Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/for-w...selector-blogs

"Windows Media Center will be available as a “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro, at an “economical” price point that presumably covers the cost of licensing technology from Dolby Labs and other codec providers. (I had speculated back in September that this would be a a possibility.)"

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx

"Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Now if they would just make it play blu-ray disc or iso.. since they're asking for extra $$ for it.

post #3 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Now if they would just make it play blu-ray disc or iso.. since they're asking for extra $$ for it.

I'd have to imagine that's part of it. May also pay for the CableLabs certification to work with CableCard stuff.
post #4 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

bummer, cause based on current Win7 prices, Pro is quite a bit more than Home Premium. To have to pay another add on fee on top of the price for Pro admission is quite annoying. There better be some decent changes to WMC, otherwise what's the point to upgrading from 7MC?
post #5 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Unless they plan on actually making changes to Media Center, I see no reason to pay for it. I'll leave my HTPC on Windows 7.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Actually, I'm kind of happy about this. It'll be interesting to see how they make it worth paying for the upgrade, if at all. However for some reason I see this as potential good news from a functionality standpoint.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #7 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

"Windows Media Center will be available as a media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro, at an economical price point that presumably covers the cost of licensing technology from Dolby Labs and other codec providers. (I had speculated back in September that this would be a a possibility.)

In other words, it is a money grab to keep those wanting their fix to stay with the drug dealer, known as Microsoft. Every day you wonder what they are thinking in Redmond, and how much longer they can keep grasping at straws.

This just places one more nail into the coffin, that 8 will die the same fate as Vista did, but a whole lot sooner. It would be ironic if 8 ends up dieing on the table before it even hits the market, same as Office 15.
post #8 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:

That will never happen, due to Microsoft will never pay for the licensing, and if it was on BD, that only proves that it is more bloated than the Encyclopedia Britannica.
post #9 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Liked: 14
I hope Windows 8 Media Center supports 3D Bluray!
post #10 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Wait a second. Just because WMC is an add-in for Windows 8 Pro doesn't mean that it won't be included in the regular Windows 8. It's not really clear from the Windows team blog post.
post #11 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/for-w...selector-blogs

"Windows Media Center will be available as a media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro, at an economical price point that presumably covers the cost of licensing technology from Dolby Labs and other codec providers. (I had speculated back in September that this would be a a possibility.)"

"Windows Media Center will be available as an economical media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro. "

Sadly, the previous sentence in the Windows Blog says that Windows 8 Pro
Quote:
includes all the features in Windows 8 plus features for encryption, virtualization, PC management and domain connectivity.

If I read this right, then since the Pro version supposedly already contains everything that the non-Pro version does, and Media Center is available as an add-on to Pro, then the non-Pro version does NOT include Media Center.
post #12 of 316 Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 134
It is beyond dumb to put WMC as an add-on pack to 8 Pro when it came standard on 7 Home.

Quote:
"Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro. If you are an enthusiast or you want to use your PC in a business environment, you will want Windows 8 Pro."

I'm an enthusiast and I have no interest in 8 Pro, but I do want Media Center. Makes absolutely no sense to only be able to "buy" this unless you have the Pro version.

Here's hoping that xbmc finally finishes their pvr build this year, so I can stick it to Microsoft for making such a stupid decision.
post #13 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Wait a second. Just because WMC is an add-in for Windows 8 Pro doesn't mean that it won't be included in the regular Windows 8. It's not really clear from the Windows team blog post.

Oh yes it is. Brandon LeBlanc explicitly states that the Media Pack (i.e. the WMC equivalent) will only be available as an add-on to Windows 8 Pro.

I have zero interest in the additional features of Windows 8 Pro, but I would have been interested in adding the Media Pack to Windows 8 in order to upgrade my HTPC.

I expect that now I will carry on with my Windows 7 HTPC for as long as possible.

Geoff Coupe
post #14 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

ISO mounting (as most of us use VCD for in Win 7) is a standard feature in Windows 8 AIUI - though whether this is just DVD ISOs or includes Blu-ray ISOs as well is another matter.

I don't think we'll see built-in Blu-ray replay though.
post #15 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 AM

A 'clarification' post lower down in the blog thread suggests that MC will be included in Win8 Std, but an add on for Win8 Pro. Makes sense I suppose since most MC users will be Home based and probably have Win8 Std.

SBR
post #16 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B Ridge View Post

A 'clarification' post lower down in the blog thread suggests that MC will be included in Win8 Std, but an add on for Win8 Pro. Makes sense I suppose since most MC users will be Home based and probably have Win8 Std.

SBR

If you're talking about the comment from someone called GatesDA - as far as I can see this is not someone who has any authority to speak on Microsoft's behalf, and this is his/her very first post...

Geoff Coupe
post #17 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
My guess is WMC will be included with Win 8 and as an add on the pro version. If that doesn't happen it will be offered as a add on because it will finally have Bluray support, but I doubt that will happen.
post #18 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

Oh yes it is. Brandon LeBlanc explicitly states that the Media Pack (i.e. the WMC equivalent) will only be available as an add-on to Windows 8 Pro.

I have zero interest in the additional features of Windows 8 Pro, but I would have been interested in adding the Media Pack to Windows 8 in order to upgrade my HTPC.

I expect that now I will carry on with my Windows 7 HTPC for as long as possible.

Am I reading the same post as everyone else? He says "Windows Media Center will be available as an economical media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro." Where does he say that this will be the only way to use media center?

Back in the Vista days, the Pro version didn't come with media center at all, but home did. It would have made sense to offer Media Center to Pro users as an add-on. Back then, if you wanted the features of Home and Pro, you had to get Ultimate. Now that there is no Ultimate version, it makes a lot of sense to allow Pro users to buy Media Center.
post #19 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Am I the only one cynical enough to think that all these Addons will ONLY be available from the Windows 8 app store? I imagine that they are just using them to drive traffic to their app store, and then they can put out great press releases about how many apps have been downloaded

In any case, Bluray support would be interesting and might be a reason to upgrade from 7mc. Otherwise, I'll likely be in no rush to upgrade.
post #20 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If MC is included in standard 8 (which isn't totally obvious), and as a chargable add-on in 8Pro, then I would suspect we'll see little/no changes in MC in 8. If it's not included in 8, and there's no way of adding it, so it's only available as an 'economical' add-on in 8Pro, then we might actually get something that is worth upgrading to. It just really depends how MS are going to price these different editions.

I'd pay for 8Pro AND the MC add-on IF there are sufficient reasons to do so. If MC is the same as in 7, then I'll stay with 7MC. I just won't make sense to pay for these upgrades/add-ons if we won't see any difference to 7MC for dedicated HTPC's whose front-end is permanently set to MC.
post #21 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Am I the only one cynical enough to think that all these Addons will ONLY be available from the Windows 8 app store? I imagine that they are just using them to drive traffic to their app store, and then they can put out great press releases about how many apps have been downloaded

In any case, Bluray support would be interesting and might be a reason to upgrade from 7mc. Otherwise, I'll likely be in no rush to upgrade.

It is highly unlikely they will add Blu-Ray support as it would be redundant given that all PC makers that ship units with Blu-Ray drives include their own licensed software and it would be a hassle for them to design as they have to incorporate a lot of bits and pieces into WMC to do it.
post #22 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

It is highly unlikely they will add Blu-Ray support as it would be redundant given that all PC makers that ship units with Blu-Ray drives include their own licensed software and it would be a hassle for them to design as they have to incorporate a lot of bits and pieces into WMC to do it.

The same was true with DVD playback in the XP days, but microsoft added dvd playback in Vista to just simplify the whole thing.

I hadn't heard of any changes being made to media center, so I'll be happy to just keep on using 7 for my HTPC. It's not like I even see the desktop anyway. I could probably even roll it back to Vista w/ TV pack and barely notice the difference.
post #23 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here is to hoping that jriver will be a fully working media center / PVR before all of this begins...

Really!!!... imagine the world where HTPC will not need WMC...

Imagine if jriver would port to linux as well...
post #24 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

what is kind of vexing to me is: if it is an add-on w/ additional cost....why limit to only 8 Pro....why can't you add-on to just a standard Home Premium?

I mean, I am fine with it being an "app" available to those who need/want it but not for everyone (as we know how few use it) but why limit it to the one SKU if it is something you have to buy separate anyway.

I assume "Pro" is going to be much more expensive that home Premium and all that other stuff is completely unneeded for a media HTPC.
post #25 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That will never happen, due to Microsoft will never pay for the licensing, and if it was on BD, that only proves that it is more bloated than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

While I do consider BD's to be bloated with fluff when usually I only have time for the movie itself, I hardly would consider the Encyclopedia Britannica bloated. In the big scheme it is the light version of encyclopedias.

That said, I find it amusing that blu-ray dot com actually rates the bonus features and if a disc is sparse on them the overall score can be effected.

post #26 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM

I sincerely hope they will provide a substantial upgrade over the existing 7MC to justify the added cost of Pro + MC addon, possibly a full Metro experience. If not, well, 7MC will do just fine till windows 9 comes around (hopefully with a more sensible MC scheme) or xbmc finishes their pvr projet.
post #27 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Am I reading the same post as everyone else? He says "Windows Media Center will be available as an economical media pack add-on to Windows 8 Pro." Where does he say that this will be the only way to use media center?

Back in the Vista days, the Pro version didn't come with media center at all, but home did. It would have made sense to offer Media Center to Pro users as an add-on. Back then, if you wanted the features of Home and Pro, you had to get Ultimate. Now that there is no Ultimate version, it makes a lot of sense to allow Pro users to buy Media Center.

Currently, WMC ships with these versions of Windows 7 at no charge: Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.

It would make zero sense for WMC to be available as a paid add-on to Windows 8 Pro if it were also to be included free with Windows 8.

Microsoft clearly see the HTPC market as the province of enthusiasts, i.e. the target market of Windows 8 Pro.

Now, it may very well be possible to upgrade a current Windows Home Premium installation to Windows 8, and retain the Windows 7 version of WMC, but that's not what I would wish to do. I like fresh installs...

Geoff Coupe
post #28 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

While I do consider BD's to be bloated with fluff when usually I only have time for the movie itself, I hardly would consider the Encyclopedia Britannica bloated. In the big scheme it is the light version of encyclopedias.

That said, I find it amusing that blu-ray dot com actually rates the bonus features and if a disc is sparse on them the overall score can be effected.

It was an example. In that if MS released their OS on BD, it be bloated like a beached whale in Summer heat, or be as large as a bookcase with the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

As for Windows, there should only be two versions. Server and Pro, period.
post #29 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

It would make zero sense for WMC to be available as a paid add-on to Windows 8 Pro if it were also to be included free with Windows 8.

It makes perfect sense! The problem with including WMC is licensing costs, and why would Microsoft want to pay licensing fees for home theater software for its Pro version, which is geared towards the business market? It makes a lot more sense for it to include the home theater software in its OS geared towards home users. This is exactly what they did with Vista. Making it a paid add-on for Pro users allows those who use their business computers at home (or those who use Pro for other reasons) to use media center if they're willing to pay for it.

Again, the blog post is still ambiguous to me, but it makes perfect sense that WMC would be included for free with Windows 8 'Home' and as a paid add-in for Windows 8 Pro.
post #30 of 316 Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

It makes perfect sense! The problem with including WMC is licensing costs, and why would Microsoft want to pay licensing fees for home theater software for its Pro version, which is geared towards the business market? It makes a lot more sense for it to include the home theater software in its OS geared towards home users. This is exactly what they did with Vista. Making it a paid add-on for Pro users allows those who use their business computers at home (or those who use Pro for other reasons) to use media center if they're willing to pay for it.

Again, the blog post is still ambiguous to me, but it makes perfect sense that WMC would be included for free with Windows 8 'Home' and as a paid add-in for Windows 8 Pro.

Eh? Pay millions in licensing costs just so that WMC can be included in Windows 8 for free, and try a recoup a tiny fraction of those license costs from those who are daft enough to buy Windows 8 Pro, just so that they can download a paid-for app that comes for free in Windows 8?

I don't see the logic...

Geoff Coupe
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page