Poor HBO HD picture quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else notice a difference in PQ on HBO HD? Or it may be my system... When watching Game of thrones it is very noticable, especially the blacks and dsrker scenes. As far as I can tell, no other HD channels look as bad.
I am using the onboard GPU (intel HD3000) with the infiniTV 4 in WMC. I have the K-light codec pack installed. My display is a 50" panny plasma via HDMI from HTPC. Does HBO do or use smething the others dont?

Just thought I would get some other opinions to see if anyone else noticed this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Liked: 11
Are you seeing a flickering in the picture? If not, what exactly is the issue you're having with the picture quality?

If it's flickering, then turn off the dynamic contrast in the Intel video driver menu.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM

can you take a pic or screen grab?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Its hard to describe. I notice it the most when watching dark scenes in game of thrones.. Its almost a bit blurry and the blacks Are somewhat washed out. It does seem to "flicker" a bit too. I cant find any dynamic contrast setting in the intel graphics control panel.

Im not sure if I can capture what Im seeing well enough to post it. Again, I dont see it other than on HBO, specifically on their series. I will try and see
If its there on other channels as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I noticed the same thing watching Game of Thrones this past Sunday, but haven't seen it on any other TV I've watched. Dark scenes felt almost flat, like instead of thousands of shades of gray it was just two shades and then black. I haven't watched anything else on their channels really (GoT was all it took to get my wife and I to pay the monthly fee for HBO), so I'm not sure if it was just that series, or the network.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

(GoT was all it took to get my wife and I to pay the monthly fee for HBO).

Yeah, its that good...

Maybe it looks like what is called "crushed blacks". Very noticable if its a dark scene with a fire in the shot.. Almost like the TV cant handle it. But I dont think its that.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Sure it isn't just compression from your provider?

Who's your provider? Is there a connonality hear? I haven't watched it yet but I've got UVerse because of the simlicity and WAF which is extraordinarily hard to achieve as she's not a techie at all. At any rate, I'll take a gander at GoT and report back what I see which I'm sure will be a buttload of pixelated macroblocking.. but getting season 1 on BRD should be incredible.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Sure it isn't just compression from your provider?

Who's your provider? Is there a connonality hear? I haven't watched it yet but I've got UVerse because of the simlicity and WAF which is extraordinarily hard to achieve as she's not a techie at all. At any rate, I'll take a gander at GoT and report back what I see which I'm sure will be a buttload of pixelated macroblocking.. but getting season 1 on BRD should be incredible.

Time Warner cable in new england (maine).

A friend of mine just dowloads the episodes the next day (torrent) which is a big no-no, but he told me they are like watching BLu Rays. Pretty sad that those of us who want to do the right thing have to suffer with poor quality.

I will definately be bying the BRD for future viewing. It may be my favorite show ever. (still not sure if it will beat out Rome for my all time favorite.)
post #9 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Next day torrents are just cable caps, they aren't Blu-ray quality but may use more bitrate than your provider which is why they may look better to you, but they are definitely not Blu-ray quality.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM

I use Windows media player and a Ceton tuner to record HBO (from Cox). I noticed that the size of the 1 hour of GT (recorded on 4/15) the was only 4.1 GB for 1 hour & 5 minutes of recording. On 4/8 it was only 4.0 GB. Previous weeks it was more like 4.5 to 5 GB.

Now broadcast network shows (recorded off the air) are often 6.5 GB for an hour long recording - so it appears that compression may be part of the culprit.

Ben Sanford
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Yes have the same problem here with HBO. My provider is DTV. Been this way for years. Starz has a superior picture on DTV.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 AM

We just put the tv up and I turned on HBO and Game of Thrones was on. I shut the set off I was so upset about how dark the picture was. You could not see anything. We figured we set it up wrong. Last night I watched it again and it was very dark. The big C was dark as well. We compared it to the other tv and it was very noticable that the HBO shows were on the dark side. Even the scenes in daylight were dark compared to our other tv.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro01581 View Post

We just put the tv up and I turned on HBO and Game of Thrones was on. I shut the set off I was so upset about how dark the picture was. You could not see anything. We figured we set it up wrong. Last night I watched it again and it was very dark. The big C was dark as well. We compared it to the other tv and it was very noticable that the HBO shows were on the dark side. Even the scenes in daylight were dark compared to our other tv.

We have charter and are in Massachusetts.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page