AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Three letters.. mkv.. no problem.

That`s for ripping, some people are concerned about actual disk playback.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Understood. But if the powers that be want to make that difficult then there's always a hacker to come along and skrew up that idea. The easier the folks at MS, MPAA and such make it to access there content in the digital age the better for al involved.

That said I've had a stand alone player for years for disc playback so its no big deal..

Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With it being an add-on it also becomes easier to stop supporting if not enough people buy the add-on....than an O/S with a specific support cycle.

If we don't buy it, I bet we will be looking for something different. I wouldn't think Zap2It provides the guide data to Microsoft for free.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
They are working on a PVR add-in for XMBC. However like in any Linux based software there is no DRM support. Sporting Events, First Cable Run Movies and many prime time shows are marked Copy Protected.

The problem with user supported open source projects like Media Portal, XBMC and others is lack of polish.

When you run WMC, it just WORKS. I don't care for .mkv and why should I have to remux files so it plays back in English instead of Japanese?

I can see several things on the horizon for WMC and that's why they didn't "share" it in the consumer preview.
  • Native Blu-Ray playback is likely
  • Different Menu Strip, Simplified Controls
  • Advanced Internet TV (Likely to include Netflix, Hulu and other services)

You'll be able to make your own add-ons as well, as you can currently.

I still will not upgrade unless its vastly different from now and includes these additions.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
If they charge for it- it will include the extra codecs I would imagine.

Microsoft usually does not make crap products. I would doubt it would be the same free version now only paid.

It will be improved and updated, and the cost will be reasonable.

MS haters will still complain though...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Microsoft usually does not make crap products. I would doubt it would be the same free version now only paid.

True, you know what would really push me to upgrade? Take a page out of Google TV's playbook.

Merge OTA/Cable/Sat TV Listings with Bing Search. IE: if you want to watch something and its not on the first three, its on the internet somewhere, Hulu, Netflix, Channel Web Sites, etc. It would REALLY be something if you hooked it into Amazon Instant Video....

Feel like a few episodes of Knight Rider? Search, Amazon Instant Video, log-on account, pick episode, enjoy.

All from your MCE Remote. They should also release a new remote too....

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Anyone who thinks Microsoft is going to remove WMC from Win8 regular edition and then pass the savings on to you is naive. Whatever savings from license costs will go right to their fat pockets.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Anyone who thinks Microsoft is going to remove WMC from Win8 regular edition and then pass the savings on to you is naive. Whatever savings from license costs will go right to their fat pockets.

It's capitalism man.

Good for them for making a product good enough to charge for it.

I don't see anyone else doing better job.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I would argue xbmc is much better for everything but dvr functionality (which is being worked on now and in beta). It's faster, plays everything with built in codecs, has amazing addons, built in scrapers, and a strong development community behind it.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I would argue xbmc is much better for everything but dvr functionality (which is being worked on now and in beta). It's faster, plays everything with built in codecs, has amazing addons, built in scrapers, and a strong development community behind it.

I like mediabrowser with Shark007, and Jriver better.

I prefer MediaMaster for scraping.

to each their own.

But if Microsoft is going to charge for it- then they will probably make sure it's as good as the competition and worth the money.

I doubt it would be more expensive than XBMC and not be better.

If so- no one would buy it. and then, it would either get cheaper or get better. Or just go away.

That's how capitalism works. The pressure is on none of us. It's on Microsoft to make a good product at a price people are willing to pay for it at.

I just laugh at the MS haters always looking for the negative and doom of MS.

The company makes so much money that if you stood on the street corner handing out money to people in piles of $1 million per person... you would die of exhaustion before you could give it all away.

That's not because of some accident.

-

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I hope you are right.

I am the user some above say doesn't exist. Win 7 pro on a laptop with WMC for OTA HDTV from an expresscard.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have no problem, in principle, for paying for the Media Pack add-on. I am assuming that I would get a supported product that has a value to me that is reflected in the cost.

No, what I am objecting to is the fact that this add-on is apparently only going to be made available for the Windows 8 Pro SKU, and not the Windows 8 SKU.

So tell me why do I need BitLocker and BitLocker To Go, Boot from VHD, Client Hyper-V, Domain Join, Encrypting File System, Group Policy and Remote Desktop (host) just to have Media Center?

I have zero interest in those features, they are not currently necessary to run Media Center, and they make the Pro version of Windows 7 about $100 more expensive than Home Premium.

That's $100 down the drain as far as I'm concerned, if that is to be the case for Windows 8

Geoff Coupe
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
As expected this "media pack" is for Windows 8 pro, not Windows 8 consumer so nothing changes there other then the fact that they're letting Windows 8 pro users use WMC. People building dedicated HTPCs should be using Windows 8 consumer anyways.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicoz View Post

As expected this "media pack" is for Windows 8 pro, not Windows 8 consumer so nothing changes there other then the fact that they're letting Windows 8 pro users use WMC. People building dedicated HTPCs should be using Windows 8 consumer anyways.

I don't think you quite understand - WMC is NOT going to be in Windows 8 (the consumer version). It has been pulled, because Microsoft want to save on unnecessary licensing costs. The only way we will get to use WMC on a Windows 8 platform is to get Windows 8 Pro and add the Media Pack...

Well, to be strictly accurate, it may be possible to upgrade an existing Windows 7 Home Premium installation to Windows 8 and preserve the Windows 7 WMC, but I prefer to do fresh installs...

Geoff Coupe
Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

I don't think you quite understand - WMC is NOT going to be in Windows 8 (the consumer version). It has been pulled, because Microsoft want to save on unnecessary licensing costs. The only way we will get to use WMC on a Windows 8 platform is to get Windows 8 Pro and add the Media Pack...

Well, to be strictly accurate, it may be possible to upgrade an existing Windows 7 Home Premium installation to Windows 8 and preserve the Windows 7 WMC, but I prefer to do fresh installs...

Show me where MS says WMC will not be included with Windows 8 consumer.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Show me where MS says WMC will not be included with Windows 8 consumer.

1. Look at the Announcement.

2. Notice that there is no mention of Windows Media Center in the features table.

3. Read the text in the announcement where it says:

"Windows 8 Pro is designed to help tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals obtain a broader set of Windows 8 technologies. It includes all the features in Windows 8 plus features for encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity. Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro."

I would say that is pretty plain that Microsoft views HTPC owners as "enthusiasts" and expects us to buy Windows 8 Pro and the Media Pack.

As supporting evidence, I direct you to:

1. The fact that it seems that Microsoft will no longer be including third party licenses that it deems unnecessary.

2. The rumour last month of the "ProfessionalWMC".

Now, you may wish to continue to believe that all the above simply means that a consumer-level WMC8 will exist in Windows 8 for free. I think you are mistaken. We will find out soon enough, one way or the other.

Geoff Coupe
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:

There is no company that is not prone to putting out bad products, but MS seems to top it, due to the sheer high amount of bad software and products that have been killed off in just a few years by them. And do not even get me started on how they crippled the DOS to not allow Visio-Calc to not run, due to they considered it as an enemy, along with quite a few other software companies that they have taken over.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

2. Notice that there is no mention of Windows Media Center in the features table.

"

Windows 8 Pro is designed to help tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals obtain a broader set of Windows 8 technologies. It includes all the features in Windows 8 plus features for encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity. Windows Media Center will be available as an economical media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro." I would say that is pretty plain that Microsoft views HTPC owners as "enthusiasts" and expects us to buy Windows 8 Pro and the Media Pack.

1. The fact that it seems that Microsoft will no longer be including third party licenses that it deems unnecessary.

Now, you may wish to continue to believe that all the above simply means that a consumer-level WMC8 will exist in Windows 8 for free. I think you are mistaken. We will find out soon enough, one way or the other.

I think the bold should make it clearer...

No WMC in Win8.

Unless they retract of course... you never know...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Liked: 150
Quote:

The company makes so much money that if you stood on the street corner handing out money to people in piles of $1 million per person... you would die of exhaustion before you could give it all away.

That's not because of some accident.

You would only have to give one pile to 26,700 people and then you would have exhausted their entire profit from last year. Yeah, that is $26.7 billion, but not too hard to give away in $1 million chunks...unless you had to do it in all $1, then you would be for a world of hurt!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 150
They should simply make WMC an add on for all levels (well, anything above the crippled Starter version).
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM

I guess it doesn't really matter if they charge or not for a WMC app, if it's unchanged from WMC 7 then what's the point of getting it. With the very few changes in WMC 7 from Vista & now seeing no changes at all in WMC with the Consumer Preview I'm not too optimistic that anything will be different with the RTM of Win 8.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Windows 8 Pro is designed to help tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals obtain a broader set of Windows 8 technologies. It includes all the features in Windows 8 plus features for encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity. Windows Media Center will be available as an economical media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro."

I would say that is pretty plain that Microsoft views HTPC owners as "enthusiasts" and expects us to buy Windows 8 Pro and the Media Pack.

That only says that Media Center is a add-on to Pro, where does it say Media Center will not be included with Win 8 consumer?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

That only says that Media Center is a add-on to Pro, where does it say Media Center will not be included with Win 8 consumer?

OK, continue to believe that you'll get WMC8 in Windows 8.

I'll just point you to Paul Thurrott:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...edition-142857

Windows Media Center. For a small (and as yet revealed) fee, Windows 8 Pro users can purchase Windows Media Center, a feature that used to be included in higher-end versions of Windows. This feature is not available to Windows 8 or Windows RT users.

Geoff Coupe
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, continue to believe that you'll get WMC8 in Windows 8.

I'll just point you to Paul Thurrott:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...edition-142857

Windows Media Center. For a small (and as yet revealed) fee, Windows 8 Pro users can purchase Windows Media Center, a feature that used to be included in higher-end versions of Windows. This feature is not available to Windows 8 or Windows RT users.

Okay, Thurrott usally has the latest correct MS info.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There is no company that is not prone to putting out bad products, but MS seems to top it, due to the sheer high amount of bad software and products that have been killed off in just a few years by them. And do not even get me started on how they crippled the DOS to not allow Visio-Calc to not run, due to they considered it as an enemy, along with quite a few other software companies that they have taken over.

Well Ive personally had a great run with their products over the past few years, so it seems to me that they are doing many good things now.

Regardless, if it turns out to be true that only Pro users can purchase the add-on, then perhaps this is an attempt by MS to phase out MC as it is today. Existing MC users get a way to continue using the product as is and it frees up MS to develop a replacement on a clean slate. We all know MS would love to phase out 'legacy' apps as quickly as possible.

That allows them or a third party to develop something from the ground up using WinRT/Metro development tools. This replacement for MC would be much better simply from the standpoint of using modern design languages (certainly easier to work with than the end-of-the-road mcml language used by MC now). It could be something much more customizable for 3rd party add ons, etc.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tec...-multiply/7706

According to this article, and another I read today, there will only be THREE flavors of Windows 8, and none include WMC. And apparently, only Pro has WMC available for purchase.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Andy babgvant speculated that the reason it might be limited to the Pro version is that whatever remote connection protocol extenders use is going to be limited to the Pro sku.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Andy babgvant speculated that the reason it might be limited to the Pro version is that whatever remote connection protocol extenders use is going to be limited to the Pro sku.

hmm well that's the first legitimate reason for why it only work with Pro.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Sounds like they merged Win7 Premium and Pro together into Win8 Pro. Win8 Standard is basically Win7 Basic.