post #31 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by janullrich View Post

I didn't realise you were so easily mislead. I will try and simplify the writing in future.

2 other things:

I think i5-2400's are running about $180 these days.
They are about 35% quicker.

However if you had a mobo and processor spare then is it more cost effective to use these or to buy new components. Food for thought.

Haters gonna hate.

It's not a matter of hate. But I, and I think most people here, when they are talking about how much their new build cost, usually include at $0 items that have already served their original intended purpose and are re-purposing (consider them fully depreciated from their past use and having a zero cost basis if you will). I have no problem with re-using servicable equipment, indeed I encourage it. In fact, I think most here are proud of how little they needed to invest rather than how much their system cost. Also, btw I can walk into a Micro Center and buy an i5-2500 for $149 any time.

I assume you didn't go out and actually buy a Q9650 and an LGA775 motherboard just for this build, did you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

I assume you didn't go out and actually buy a Q9650 and an LGA775 motherboard just for this build, did you?

Nope. I dont think you can even buy these retail anymore. See post 22 here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21911460 where I explained that I had components spare.

Had i zeroed some values it would not have given a true representative cost of what this build should cost.
post #33 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by janullrich View Post

Nope. I dont think you can even buy these retail anymore. See post 22 here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21911460 where I explained that I had components spare.

Had i zeroed some values it would not have given a true representative cost of what this build should cost.

It doesn't as you present it because no one would buy that processor, motherboard or graphics card for a build like that today even if they could. So if you're trying to show how much you invested, it overstates it, and if you're trying to show how much it would cost for someone else to reproduce it, it also far overstates it. You include about $700 for the cpu, motherboard and gpu when today it would cost $400 at most for superior performance, or even less if you simply used the integrated graphics included in a processor you would buy today. So the "should cost" is actually far less.

But anyhow, it looks like your system should work well for what you want to do. Hope you enjoy it. Looks like you had fun building it too. And as I said, I'm always happy to see people repurposing servicable old parts. I'm still using an old small form factor Pentium D machine as an htpc on a secondary system in the house. It worked great as an office machine for many years and after "retirement" found a new life playing streaming video and DVDs by the simply addition of a new $30 5450 video card. I even went so far recently as to put an SSD in it, and it's like a brand new machine. I expect to get several more years out of it. It does perfectly well what is asked of it.
post #34 of 36 Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

You include about $700 for the cpu, motherboard and gpu when today it would cost $400 at most for superior performance, or even less if you simply used the integrated graphics included in a processor you would buy today. So the "should cost" is actually far less.

New stuff is always better/cheaper. Can't use a statistic what it used to cost.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #35 of 36 Old 05-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked: 10
I like your desktop background, do you know where I can find a link to it?
post #36 of 36 Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago View Post

I like your desktop background, do you know where I can find a link to it?

Doing an google image search for "black hardwood flooring" leads to here.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page