Windows 8 Media Center Will Be An Add-On - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 316 Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima94930 View Post

I hope you realize that was just an excuse and an artificial, completely self-imposed limitation, and it had nothing to do with Microsoft losing interest in developing Media Center. Media Center being "tied to the OS" impeded its development to the same extent that the development of Notepad was impeded for that non-reason.

It probably was a bad excuse, and at the time, I thought it was pretty lame. But I've learned a lot about software development at the enterprise level over the last few years... you don't get to just change components of the OS on a whim or a hotfix.



Quote:
LOL. There are no Media Center developers anymore,

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. I hope you are wrong... no offense.


Quote:
and Microsoft is continuing its long history of insulting Media Center users by splitting it off from the OS as a pay feature while making no improvements to it. Don't be a sucker. Just say no.

Honestly, do you think Microsoft management sits around and wonders how they can stick it to their customers?
Puwaha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 316 Old 06-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
tima94930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

It probably was a bad excuse, and at the time, I thought it was pretty lame. But I've learned a lot about software development at the enterprise level over the last few years... you don't get to just change components of the OS on a whim or a hotfix.

Media Center is not a component of the OS any more than Notepad is. It is merely distributed with the OS. Big difference. Microsoft could have updated Media Center at any time without affecting the 99.9% of Windows users who don't use it.

Quote:
I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. I hope you are wrong... no offense.

Well, look at the facts. Microsoft has taken your glass away and is going to charge you extra for the exact same glass you used to get for free, and you're still wallowing in endless hopeful speculation. Media Center users are a lot like Charlie Browns to Microsoft's Lucy with the football.

Quote:
Honestly, do you think Microsoft management sits around and wonders how they can stick it to their customers?

I've always thought it comes naturally to them.
tima94930 is offline  
post #303 of 316 Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SteelWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Honestly, do you think Microsoft management sits around and wonders how they can stick it to their customers?

You are talking about a company that charges you to use Netflix on their hardware.
SteelWill is offline  
post #304 of 316 Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Yeah, it's not really a glass half-full thing anymore. The eHome team just doesn't exist anymore (and hasn't for a while now).

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #305 of 316 Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
trooper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
MS, like any other company, is out to maximize profits around products and services people want.

No, they aren't sitting around trying to screw us....

They try to predict what they can charge for services or changes that can make to some new product that consumers will still buy.

Why people insist on making them out to be any different then any other company is beyond me.



Plus, the fact is that MS, like any other company, will be forced to react if sales drop off. If its due to Metro, then they will make whatever changes are needed to get consumers back on board.


Oh and a little bit of news on the developer side of things, MS announced they would be releasing Visual Studio Express 2012 along with the standard versions. There was some concern over the fact that MS wasn't going to release updated tools for desktop development, but that turned out not to be true.
trooper11 is offline  
post #306 of 316 Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Microsoft doesn't charge you to use Netflix in Media Center. Besides, the Media Center-Netflix interface is arguably the best of the bunch out there short of the straight webpage version.
Puwaha is offline  
post #307 of 316 Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
SteelWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ And I'm certain that's a contributing factor as to why MS is phasing WMC out. I doubt the Netflix plugin is going to stay around much longer either. Is it even still being actively developed? Last I heard playback was choppy to the point of being unusable.
SteelWill is offline  
post #308 of 316 Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From what I understand, it's a Silverlight issue, not the Netflix plugin issue. It's not as noticeable on smaller screens (I have a 24" in the bedroom), but it's really noticeable on big screens (my 58" plasma in the den). My wife doesn't see it at all... so...

And they aren't going to stop developing WMC because they can't charge for Netflix on WMC... that's kind of silly... contributing factor or not.

There's nothing else in the same league as WMC and their version of Netflix. Trust, me I've tried them all... I've tried to phase my family to alternatives, but they keep dragging me back to it. It just works, it's intuitive, and yeah, it's familiar.

If development on WMC is truly dead, then I hope all the buzz around the latest AppleTV is truly a revolutionary device. I'm hopeful.
Puwaha is offline  
post #309 of 316 Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dj4monie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Phased out? Aren't we jumping ahead ourselves a bit? Windows 8 is not even out, Windows 7 is a mature product, support for XP will stop in 2014. That just means MS will not longer release hotfixes, security updates and service packs for it. Eventually 3rd party support will go down to nothing, maybe a year or two after 2014. By then Windows 7 be mainstream and Windows 8 only on much of the latest hardware for new users, while depending on what your doing, Gamers playing games that aren't officially supported by Windows 8 and people that use WMC as a DVR will be slow on the uptake until/unless something is dramatic about Windows 8 we don't know about.

There are people on this forum that still use XP Media Center and Vista, if its not broke don't fix it right?

The buzz even if some of it is negative around Windows 8 is likely pleasing Microsoft. It generates such a polarizing opinion from mostly Power users that every tech blog and magazine has post or story on its upcoming features.

Media Center was again a case of MS being ahead of the game. When the software came out, the hardware side of it was hardly mature. If WMC sees low usage, then MythTV, BeyondTV, MediaPortal and all the other DVR/PVR programs of days gone by or still in development must have not even a 1/3rd of the user base WMC over three OS life cycles. You wouldn't have seen the upgrades to provider DVR's if the threat from Windows Media Center wasn't real.

As was is being discussed over on the People don't understand HTPC thread, people will buy three or four boxes to do what ONE HTPC does, pay fees for a DVR with about half the features and twice as slow interface. The firmware in those boxes just don't change much so people grow comfortable with the familiarity of UI. All these v2.0 cable card tuners may have come two or three years too late. After all it was only about two years ago that Microsoft was working with DirecTV to actively integrate their service into Media Center.

How many people have an Xbox 360 and a Windows Vista or Windows 7 Desktop? How many know you can link those two together? Look at what my mother does with a PC? Plays a few cards games, works on the Family Tree, pays some bills and manages bank account. How about her IPhone? Mostly plays card games on it, you see a trend here? This is what 90% of computer users actually do. The younger they are, they more then trend to do with it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Didn't I read in thread here that somebody's boss bought a Alienware computer to basically browse the internet? This is the reason my mother has Windows 7 Ultimate, when I have Home Premium in both the laptop and the HTPC.

I think the problem from a consumer sales POV, is the typical salesperson doesn't know much about computers at all. A+ is not required by anybody but those that repair PC's or work Help Desk for businesses large and small. Companies pay us (I have A+) to know what to buy and what is the best investment for a companies bottom line and increasing productivity.

I think Media Center for Windows 8 will have a few winkles in it, but largely the same. If anything streaming content is likely to be quite a bit improved.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
dj4monie is offline  
post #310 of 316 Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,938
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

I think Media Center for Windows 8 will have a few winkles in it, but largely the same. If anything streaming content is likely to be quite a bit improved.

Nothing's changed so far with regards to streaming content. And you're fooling yourself if you think anything is happening to WMC other than it being phased out. That doesn't mean I won't continue to use it for as long as I possibly can (because there literally has been nothing better yet for my needs of recording premium content while also putting all of my digital content into an intuitive interface, all in one integrated component).

And honestly, I don't think that it's because of the Xbox Live subscriptions at all that Microsoft no longer feels like WMC is the future of the living room. A few of the actual reasons that I think it is are that most people don't want a computer in their living room, because the content companies want a fully closed off system, and because Microsoft has more control over every aspect of the system with a 360, which they don't with a PC.

It's still a dumb decision in my mind though. I've said this on some other forum before, but could you ever imagine Apple having a product that can literally do something that nothing else can, and just dropping it because it's not widely used? No, they'd be shoving it down people's throats.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #311 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
trooper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I've said this on some other forum before, but could you ever imagine Apple having a product that can literally do something that nothing else can, and just dropping it because it's not widely used? No, they'd be shoving it down people's throats.



The problem is that if MS tries that, there is a huge backlash. When Apple does it, its mostly applauded
trooper11 is offline  
post #312 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
SteelWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper11 View Post

The problem is that if MS tries that, there is a huge backlash. When Apple does it, its mostly applauded

I won't deny MS has gotten a totally unfair shake on a lot of things it has introduced and maybe Metro is an attempt to appeal to that lowest common denominator and/or those in Apple's reality distortion field. But doing so at the expense of most who liked Windows as a PC-centric OS is a huge misstep. The reason it's mostly power users crapping on Win8 now is because it's mostly power users who have used it. Folks not comfortable installing an OS or running a VM are going to be absolutely blindsided by this when they buy a new PC running it.
SteelWill is offline  
post #313 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dj4monie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Nothing's changed so far with regards to streaming content. And you're fooling yourself if you think anything is happening to WMC other than it being phased out. That doesn't mean I won't continue to use it for as long as I possibly can (because there literally has been nothing better yet for my needs of recording premium content while also putting all of my digital content into an intuitive interface, all in one integrated component).
And honestly, I don't think that it's because of the Xbox Live subscriptions at all that Microsoft no longer feels like WMC is the future of the living room. A few of the actual reasons that I think it is are that most people don't want a computer in their living room, because the content companies want a fully closed off system, and because Microsoft has more control over every aspect of the system with a 360, which they don't with a PC.
It's still a dumb decision in my mind though. I've said this on some other forum before, but could you ever imagine Apple having a product that can literally do something that nothing else can, and just dropping it because it's not widely used? No, they'd be shoving it down people's throats.

By Windows 9 it MIGHT not be available, okay but how far off is that? What will be available by then? I use WMC now and previously with XP and Vista, call me an oddball, I also had one of ATI's first All In Wonder cards and used their software to record cable tv programs.

I wanted more than what's available even now on most DVR's. I am not interested in multi-room viewing which is what the Hopper from DISH and 5 tuner DirecTV boxes offer. People often don't like what they don't understand and its no different with the average consumer and the average computer. People continue to think if you do something wrong inside a computer you'll it will blow up or catch on fire, its quite comical but sad that people readily embrace god knows what but don't wanna learn how their PC works or even how Windows works. People buy Dell's and such based on warranties and customer support which is increasingly coming from countries like India. Its even funnier when they complain about the level of English spoken by these CSR's. Well if they would stop watching some god-awful Reality Show long enough to take an evening computer basics class you wouldn't need to call MS, Dell or HP.

Apple users sure don't seem to mind having to take their computers into authorized Apple repair stations or Apple Stores, get gauged when most x86/Windows users can perform basic task without much more than reading a few post on the internet.

Its true what you say about Apple save for ONE product, the Pippin Game Console...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
dj4monie is offline  
post #314 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dj4monie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
MS was first with the Internet on your TV box. Google was praised for this, though buggy and content providers putting the kibosh on accessing their web sites fearing a change to their profit model...

They were first with a DVR that offered more storage and a more fluid interface, able to make 3rd Party Plug-ins for with the release of its SDK. As I said, cable card tuners might have saved WMC long term, but they have come two-three years too late. Its incredible to me, my mother as I said has Windows 7 Ultimate, yet wants to watch an outdated tube TV in the office/computer room, when I can set her up with two/three 20" LCD monitors and stream DirecTV into her C2D Dell box In other words putting the TV content and the computer's display in the same area. Just add a tuner/capture card....

I find it funny that the Government wants to use Anti-Trust against MS but not against other industries it could easily break up, Wireless phone/data services maybe???? AT&T and Verzion funnel quite a bit of money into Congressional and Presidential Races...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
dj4monie is offline  
post #315 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post


I'm a glass is half full kind of guy.

Pessimism+is+the+new+optimism.jpg
cybrsage is offline  
post #316 of 316 Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

By Windows 9 it MIGHT not be available, okay but how far off is that? What will be available by then? I use WMC now and previously with XP and Vista, call me an oddball, I also had one of ATI's first All In Wonder cards and used their software to record cable tv programs.
I wanted more than what's available even now on most DVR's. I am not interested in multi-room viewing which is what the Hopper from DISH and 5 tuner DirecTV boxes offer. People often don't like what they don't understand and its no different with the average consumer and the average computer. People continue to think if you do something wrong inside a computer you'll it will blow up or catch on fire, its quite comical but sad that people readily embrace god knows what but don't wanna learn how their PC works or even how Windows works. People buy Dell's and such based on warranties and customer support which is increasingly coming from countries like India. Its even funnier when they complain about the level of English spoken by these CSR's. Well if they would stop watching some god-awful Reality Show long enough to take an evening computer basics class you wouldn't need to call MS, Dell or HP.
Apple users sure don't seem to mind having to take their computers into authorized Apple repair stations or Apple Stores, get gauged when most x86/Windows users can perform basic task without much more than reading a few post on the internet.
Its true what you say about Apple save for ONE product, the Pippin Game Console...

I buy a car without expecting to be able to replace my own engine or wheel bearings. Same with my furnace, my microwave, my TV, etc. I do not think it is out of the ordinary for most people to buy something and simply expect it to work, then when it does not they seek support and help.
cybrsage is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off