Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's the announcement from www.mythtv.org:

Quote:
Although we may not be known for using a witty naming scheme, and the version number only increments itself by a single "hundredth" every major release, we're extremely proud to announce the immediate release of what we loving refer to as - "0.25"! It's been 516 days (that's 1 year, 4 months, 30 days) since our last major release, so it goes without saying that a significant amount of work has made its way in to this current release with over 5200 commits making up 0.25.

MythTV version 0.25 includes several significant new features. A few key items to point out - new video acceleration capabilities such as VAAPI and DirectX Video Acceleration 2; expanded and improved audio capabilities including E-AC3, TrueHD, and DTS-HD support; Control your TV and other AV components via CEC (Consumer Electronics Control); enhanced and integrated metadata management capabilities for recordings and videos, and a fully functional API for third-party apps to build upon that can interact with both the frontend and backend - including a HTTP Live Streaming capabilities for delivering video content, in real-time, via the API.

Also noteworthy - MythMusic has been completely re-written and MythVideo is now directly integrated rather than being distributed as a separate plugin. Additionally, MythThemes is no longer maintained as a separate repository - all themes, including third party themes, can now be downloaded directly from the frontend theme chooser.

To see a full list of the "user-impacting" additions, changes, and bug-fixes that make up this release, please take a look at the release notes on the wiki.

You can download the tarballs now:

MythTV (MD5SUM e49c81de40e279c83dcb1b2aa9a45748)
MythPlugins (MD5SUM b3f2768372a38e92ca94841519daa05e)

Tarballs of all MythTV releases, past and present, are available on the FTP server, or you can check the code out from git.

If you prefer a pre-packaged version, you may want to check out the wiki packages page to see if your favorite distribution has binaries available for installation or download.

Has anyone done a recent comparison between MythTV and WMC? With this new version and out of the box Cablecard support, at least on the surface it looks like a decent alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a full list of features:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25
Old 04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 160
CableCard support means only copy-freely content, not everything.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Huh, I didn't know there was DVR software for linux. I guess this means linux is a truly viable alternative for HTPC now. I could have saved myself $75, oh well not much point to it now.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

CableCard support means only copy-freely content, not everything.

Ah. So you're saying if the cable provider flagged the program, Myth will not (cannot) record.

I've been digging through to find this language - do you have a link that describes this limitation?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
If the cable provider flagged the program with one of the CCI bits set, the stream is encrypted and Myth cannot handle it.

Comcast users are generally not affected all that much, only the premiums and movie channels are copy-once.
Verizon FIOS users are not affected at all, nothing is flagged.

Time Warner and Brighthouse flag everything except the locals so it's almost worthless for them without WMC.

Everything else is a mixed bag.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Huh, I didn't know there was DVR software for linux. I guess this means linux is a truly viable alternative for HTPC now. I could have saved myself $75, oh well not much point to it now.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Linux had DVR software way before WMC was released (Win XP MCE Edition).

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymania View Post

Ah. So you're saying if the cable provider flagged the program, Myth will not (cannot) record.

I've been digging through to find this language - do you have a link that describes this limitation?

It's on their wiki. But it's basically standard, Windows Media Center is the only PC software that supports CableCard approved DRM, allowing the recording of Copy Once flagged content.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

It's on their wiki. But it's basically standard, Windows Media Center is the only PC software that supports CableCard approved DRM, allowing the recording of Copy Once flagged content.

You know this DRM stuff doesn't effect the pirates it just blocks normal users like us from legit use, its insanely frustrating.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Agree completely.