Google Chrome is turning into a bloated memory hog - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I do a lot of browsing on my htpc hooked up to my big screen. I switch between Chrome and Firefox because both have their strengths and weaknesses. However, over the past year Chrome has really gotten out of hand when it comes to memory usage, while Firefox has improved immensely. Firefox used to be known for its memory leaks but now it seems Chrome is the one with the issues.

I took a snapshot of the about:memory usage in Chrome, and right now they are using about the same amount of memory. However, I have 10 tabs open in Chrome and 85 open in Firefox! If I were to try to open that many tabs in Chrome it typically uses 3+ gigs of ram and up to 6 gigs of cache. Since I have 4GB of ram on my system, this effectively maxes out both my physical and virtual memory, and Chrome lags immensely, taking forever to load new tabs or refresh current ones. It also has a huge problem with pages that auto refresh. It doesn't release memory properly. By the end of the day Facebook and iGoogle will balloon to 800+MB EACH. That is just ridiculous.

Is this experience typical with what you guys are seeing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I find Chrome to be much faster and less crash prone than Firefox. I was loyal FF user until about 2 months ago when I finally made the transition and I haven't looked back. However, I typically have only about 10 tabs open. What do you need 85 tabs open for??
post #3 of 26 Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lots of sites I visit daily and lots of articles get opened from those sites. Don't always have time to read them all right away.
post #4 of 26 Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 10
I've noticed Chrome being slower in general the last year. I thought it was b/c of my add-ins so I disabled a bunch of them w/o much improvement. FF is still slower w/ similar add-ins. I can't open more than 10 tabs w/o going crazy.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 32
Of course it is going to eat up resources, with both browsers up and running, and 10 on one and 85 on another. If just with one tab open on either and let to run, and they start eating up memory, you need to let either company know, by submitting a ticket.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Sadly you hide all the important information behind the onscreen keyboard.
It sure looks like alot of memory is hidden in some extensions, maybe you need to cut back on those.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I put 85 clowns in my Volkswagen and it accelerates like a hog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 AM

Holy Moly! Look at all those tabs! And extensions too. Is this thread a joke?
post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 18
Did you guys even read the OP?
post #10 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeper View Post

Did you guys even read the OP?

Yes. This is as funny as the picture of IE with every addon toolbar available. There is no way a computer is going to run quick with that many tabs open.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Probably because less than 0.0001% of the world uses a browser like you do and thus google chrome developers aren't going to optimize its use in that manner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I switched to Iron a few months ago and haven't looked back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_...es_from_Chrome
post #13 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Wow, I didn't expect to find this topic but I couldn't agree more OP.

At any given time I have 10-15 tabs open, sometimes more. I am a huge multi-tasker, even more when I'm at work with 3 screens running and chrome is a huge hog it seems lately.

Switched to firefox at work, may do the same at home, supper laggy tonight with only 8-10 tabs open.

I'll open a window find 3 things I want to google more, (4 tabs), in those windows it can lead to 3 more things (7 tabs) remember a movie I wanted to watch (8 tabs), wait which movie did she play in and which does she have coming out (9 tabs), oh i need to buy those posters (10 tabs), what's going on in the news (11 tabs), where's the music (12 tabs) friend sends me a youtube video to watch (13 tabs)...constantly switching between all tabs to finish what I was doing...
post #14 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
... I have been there. Heck, I'm still there. I could put StinDWg to shame with the number of tabs I have open right now between FF, Chrome and Thunderbird. Every day comes new links to check out but usually there ends up being a few that I haven't gotten around to. And each day, the number grows.

Back in the days when I was a regular daily newspaper reader including two Sunday papers and a tendency to be very thorough, I would have piles upon piles of articles saved for later reading, for general reference or kept for follow-up research. Now, the same habits have followed me over to the computer with my web-surfing. Row upon row upon row of open tabs have replaced the piles of newspapers. And no, I'm not otherwise a candidate for Hoarders.

Part of it is procrastination. Faced with a ton of open tabs, I put off trying to work my way through the backlog but yet, I'm still unwilling to simply close them out or even bookmark them. I know that if I bookmark them, I am even more unlikely to ever revisit those pages again.

Yes, I need an intervention.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

... I have been there. Heck, I'm still there. I could put StinDWg to shame with the number of tabs I have open right now between FF, Chrome and Thunderbird. Every day comes new links to check out but usually there ends up being a few that I haven't gotten around to. And each day, the number grows.

Back in the days when I was a regular daily newspaper reader including two Sunday papers and a tendency to be very thorough, I would have piles upon piles of articles saved for later reading, for general reference or kept for follow-up research. Now, the same habits have followed me over to the computer with my web-surfing. Row upon row upon row of open tabs have replaced the piles of newspapers. And no, I'm not otherwise a candidate for Hoarders.

Part of it is procrastination. Faced with a ton of open tabs, I put off trying to work my way through the backlog but yet, I'm still unwilling to simply close them out or even bookmark them. I know that if I bookmark them, I am even more unlikely to ever revisit those pages again.

Yes, I need an intervention.

I could never live like that man!
post #16 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM

cruelinventions & allbaugh_04, you two are way too OCD. I have at the most maybe five tabs open for just an instance, otherwise it is just one tab all of the time. Even at work, I only need one tab open on my browser, which is *cough IE8..

There is no need to have every site or every bookmark open in the browser. If there is anything I want to check out, I will either save it as a bookmark on my desktop to check out later, or email myself if I find something that I need to go back to later on.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There is no need to have every site or every bookmark open in the browser. If there is anything I want to check out, I will either save it as a bookmark on my desktop to check out later, or email myself if I find something that I need to go back to later on.

Yeah, really. If you haven't read it within 24 hours...you probably don't really want to read it anyway.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, many are tabs which contain things I think I should be investigating further because it will be potentially useful or good for me to know. But yes, strictly from an interest standpoint, I'm probably not all that interested in many, so I keep putting them off.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Did you guys ever look into http://www.clipix.com? I don't use it, because I don't have much use for it, but it seems right up your alley.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Yeah, really. If you haven't read it within 24 hours...you probably don't really want to read it anyway.

Usually if it is not looked at in seven days, it goes away. There are though some things that you retain as bookmarks a lot longer. But never are all of my bookmarks opened all at once.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Well, many are tabs which contain things I think I should be investigating further because it will be potentially useful or good for me to know. But yes, strictly from an interest standpoint, I'm probably not all that interested in many, so I keep putting them off.

Then either send it as a email to yourself, or save it as a bookmark. I really do not see a need to have that many tabs open all at once, unless you are benchmarking, or beta testing a new browser build.

Really, no wonder why people have so many memory leaks, and blame it on the Operating System, not the third party software.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, now I've clicked upon both of your links ScoHo and opened up two more tabs and so the pile grows even higher!

On the surface, both look interesting. I'll try not to put them off for too long.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelinventions View Post

ok, now i've clicked upon both of your links scoho and opened up two more tabs and so the pile grows even higher!

lol
post #24 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Sadly you hide all the important information behind the onscreen keyboard.
It sure looks like alot of memory is hidden in some extensions, maybe you need to cut back on those.

I only use 9 extensions, totaling less than 100MB. Most of it is from Adblock Plus, which for what it does I have no problem with it. The biggest offenders are Facebook and iGoogle.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Probably because less than 0.0001% of the world uses a browser like you do and thus google chrome developers aren't going to optimize its use in that manner.

And yet Firefox has no problem keeping ram in check with a large number of tabs, neither does Opera. Don't tell me it's because Chrome uses separate processes per tab. No website needs 500-1000MB to run.
post #26 of 26 Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlesnack View Post

Holy Moly! Look at all those tabs! And extensions too. Is this thread a joke?

The point was Chrome uses 5-10x the amount of ram Firefox does. I use the same 5-10 extensions on Chrome and Firefox. The only joke is Chromes inability to free memory when needed. I don't really care if Chrome uses 3GB for 1 tab, as long as it releases memory and cache when the system needs it. Which it doesn't. It just keeps the cache growing bigger and bigger until you have the restart the browser to gain all the memory back. I like Chrome, I still use it as my default browser. I just don't like how Firefox is making major strides with the Memshrink Project and Chrome is basically just getting more inefficient at every new version number.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page