post #61 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

@Mfusick Have you tried 1080P playback, and if so how was the performance? Im sure it probably played it just fine, but I would still like to hear your opinion. Definitely like the idea of building the cheapest HTPC possible.

Its excellent. I use the g620 everyday on my secondary htpc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

@Mfusick Have you tried 1080P playback, and if so how was the performance? Im sure it probably played it just fine, but I would still like to hear your opinion. Definitely like the idea of building the cheapest HTPC possible.

Not Mfusick but the build I put in post 3 or 4 of this thread has played 1080p with Hi-Def audio just fine using XBMC.
Really couldnt be much happier with the performance.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #63 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Great, every f*cking thread here is going to be about whether or not something is illegal, immoral or piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yeah. It's a tired subject. Everyone has different views so it's really up to the individual to decide what to do, and the law to enforce itself.

I'm pretty ambivalent on the whole downloading/ripping of movies subject (as long as you aren't trying to sell them, of course). I agree its tired and not a winnable argument for either side. Frankly I don't really care what other people do.

However I don't think there is really any gray area on the selling of PCs or HTPCs with pirated Windows on them. That's pretty ballsy to say the least.

That's all.
post #64 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Yeah. It's a tired subject. Everyone has different views so it's really up to the individual to decide what to do, and the law to enforce itself.

That's like saying it's up to the individual to decide whether to shoplift a pair of jeans, steal a car, or rob a bank.

This isn't any different than walking out of the store with the box for Windows 7 shoved down your pants. And it's not remotely the same as using AnyDVD to back up your own BDs.

As Joeforsale said, " I believe we're all adults", and thus we all know better. Unless you have no sense whatsoever of right and wrong, there is no "different view" to have on this one.
post #65 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I'm pretty ambivalent on the whole downloading/ripping of movies subject (as long as you aren't trying to sell them, of course). I agree its tired and not a winnable argument for either side. Frankly I don't really care what other people do.

However I don't think there is really any gray area on the selling of PCs or HTPCs with pirated Windows on them. That's pretty ballsy to say the least.

That's all.

I agree.

Hacked OS is totally stealing and wrong.

I also think coping and selling Movies and Music is also wrong.

Watching a TV show that aired publically on TV - but from a download- for personal viewing...

I think that is ok. (I do it)

Most networks even have streaming options- and cable companies offer ON demand too. It's the same thing to me.

I pay for cable. So assuming I am paying for the channel that aired it originally- what does it matter if I missed it or downloaded it to watch it again ?>????

That is where the grey areas come up. Technically I am wrong- but I sleep well at night without guilt.

It is really a matter of convenience and being a PC nerd that makes me prefer the PC to watch over silly cable box.

I pay $100+ month for cable I don't use because wife can't figure out a HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

@StardogChampion
You may want to edit this post to remove the obscured profanity. I was recently served an infraction from an AVS mod for "inappropriate language" when I posted an obscured profanity.

My infraction notice came by PM, and read as follows:

All it takes is someone reporting your post to the mods...

Just an FYI for everybody.

I got these too. It's nothing to worry about.

lol. Slap on the wrist.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #66 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A g630 LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge on an Asrock board with HDMI out will play back 1080p all day long just fine.

It will play back near perfectly till the cows come home. Honestly the CPU is not even near it's limits- it runs cool and quiet doing it.

Picture play back quality would be more linked to proper set up and installation of drivers, codecs, and general set up of software. For this I would use Assassin's Paid Guides.

With those- your results would be perfect. That is what I do.(did)

Any play back issue is not the hardware, It is probably the software set up.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #67 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

That's like saying it's up to the individual to decide whether to shoplift a pair of jeans, steal a car, or rob a bank.

This isn't any different than walking out of the store with the box for Windows 7 shoved down your pants. And it's not remotely the same as using AnyDVD to back up your own BDs.

As Joeforsale said, " I believe we're all adults", and thus we all know better. Unless you have no sense whatsoever of right and wrong, there is no "different view" to have on this one.

Oh don't think I was suggesting it's ok or right.

I just said it's not my problem to enforce the law. If I choose to obey on my own personal level, I can't be expected to make other's do the same. It's their choice. It is the Law's problem. Not mine.

That is all I said.

You will always have different views from different people.

Personally- Private home watching of aired TV programs seems ok to me. Stealing an OS, or selling a copy of a movie does not.

Each their own. It's just surprising someone would suggest using a hacked OS because it's "only a HTPC"

lol. That made me laugh. Wish I knew that before I bought multiple copies of Windows 7 and extra codes.

-

post #68 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's just surprising someone would suggest using a hacked OS because it's "only a HTPC"

lol. That made me laugh. Wish I knew that before I bought multiple copies of Windows 7 and extra codes.

Yeah, I couldn't figure that out either. Or the part about how it's ok to sell stolen stuff as long as you tell the buyer that it's stolen.
post #69 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I couldn't figure that out either. Or the part about how it's ok to sell stolen stuff as long as you tell the buyer that it's stolen.

Lol. That was the best one. I peed a little when I read it I laughed so hard.

Silly Assassin, he should have known that is what he should be doing.
No wonder his margins are so small.

lol.

-

post #70 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Also highlights how, as prices continue to drop, how big a chunk of the total the cost of Windows has become for us normal humans, and how big a price advantage the big commericial builders have when they're only paying $10 or so for an OEM license.

If you're building systems for yourself, the Family 3 Packs are available on Ebay for around $130 for a sealed set. Just be careful who you get them from because some sellers wear eye patches.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #71 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Liked: 11
Definitely giving that CPU a shot next build.

And for the record I don't build and sell HTPCs. My point was if I did I wouldn't have any qualms discounting a build because the OS is pirated, as long as the buyer is ok with it. I never said that this was any less legal or more ethical, it's simply the fact that it wouldn't bother me. If some third party decided to turn there nose up or think less of me I could seriously care less. Also, whether you pirate games/music/OS, speed in your car, or even make a copy of your Bluray/DVD/CD these things are all illegal in the states. You can justify why you do one and not the other all day long, but it's still illegal.
post #72 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely giving that CPU a shot next build.

And for the record I don't build and sell HTPCs. My point was if I did I wouldn't have any qualms discounting a build because the OS is pirated, as long as the buyer is ok with it. I never said that this was any less legal or more ethical, it's simply the fact that it wouldn't bother me. If some third party decided to turn there nose up or think less of me I could seriously care less. Also, whether you pirate games/music/OS, speed in your car, or even make a copy of your Bluray/DVD/CD these things are all illegal in the states. You can justify why you do one and not the other all day long, but it's still illegal.

Justified or not I went with the AMD because of the reports of the 24p issue with the intel GPU.
From what I read the GPU in the AMD chips seemed to perform better.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #73 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

If you're building systems for yourself, the Family 3 Packs are available on Ebay for around $130 for a sealed set. Just be careful who you get them from because some sellers wear eye patches.

BT

It this is legit I would do it.

Anyone used it before?

Know a reputable retailer?

-

post #74 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Justified or not I went with the AMD because of the reports of the 24p issue with the intel GPU.

No. Not true.

It's almost impossible to tell a difference in picture quality between Intel or AMD.

Or Nvidia or Radeon (ATI/AMD)

The difference is only perception of what people want to believe.

And none of them do 24p perfectly- and it does not matter.

The 24p bug is mostly a made up fabrication of AVS nutjobs looking for something to bicker about on the most semantic and nitty gritty level technically possible.

really- it's totally a non issue.

if your choosing AMD or Intel or Nvidia or Radeon over the others for "picture quality" your a fool. There is no perceivable difference.

I have Intel graphics, Nvidia, AMD, and even upper level dual Radeon gaming cards. None of them look any different playing a movie at 720p or 1080p over HDMI.

I prefer AMD. I used to be a fanboy. But reality is Intel products are now better in performance and value. The idea AMD is cheaper is now a myth so lately I have been Intel more.

On video cards- Radeon does have an advantage in price/performance so I tend to go that direction for gaming.

I can't even tell if I miss a frame every 5000 frames- there is tons more to worry about in HTPC than that.

24p bug amazes me. People worry about such trivial things- over important noticeable things like speed of system, ease of use... and general overall experience using the product daily.

To me- how it works- how easy it is- how well it performs is more important. It's "real" and in front of me daily.

24p bug- or not- It don't seem to bother me much.

So if Intel is better performance and value and more power efficient- I go with that.

-

post #75 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone used it before?

Once in a while Costco has these in the stores. It seems kind of random as to when they have them.
post #76 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

3 pack for $129 is a great price.

-

post #77 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone used it before?

Yes. I mention it in my sticky thread.
post #78 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. I mention it in my sticky thread.

I must have been sleeping. I skipped over that part since I already own windows discs.

But I have the need for another now...

-

post #79 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM

I had a friend of mine who builds his own pcs buy a "legit" copy from a seller(website). I don't believe it was from ebay either. Anyway, turns out it was a used key that came with it. He called MS and said they were really nice in activating it. He explained to them everything, even sent them his receipt, I think. He said they were going to look into the site to see about them.

So, if anyone ever gets a bum copy, that might be worth trying.
post #80 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

The reports are true in the sense that AMD APU does handle 24P better than the Sandy Bridge, but I highly doubt anyone can tell the difference with the naked eye. As MFUSick (and I'm sure assassin will say the same we've had a discussion about this in another thread) Intels prices have come down significantly and the architecture of their CPUs (extra thread per core) gives it a significant boost when compared to AMD CPUs at similar prices. Intels higher end CPUs, while really great, or a bit too pricey for me though.
post #81 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Greetings Guys,

I get all y'all rip the Blu-ray you buy (alledgedly) to a server; either to ISO, folder, or MKV, or whatever your format of choice is. I do the same thing.

Since I don't generally need to be overly concerned about the expense of components I put in computers I build, assembling a sub $300 PC to be an HTPC doesn't make sense to me, nor does putting a DVD drive in any computer given the price of a Blu-ray drive.

Seems to me a Home Theater Computer should have capability to operate in an actual home theater and playback everything it might need to, including a Blu-ray disc.

I get that HTPC is a genre of personal computers. This is a rhetorical question; is it an HTPC if is not actually in a home theater?

Willie
post #82 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhearn View Post

I had a friend of mine who builds his own pcs buy a "legit" copy from a seller(website). I don't believe it was from ebay either. Anyway, turns out it was a used key that came with it. He called MS and said they were really nice in activating it. He explained to them everything, even sent them his receipt, I think. He said they were going to look into the site to see about them.

So, if anyone ever gets a bum copy, that might be worth trying.

Yeah that is always an option. Microsoft has always been very cool with me about lost key codes and issues.

Not sure if it is because I have registered many OS with them before and I am in the system or what- but I have faith in MS customer service.

A large company like that with such a strong hold on the industry is not in the business of upsetting people.

-

post #83 of 1019 Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
2 things -

1. Most people are honest. I doubt anyone here is costing the big media companies billions in lost revenue as they are so fond of claiming.

2. Laws these days are written in such a way that it's very easy (and in some cases unavoidable) to find yourself on the wrong side of the law, and impossible to prove otherwise. In other words, its a way to prosecute almost anyone, not to catch criminals. e.g. I could be browsing the web and a website could store an image/file in its cache. Which is then on my pc (without my knowledge) and its my responsibility to prove that I didn't 'pirate' it.

IMO almost everyone has a ripped copy of some media they own. There is no other way to get it on the many devices we use today like phones, HTPC etc. I am a lot more concerned about sharing my copy, e.g. how WHS/MediaCenter share their libraries, because that could technically be considered uploading/distribution, which is a lot more serious.
post #84 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #85 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Used ATV2 50$.
post #86 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Used ATV2 50$.

I jailbroke mine with XBMC. Not nearly as nice as a HTPC.

And can't do 1080p, internet, etc.
post #87 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is going to be tough to beat.

G530 $38 shipped with code
https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G530BOX&c=CJ

H61 Board $30-$37 shipped AR (goes on sale all the time for $30 AR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135288

4GB 1333 RAM $13 AR
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=P33-5310

So that's $81.

Lol. Your the master. .

-

post #88 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:

This is going to be tough to beat.

G530 $38 shipped with code
https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G530BOX&c=CJ

H61 Board $30-$37 shipped AR (goes on sale all the time for $30 AR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135288

4GB 1333 RAM $13 AR
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...srkey=P33-5310

So that's $81.

This is why I live this forum! Nice find!! Who can top it?
post #89 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

This is why I live this forum! Nice find!! Who can top it?

I think that's about as cheap as it goes.
post #90 of 1019 Old 04-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I jailbroke mine with XBMC. Not nearly as nice as a HTPC.

And can't do 1080p, internet, etc.

20$ broadcom card and it can do 1080p.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic , Asus , Asus Computer , Asus Us , Asus Components , Asus Computer International Direct
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page