Cheapest ever HTPC that's decent. Proud of myself. - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1019 Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure If I really need a SSD. I'm thinking it's gonna run similar to my MBP (never turn off) so it will be running XBMC 90% of the time. The component list matches my budget though and add a 3TB drive and an IR remote with USB dongle and I think I'm set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1019 Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It's hard to pirate or steal 3D content, and if you do the quality is terrible so that's pretty much out of the picture. SBS or TB 3D MKV is pure crap IMO.
Those two opinions are pure crap IMO
post #993 of 1019 Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Those two opinions are pure crap IMO

I just find ISO better. Full resolution 3D MKV in SBS is too big and I get annoyed switching modes on the projector to force 3D mode. You use 3D? How you do it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #994 of 1019 Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellaird View Post

Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure If I really need a SSD. I'm thinking it's gonna run similar to my MBP (never turn off) so it will be running XBMC 90% of the time. The component list matches my budget though and add a 3TB drive and an IR remote with USB dongle and I think I'm set.

Get an SSD. If your are running windows you need it. The improvement is night and day.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #995 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
In my experience, an SSD is not very useful on a dedicated HTPC. Yes, it will take 1-2 more seconds to resume from standby and another 1-2 seconds more to launch WMC. But it is by no means night and day. SSD will save me 20-30 seconds in boot time but I do not need to shutdown nor hibernate. All my media are stored in conventional HDD though.
EricN likes this.
post #996 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

In my experience, an SSD is not very useful on a dedicated HTPC. Yes, it will take 1-2 more seconds to resume from standby and another 1-2 seconds more to launch WMC. But it is by no means night and day. SSD will save me 20-30 seconds in boot time but I do not need to shutdown nor hibernate. All my media are stored in conventional HDD though.

Will will have to disagree as I find the improvements of having an OS on SSD permeates and penetrates into every facet of my HTPC experience and life without an SSD would be intolerable to me. The improvements go way beyond boot times. Everything works better. Including populating album art from cache (on SSD) and how fast you can scroll through your library. I don't want to argue this too much since we have talking about this many times around here, but SSD is basically superior at everything. It's possible that you might use your HTPC in a certain way that minimized the superiority of SSD, and it's also possible that some folks might not care much about the SSD being better or faster. But non of that will negate the fact that SSD is superior to HDD at everything, and in many cases it certainly is night and day. I can't think of more bang for you buck or something that provides such a real world improvement in user experience as an SSD. It's much more important than the speed of your CPU, or the Speed of your RAM, or how much RAM you have, or how good your PSU is... etc.. It's basically the one area I would never want to compromise. I would skimp a bit on everything else to make room for it in my budget if it comes down to this because life without isn't worth living.

You get the point right ?

You can live without an SSD but personally I would never consider it.

-

post #997 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Using a SSD will make AVSForum pages load faster, because mentioning that you don't use a SSD and that it makes no difference to your HTPC will drastically increase the length of the threads.
post #998 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

Using a SSD will make AVSForum pages load faster, because mentioning that you don't use a SSD and that it makes no difference to your HTPC will drastically increase the length of the threads.

LMAO very good
post #999 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

LMAO very good

I had to thumb up EricN for that one. Too funny.

-

post #1000 of 1019 Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yes, the pros waaaaay outnumber the cons as to having an SSD for the primary drive. As someone has mentioned, there is no shortage of "discussion" on the subject.

But that aside,having an SSD does:
Increases the WAF.
Braggin' rights amongst your friends/co-workers.
The "...need-for-speed..." built in to the Y chromosome.
Mental satisfaction.
One-up on your techie buddy.
Proves that old dogs can learn something new.
Your kids will understand.

OK, that is the best I can do without coffee.

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #1001 of 1019 Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You use 3D? How you do it ?

SBS MKV played back with XBMC Gotham. Output is forced 2D which also looks good, but I can switch it over to 3D then grab the TV remote and pairs of glasses for all the guests. Then force the TV to SBS. Force it back to 2D when finished, put the glasses up, XBMC switches back to 2D at the end of playback

I didn't think I'd care for it, but it looks much better than I expected
post #1002 of 1019 Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Full 3D or half resolution SBS ?

-

post #1003 of 1019 Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know
post #1004 of 1019 Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't know

Full 3D = 1080p x2 or double 1080p frames if SBS or TB format. That means two 1080x1920 images side by side or on top and bottom of each other. So the MKV is 3840x2160. This is quite a sizable MKV file from my experience, and it's a resolution and bit rate that will make many common set ups struggle with from my experience.

The alterntative is not SBS or TB format, (which sucks IMO) but rather MVC encoded. This can work in both MKV or ISO but you need a MVC decoder to playback.

MVC only uses the changes from the first frame to the second, so it's a lot more efficient from a storage perspective rather than two complete frames. It allows you full bit rate and full quality without the need for a huge 3840x2160 MKV container.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiview_Video_Coding

Quote:
The MVC format
MVC stands for Multiview Video Coding. It is an amendment to the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video compression standard developed with joint efforts by MPEG/VCEG that enables efficient encoding of sequences captured simultaneously from multiple cameras using a single video stream.
The MVC format includes a full-frame 2D AVC stream, called the base view, and a secondary offset stream called the dependent view. MVC streams are backward compatible with H.264/AVC, which allows standard 2D Blu-ray Disc™ players and software to decode stereoscopic video streams. They play the base view and simply ignore the additional information contained in the dependent view.
The MVC format is highly efficient, and the dependent view only adds about 50% extra bit rate to the overall stream.

MakeMKV has the ability to generate MVC encoded files, so that is a popular way to get full quality 3D without needing a huge container to hold it. It's not much bigger than a standard 1080p MKV rip from my experience, and it's backwards compatible with 2D as well- so it's a great solution from a compatability perspective. You would need MVC decoding software player to enable 3D mode for stereoscopic viewing. Something like Stereoscopic player or PowerDVD13 has the ability to do this. The other option is the ISO format, which a software player like PowerDVD seems to also handle pretty well, and you cam toggle on and off the 3D mode. You just need to mount an ISO reader or virtual drive to read the ISO. That's not hard though.

I am not a fan of "forced" 3D with SBS from my experience. You can make it work, but it seems like there is sync issues often, and the files are just a PITA to deal with. I'm still partly noob on 3D so I don't want to sound like an expert. Anyone feel free to chime and an call me an idiot if you have something of value to add, or I don't get it. I just wonder why people use SBS encoding so much, it seems hardly worth the trouble from a ripping and storage perspective. The playback isn't ideal either IMO. There seems to be much less sync issues with MVC or ISO.

-

post #1005 of 1019 Old 03-07-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that I didn't know what you were asking, but I don't know since I didn't make the sbs mkv. I'm not sure how to check, but when I play it back in 2d xbmc reports 1920x1080

When ffmpeg supports mvc and xbmc bumps to that version of ffmpeg, I'd consider trying to get mvc mkvs. Until then, sbs mkvs are pretty easy to get
post #1006 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not that I didn't know what you were asking, but I don't know since I didn't make the sbs mkv. I'm not sure how to check, but when I play it back in 2d xbmc reports 1920x1080

When ffmpeg supports mvc and xbmc bumps to that version of ffmpeg, I'd consider trying to get mvc mkvs. Until then, sbs mkvs are pretty easy to get

The ones you are getting are likely half resolution in one direction. It reports full because the total of both equals the full resolution but SBS is half resolution in order to fit the 1080p resolution in total. Top bottom would be half resolution in the other direction most likely. So one direction is either half 1080 or half 1920.

A full 3D MKV SBS or TB is 3840 x 2160.

MVC > SBS / TB MKV for these reasons.

On animation or cgi it looks ok but on some movies like Jurassic park or Titanic you can tell the difference.

*edit: when did I become a 3D snob? Lol.

-

post #1007 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that's quite the assumption as to whether it's half or full

ISO and MVC are least desirable to me at the moment since XBMC just added native SBS / OU support and I've no interest in purchasing an external player
post #1008 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well I am just reading between the lines and guessing so you are right it's quite an assumption biggrin.gif But really I just don't know where you'd be getting full 3D 3840x2610 MKV and how you'd be playing them back, so I am just assuming it's half OU or SBS or TB. How big is your typical file ?

-

post #1009 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I am just reading between the lines and guessing so you are right it's quite an assumption biggrin.gif But really I just don't know where you'd be getting full 3D 3840x2610 MKV and how you'd be playing them back, so I am just assuming it's half OU or SBS or TB. How big is your typical file ?
From deep space smile.gif

To be fair, I've only tried playing it back in my server biggrin.gif i7-3770k, but I really should test xbmc 3d-sbs on an i3 and celeron

Also, it's 16GB, but it's common for x264 u/loaders to keep full resolution and lower the bitrate these days. It's definitely not full bitrate
post #1010 of 1019 Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't even have my 3d included in my plex or mb3 collections anymore. I removed my 3D collection because I hated the duplicates. I search out 3D manually and launch it manually with a software player for 3d if I want to do it.

I keep waiting for MB3 to allow me to use a external player on only 3D. Until then I just do it manually.

-

post #1011 of 1019 Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone know the cheapest CPU that can do 3D ?

-

post #1012 of 1019 Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
post #1013 of 1019 Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

A6-6400K, A6-5400K.

Thanks! If you were building a cheap or high value HTPC that could do 3D what would you do ?

-

post #1014 of 1019 Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So speaking of "cheap" HTPC setups, I'm wondering what will be more effective?

AMD A4-5300 or Intel Pentium G3430?

So far based on mobo prices differences (based on specs that I need/want) the price difference between the two setups is that the intel setup would be just over $30 difference.

So based on that, which setup would you go with the AMD or Intel setup?

thanks,
Josh
post #1015 of 1019 Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Do you need 3D?

-

post #1016 of 1019 Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1017 of 1019 Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

No 3d is needed.

-Josh

Intel is better then.

-

post #1018 of 1019 Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anything interesting with new Intel 9 series chipset ? Or Kaveri platforms ? I mean specifically about budget builds.

-

post #1019 of 1019 Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Z97 / H97 chipset motherboards are expensive (and they add nothing, except for M.2 card support). B85 / H81 chipset mb with Celeron G1820 / G1840 is still the cheapest and best. If you want 3D, go with A6-6400K with A88X / A78 mb. Bay Trail-M and D (Celeron N2820, J1800, J1900 etc.) is also reported to support 3D, but only if you want the lowest power system.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic , Asus , Asus Computer , Asus Us , Asus Components , Asus Computer International Direct
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page