Low profile 1155/1156 HSF throwdown - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've had the fun of recently testing three low profile HSFs. I thought I'd summarize my findings here since low profile HSFs tend to be of interest to HTPC builders, especially those going SFF.

The Contenders

Silverstone NT07-1156, $24.50 from Amazon.com, 37mm high

Titan DC-155A915Z/RPW, $19.98 from Newegg.com, 30mm high

Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus, $28.98 from Newegg.com, 28mm (1U) high

The Testbed
Intel G620 CPU
ASUS P8H61-I motherboard
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333
Kingston 64GB SSD
Samsung 250GB 2.5" HDD
Iwill HT80 mini ITX HTPC case

The Results
The Silverstone NT07-1156 is an oldie but goodie I've had around for a while. It's the tallest of the bunch at 37mm and it clips in like the stock Intel HSF. For both price and noise it comes in middle between the other two. It does a good job of cooling. There's not much to say here we don't already know.

Pros:
Installs like the stock meaning you don't have to remove the motherboard
Quieter than stock
Decent price with good reputation

Cons:
Installs like the stock meanng you have those plastic clips

The Titan was a new one I'd never heard of or tried before. It comes in a 30mm, 7mm lower than the Silverstone and only 2mm above the Gelid. It looks very much like a stock HSF, except it screws into a backplate on the motherboard. This requires removing the motherboard which isn't a big deal. Install was very easy. It did a fine job of cooling but was the noisiest of the bunch, to my ears about on par with the stock HSF. It was the cheapest of the bunch.

Pros:
Under $20
Allows more clearance than the NT07

Cons:
Loudest of the bunch

The Gelid I'd also not tried before but it has a good reputation. At 28mm it's the shortest of the bunch at the "1U" height. It's also the most expensive. Unlike a lot of 1U coolers though it's not a server or blower style. It's hefty with a copper bottom and the paste pre-applied. Install was the trickiest of the bunch with tiny little black rings that had to be installed on each side of the mounting hole. There was a lot of flipping the motherboard back and forth to mount each clip which has three parts -- a standoff, a nut for the back and then a screw on spring with a nut for the top. It lives up to the 'Silence' in its name and does a great job of cooling. With that case I was using it became obvious that the 1U height is what it was designed for as I was able to mount the SSD under the ODD finally.

Pros:
Short as it gets
Quietest of the bunch
Excellent cooling

Cons:
Most expensive
Hardest to install

Conclusions
All these HSFs were good. They all cooled fine in a small case. IMHO, the Gelid was the best because it was the shortest and the quietest, at least for a 65W TDP CPU in a small case. It was the most expensive but only by $4.50. It was a bit of a chore to install but it's something you only need to do once or once in a while. If you've got headroom, the NT07-1156 is a good choice being the tallest. It's quiet and easy to install if you're used to the Intel stock HSF clips. It's also the most widely available it seems. I found it at several stores. The Titan is good and under $20 so a good choice for a budget build that needs a short cooler. It's the loudest of the bunch though. If you're sitting 10' away though it's not really audible.

As with everything, it depends on your budget and what you need it to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 814
strong post is strong.

Very strong post is very strong.

Nice job.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 6 Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the great info.
I am using a Dynatron T459 at 27.8mm tall.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130475929996

I do have other Gelid fans and like them a lot.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 10
I ordered the Gelid for my mini ITX build. I had hoped the stock intel cooler would have fit in the Wesena ITX1 case but it was barely too tall and I didn't want to "customize" the hdd bracket. Is the Gelid as quiet as the stock Intel cooler fan?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Thanks for the great info.

I am using a Dynatron T459 at 27.8mm tall.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130475929996

I do have other Gelid fans and like them a lot.

The T459 is my new favorite low-profile HSF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimocal View Post

I ordered the Gelid for my mini ITX build. I had hoped the stock intel cooler would have fit in the Wesena ITX1 case but it was barely too tall and I didn't want to "customize" the hdd bracket. Is the Gelid as quiet as the stock Intel cooler fan?

I think it's a little bit quieter. I use one in my bedroom HTPC in the E-i5 mini-itx case

post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Liked: 14
The Dynatron T357 is not too bad and moves a bit more air than the T459. Under MB PWM control they may not differ that much in terms of noise.

I got a retail i3-2120T and the stock HSF included measures a tad over 29mm. Interesting about these is the fact that Delta version is rated at 0.46A but Foxconn version is rated at much lower 0.27A. Could the Foxconn version run quieter also? I have to test these and see. But I have no means to measure noise.

I tried a Dynatron passive K129 with a i5-2390T in a well ventilated M350 case. It is only 26.5mm tall. The temperature went too high and I put in the T459 HSF. I then used this K129 in a not so well ventilated Morex 2699B case on a i3-2100T. I blocked off the space between top of the HS and the case, put a PWM controlled high flow 40mm fan in front of the K129. It kind of worked but louder than I like.

The fan is actually double sticky taped to the PCIe connector. The two lower flow PWM exhaust fan are also PWM controlled.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page