post #91 of 98 Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Entirely depends on how you tweak your TV's settings, this was already answered by the capt. above. The video stream you see is exactly what was delivered by your cable or OTA provider.

Not necessarily. There are rendering, deinterlacing and scaling steps involved. So the TV settings are hugely important but if the deinterlacing and scaling is second rate, the whole things is messy. I use outboard video processing. Which produces a much better image. Even then you can have motion issues during horizontal pans that are graphic processor related.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

What type of outboard video processing? A separate hardware device or through the HTPC before it arrives at the xbox 360s? 

post #93 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 AM

I am just very worried that it will look like I'm running it off of an xbox or a pc, instead of watching TV (as far as the quality).  Unfortunately no one can really answer this and is instead saying depends on how you tweak the TV?  Obviously a TV picture can be tweaked, but I am asking about the quality of the video being sent from the HTPC to these extenders.  

post #94 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post

I am just very worried that it will look like I'm running it off of an xbox or a pc, instead of watching TV (as far as the quality).  Unfortunately no one can really answer this and is instead saying depends on how you tweak the TV?  Obviously a TV picture can be tweaked, but I am asking about the quality of the video being sent from the HTPC to these extenders.  
Of course we can answer. It's 1080p/60. Looks exactly like a cable box or Tivo would look. Quality is not an issue unless you network is crap or your PC video card is crap or you don't know how to calibrate your TV. That's why everyone says it depends. Believe me, very few of us would be doing this if the quality weren't as good or better than a cable box. I certainly wouldn't.

From the looks of this thread, you have a major case of analysis paralysis. Just try it already. What do you have to lose.
post #95 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What type of outboard video processing? A separate hardware device or through the HTPC before it arrives at the xbox 360s? 

I have a Lumagen Radiance XS doing the deinterlacing and color correction on my HTPC. Then the signal goes to a Darbee Darblet befor the TV. I have a DVDO Edge on one box and a DVDO DUO on another. The TV with the DUO is an older 1366X768 Panasonic Plasma that will not accept its native panel resolution from an external source. It internal scaler works best when fed 1080i 60. So I send 1080P to the DUO Video Process from that HTPC and interlace it back to 1080i which produces the best image on the panel. I also use the DUO to manage image size with it adjustable underscan capability. This produces a far better image on this Panasonic that the PC can do. The scaling in the DVDO DUO while not as good as the Lumagen is much better than the PC. I also have the DUO do color correction here to. In another room I have the DVDO Edge which has the same scaling/deinterlacing hardware as the DUO. All these Devices are also very nice integration hubs with multiple HDMI inputs and outputs.

post #96 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Does the darblet really add noticeable clarity to the quality? I'd love to see the difference with and without it as well as any deinterlacing or color correction hardware. I also really dislike the motion flow effect that may be introduced by such devices? 

post #97 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Does the darblet really add noticeable clarity to the quality? I'd love to see the difference with and without it as well as any deinterlacing or color correction hardware. I also really dislike the motion flow effect that may be introduced by such devices? 
No, but the people who buy them think they do. They typically just add distortions that make you think the picture is better. wink.gif
post #98 of 98 Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

No, but the people who buy them think they do. They typically just add distortions that make you think the picture is better. wink.gif
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page