations supported by DD.)

Thank you very much. That makes sense.

BTW, do you have any of these immersion versions and are they really worth it?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Now, if I could play a flac file on a Thunderbolt or iPod I'd be fine.

What is the absolute maximum quality MP3 resolution?

Highest MP3 resolution is 320 Kbps. This is a pretty minuscule sampling rate when compared to 96/24 pcm.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much. That makes sense.

BTW, do you have any of these immersion versions and are they really worth it?

I bought both, but only for the BDs. I turned around and sold everything else to one of my friends who didn't want the BDs (win win!). I'm a surround music nut, so these were a must buy for me. I really like the surround mixes, especially DSOTM's quad mix. I believe there are some threads over in the "Surround Music Formats" sub-forum here at avsforum that discusses these sets, if you can find those discussions it might make for some interesting reading (I think more than just the surround tracks are discussed).
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Check the following website
Computeraudiophile.com
There is a specific how to / step by step instructions

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...ersion-Box-Set

Regards
MCL
Reply Home Theater Computers