XBMC and 3D blu-ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the process of converting my 3D blu-rays to MKVs with 3D MVC streams now that makemkv has the option. Does anyone know if there is an add on to the xbmc player to support 3D MKVs? Or is my only option to purchase a player such PowerDVD. I just really like having my entire library in xbmc. I guess I could set xbmc to open an external player for those files. Any ideas, or what route are you guys going?

Also, if TMT5 or PowerDVD are my only options for 3D BluRay Mkvs, which do you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

I'm in the process of converting my 3D blu-rays to MKVs with 3D MVC streams now that makemkv has the option. Does anyone know if there is an add on to the xbmc player to support 3D MKVs? Or is my only option to purchase a player such PowerDVD. I just really like having my entire library in xbmc. I guess I could set xbmc to open an external player for those files. Any ideas, or what route are you guys going?

Also, if TMT5 or PowerDVD are my only options for 3D BluRay Mkvs, which do you prefer?

It works just like a regular mkv, when the movie starts just put your tv on 3d mode it will work, it worked for me you can even get your 3d cases to show in xbmc depending on the skin
post #3 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

So what player are you using? The stock xbmc, TMT5, or PowerDVD?
post #4 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 AM

a) I can't answer about the 3d, I haven't gone that route yet.

b) Since you are using MKV's you are not converting the audio, if you want to decode your HD audio properly at this time you NEED to use an external player (I use Media Player Classic HC) and configure it to bitsteam to your AVR. With the latest XBMC (v11, "Eden") I saw a patch on their forums that enables bitstream out but it is not official and I have not played with it yet either although the feedback looked good.

Just an FYI if you didn't know about that portion of it. Good luck! I too love having all my media at my fingertips and hopefully soon, we won't need to fiddle with external players at all.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #5 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm currently using the patched version of eden that supports bit streaming. I agree it is great. I was using MPC-HC as my player but switched to the default xbmc player since I could bitstream. From what I have been reading I could set an external player such as PowerDVD for 3d titles only. I just want to be sure it supports mkvs containing the MVC 3d stream before I purchase it and I am already past my trial period so I'm unable to test it.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am wondering the same thing. I found this in regard to MPC-HC:

"Revision 3105 - Directory Listing
Modified Sat May 14 13:17:13 2011 UTC (10 months, 3 weeks ago) by casimir666
Add MVC parsing support"

Not sure if that means it can play 3D MVC MKV files. Are you able to, or have you already tried it with MPC-HC? If it doesn't work, I am hoping someone can confirm if TMT 5 or Power can do it.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I found the same post referencing MPC-HC but anytime I try to play it it freezes.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

So what player are you using? The stock xbmc, TMT5, or PowerDVD?

using the stock player
post #9 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol007 View Post

using the stock player

Are there any specific settings you are using to get it to show in 3d? They are showing in 2d when I play it in xbmc.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Are there any specific settings you are using to get it to show in 3d? They are showing in 2d when I play it in xbmc.

I'm not sure if you knew, but you are able to switch the stock player to the one of your choice. I used this wiki page and some threads on xbmc's forum to be able to switch from the stock player to VLC because all of my video's would freeze using the stock player. Now when I play something on xbmc using VLC as my stock player, I don't get the freezing issue.

As far as 3d capabilities, I haven't been able to try it because I don't have 3D glass for my Sony KDL60EX. :/
post #11 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:

ksbarnz, have you tried manually switching your TV to 3d when playing it? I was trying out the Micca 600 G2 to replace my Boxee Box and that's what I had to do with it. Seems like that's what desol007 did:

"when the movie starts just put your tv on 3d mode it will work"

Unless he's referring to SBS or Top/Bottom 3D. We need to confirm he was watching frame packed MVC 3D in MKV.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanndogg View Post

ksbarnz, have you tried manually switching your TV to 3d when playing it? I was trying out the Micca 600 G2 to replace my Boxee Box and that's what I had to do with it. Seems like that's what desol007 did:

"when the movie starts just put your tv on 3d mode it will work"

Unless he's referring to SBS or Top/Bottom 3D. We need to confirm he was watching frame packed MVC 3D in MKV.

Yes I have tried switching my tv to 3d before watching 3d films in xbmc. Still not working. I think since they are full hd frame packed movies that might be the issue. I think sbs or top bottom 3d film work in xbmc.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Copy that, I looked at all the specs on PowerDVD 12 and TMT 5, but don't see anything that specifically mentions 3D MVC in MKV. Unless I am missing something, seems strange it's this "difficult" to confirm how to do this.... unless it's not possible at this time.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Hold on a second, ksbarnz, your HTPC hardware can do frame packed 3D right? Maybe that's the issue?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yes my hardware is able to handle it. I have two Nvidia gtx 560's sli'd going to a pioneer receiver. When my trial of PowerDVD was active I had no problems playing physical disks in 3d on my PC. I just am not sure how to play the mkvs with the MVC 3d stream now. I have been doing some reading and have read that PowerDVD will, but can not test it. I have tested TMT5 tonight but can not get the mkvs with the 3d stream to play in 3d.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:

No when I play a 3d movie it will show in side by side like I ripped it, but I used dvdfab to make my 3d bd mkv's
post #17 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone who has PowerDVD see if it will play MKV's with the 3D MVC stream pulled from MakeMKV? I just want confirmation if it does or doesn't before I purchase it. So far I have tried TMT5 and Stereoscopic Player. Stereoscopic Player would play the MKV in 3D but the playback was a bit choppy.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do 3d blurays have to be in mkv format to play in xbmc?

I was always under the impression xbmc does not support 3d at least not for iso and bdmv folder.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page